CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warburrito's eco / aero Protege5 build *new

Pro5

Yeah, definately need an alignment. Also how much air was in that tire. I run a zero toe alignment to minimize wear and maybe gain a few mpgs in the long run. Still tracks straight and I haven't had any issues in the 5 years that I've been doing it.

2003 Protege5

I run them all at 36, but sometimes a few would get down to 30ish....can't remember which ones.
    Warburrito
    03 Protege5 manual (blue) - just bought in April 2015...mods to come
    01 Protege ES manual (tan) - SELLING with over 247k miles and still running -Custom CAI, Mazdapeed lowering springs, Nitto Motivos (best tires ever) on Mazda6 rims w spacers and longer bolts to fit
    93 Ford Probe GT manual (silver) - SOLD with over 200k miles and was still running - Fisk Phantom tires on stock rims, best year for PGT as interior design was way better and car was lighter with only drivers side airbag and no reinforcements in the doors
    94 Ford Probe GT manual (black) - SOLD with over 200k miles and was still running

2003 Protege5

New slave cylinder installed and I'm back on the road. Researched tire wear patterns and confirmed its most likely alignment issues. The cupping can be caused by a bad shock too, but could be bad toe settings. Inside wear is bad toe settings too. I have some work cut out for me after this Disney vacation in a few weeks.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2003 Protege5

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2003 Protege5

Luckily, before I paid for an alignment I realized the bushings on my driver's side trailing arm were completely shot. That's probably what caused the tire wear in the pictures below. For $97 I ordered some Megan Racing ones with upgraded bushings - model MRS-MZ-1022. Hopefully they'll arrive soon so I can prevent this from happening to my new tires.

I have had the P2009 and P0660 errors recently which I thought meant the VTCS vacuum solenoid on my IM was going bad. I tried the BaiFM K5T49090 unit instead of the Dorman 911-707 because it was only $12 on Amazon. My check engine light was still coming on so I swapped it over to the VICS position and no more check engine lights. Since my VICS system was having issues I may see my FE go up. I plan on removing my VTCS system later on, but I'll need a weekend free to do it right with a good P&P. I might even paint and bake it like my calipers which'll add even more down time.

2003 Protege5

I'm the worst mechanic...couldn't get my trailing arm off to replace so I'm gonna have to have the shop do it. Soaked with PB for days and used my electric impact but the front bolt wouldn't budge.

On a more positive note...even with the larger, heavier rims, a busted trailing arm, and running AC about half the time I still got 31.42 mpg on my last tank! I was really worried these rims would kill my FE but I guess not.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by Warburrito View Post
    Luckily, before I paid for an alignment I realized the bushings on my driver's side trailing arm were completely shot. That's probably what caused the tire wear in the pictures below. For $97 I ordered some Megan Racing ones with upgraded bushings - model MRS-MZ-1022. Hopefully they'll arrive soon so I can prevent this from happening to my new tires.

Those tire pics make me dizzy they are so wonky!
    Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current

2002 mazda protege 5

....couldn't get my trailing arm off to replace so I'm gonna have to have the shop do it. Soaked with PB for days and used my electric impact but the front bolt wouldn't budge.
    Get yourself a big breaker bar with a three foot handle and some six point sockets.

I've got an electric impact too but nothing delivers more torque than reefing it by hand.

The Diagram Dude

2003 Protege5

Thanks for the suggestion PCB. I ordered a 39" 3/4 breaker bar and socket and it should arrive today.

Does anyone know if there's any reason I can't swap these Megan trailing arms so that the flat side faces the outside of the car instead of the cutout side? I think that would look a lot better.

2002 mazda protege 5

... I ordered a 39" 3/4 breaker bar and socket and it should arrive today...
    Just a bit of an FYI (although you'd probably figure it out)

You probably won't have much room to move the handle under the car and being as the bar doesn't ratchet, you can pull your socket off and rotate it 1/4 turn until the handle is where you need it.

2003 Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    Just a bit of an FYI (although you'd probably figure it out)

You probably won't have much room to move the handle under the car and being as the bar doesn't ratchet, you can pull your socket off and rotate it 1/4 turn until the handle is where you need it.
    So you're really saying I should use a poor man's lift by laying 2 wooden boards across a ditch, driving across, then removing the boards to work underneath?

Just Kidding! Thanks for the tip, I hadn't thought about the 1/4 turn but it makes sense.

2002 mazda protege 5

So you're really saying I should use a poor man's lift by laying 2 wooden boards across a ditch, driving across, then removing the boards to work underneath?...
    That's how I worked on my last ride !!
    I didn't bother with the wood though....

2003 Protege5

MEGAN RACING TRAILING ARMS

The Megan Racing MRS-MZ-1022 trailing arms showed up last week and after a HUGE hassle removing the old ones I got them installed. I heard the Megan arms have a tendency to rust so I filled the corners with hot glue (all my silicone was dried out), gave them a light sanding, and applied a few coats of clear before installing them. I thought they looked better with the flat side facing out so that's how I mounted them, even though it makes the badging sit upside down. If there's some reason this will destroy my car in the future please let me know, but it seems harmless enough. Does anyone know how to Photoshop rust out of pictures?

I also picked up 2 additional Mazda6 rims last Friday for $35 a piece, just in case any get bent in the future. Its Indiana...all rims have a limited lifespan with the mammoth-sized potholes everywhere. I think the dirt roads in Latvia are better maintained. When I go for an alignment I'm also gonna have them re-balance the wheels. I'd like to be prepared if they find any issues. If not I'm set for the future.

Registered Member

lolmsp lolms3

ain't that the truth. my wife's rims got bent because our neighborhood roads were under construction for about a year and a half.

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

I think I would go for the MSP ECU, higher octane fuel is more efficient depending on how you drive. the extra premium for the better fuel will pay itself off with more power and efficiency.

your car is manual, correct?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast