Hello: 2016 M6 Touring - Engine Break-in

slowpoke6

:
2016 Mazda 6 Touring
Hi Everybody. I just put a deposit down on a 2106 M6 Touring 6MT in Meteor Grey. I was looking at the Sport, but my local dealers had very limited stock, so I've decided to move up to Touring. I'll take delivery in about two weeks.

My first car was a 1981 RX-7, and when that one was totaled, my second car was another 1981 RX-7. I sold it in 1992 and haven't had a Mazda since.

I doubt I'll be doing much or any modding, but I will be looking to take good care of this beauty and plan to keep it for the long haul.

I'm planning to run the OEM Mazda high moly oil and probably WIX or OEM filters (oil, air, cabin air) on the severe schedule (Texas heat and a good number of short trips). I'd be interested to hear any tips or experiences on the subject of fluids, filters, general maintenance, and common problems (or links to threads that you found useful).

I know it is generally a subject of great debate with modern engines, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts about engine and vehicle break-in.

The car has about 40 miles on it as it sits on the dealer lot. My plan is to follow the manual, which says:

No special break-in is necessary, but a few precautions in the first 1,000 km (600 miles) may add to the performance, economy, and life of your Mazda.
  • Do not race the engine.
  • Do not maintain one constant speed, either slow or fast, for a long period of time.
  • Do not drive constantly at full-throttle or high engine rpm for extended periods of time.
  • Avoid unnecessary hard stops.
  • Avoid full-throttle starts.

But also to do a some early rounds of very modified "hard break-in" (still consistent with the directions in the manual) with the idea of getting some high cylinder pressure and ring expansion, while maintaining good engine cooling. This may be unnecessary (the factory fill is synthetic, which implies that at least the initial engine break-in is already complete), but not knowing what was done in terms of break-in at the factory, it might still help. At worst it will return no benefit, but playing witchdoctor and waving the magic chicken is fun. Plus it's a new car so I have to be OCD about it for at least a little while!

Anyway, just wanted to say, "Hello."
See you around!

I did my first oil change at 7500k. Been using Amsoil Signature ever since. I've been changing it at about 12k with Amsoil filter. Currently at 83,500 miles and still averaging 31-36 MPG consistently.

Back