Comparing my 2016 GT to my Jeep Renegade Trailhawk

Well my sister has a 2012 Fiat 500 and has not one problem in the 4 year of ownership, my sister in law drives a Jeep Compass for the last 3 years and not one problem and my other sister in law drives a 3 year old Jeep Cherokee she loves it, not one problem. So based on personal connections to 3 people owning new Jeeps, I'm confidant mine will hold up just fine. People hated the CJ-7's for reliability and mine ran and ran and ran until the floor rusted out.

I still like my CX-5, just don't think it's as great as all the reviews I've read.

You have a sample of 3. Based on 3 people I know with a CX-5, one has lost an oil pump, one has last a transmission, and one has had their transmission replaced under a recall or they would have lost it. Does this mean the CX-5 is unreliable?

This Jeep is a Fiat 4x4. Fiat has the worst reliability of all autos sold in the U.S. Please keep us updated on your Jeepot.

I had considered the Renegade as my next vehicle, but that 9 speed ZF tranny killed it for me. I had not read anything good about them and did not like it when I test one. If it had a Chrysler six speed transmission, it would be on my short list.

I look at it this way, it's got the same warranty as the Mazda, Drive train is covered until 60,000 miles. It never bothered me to take a car in for service, either they shuttle me to work or give a loner to drive. I would prefer to drive what I like. I'm not saying it's the best car, it's just what I like and you only live in this world once.

Another plus was the audio upgrade I did with just speakers sounds better then the Bose in the Mazda, which I know isn't saying much, but what a let down Bose system was.

I look at it this way, it's got the same warranty as the Mazda, Drive train is covered until 60,000 miles. It never bothered me to take a car in for service, either they shuttle me to work or give a loner to drive. I would prefer to drive what I like. I'm not saying it's the best car, it's just what I like and you only live in this world once.

Agreed. You should drive what you want. I really liked the Renegade when I test drove it but didn't like the way it shifted. I don't know if it breaks down more than other transmissions or not. You should be covered if it does.

Good luck with it. :)

unbiased approach here as i'm looking for a CX-5 but not a current owner.
I rented cars a lot for work and instantly fell in love with the handling and overall quality build of the Mazda.

I drove both Limited and Trailhawk Cherokees and while I did like their design and roominess, it was the handling that didn't impress me. Didn't have the confidence at 70 on the highway in the Jeep that I did in the CX-5.
And as others have reported, that transmission is iffy. Didn't notice it in the Trailhawk model, but the Limited(s) i've driven seemed like they couldn't decide what gear they want to be in.
That hesitation in gear selection made it enough of a cause for me to not want to be behind the wheel. Great looking vehicle, poor transmission.

I traded in my 2014 Trailhawk (Cherokee) v-6 with 22000 miles for my 2016 CX-5 AWD about a year ago and couldnt be happier.
The Jeep's interior / ride were superior but the handling and responsiveness of the CX-5 more than make up for it.
The 9-speed (yeah right) ZF transmission is kludgy and downright dangerous, even after multiple firmware flashes it refused to downshift or upshift reliably.
After multiple trips to the dealer - "sorry, operating as designed" - i gave up and took the hit on resale.
Not to mention the AC that took a week to fix as well as the shorted electronic parking brake module (water infiltration in trunk because of unsealed seam from factory) that left me stranded.
Definitely the first and LAST Jeep I will ever own - if you have any doubts, just go check the Jeep user groups.
If you must own a Jeep, avoid the ZF transmission

I like my CX-5, and it handles well. I do miss compact SUVs that were more outdoor-oriented even at the cost of superior road handling.
If Jeep offered the Tigershark with a manual tranny or better yet, the larger Renegade-like Compass replacement coming next year with a manual, I might be tempted.

There were rumors a few years back that Toyota was considering a RAV4-based mini FJ-cruiser. That would have been nice, but it didn't happen. I do think the market could use an outdoor/utility compact SUV like the old RAV4/Escape/CR-V.

i like my cx-5, and it handles well. I do miss compact suvs that were more outdoor-oriented even at the cost of superior road handling.
If jeep offered the tigershark with a manual tranny or better yet, the larger renegade-like compass replacement coming next year with a manual, i might be tempted.

There were rumors a few years back that toyota was considering a rav4-based mini fj-cruiser. That would have been nice, but it didn't happen. I do think the market could use an outdoor/utility compact suv like the old rav4/escape/cr-v.
yes

This Jeep is a Fiat 4x4. Fiat has the worst reliability of all autos sold in the U.S. Please keep us updated on your Jeepot.

I don't like Jeeps but saying a Jeep is a 4x4 Fiat is a serious issue.
Jeep did 4x4s decades before the merge with Fiat and has nothing to do with Fiats over some money shared.

How come all those people complaining about the transmission issues shifting our of park never used the PARKING BRAKE...(dunno)

Jeep renegade is made in Italy and is basically a Fiat 500x. So yea. The renegade is a Fiat. May be a great suv by still a fiat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep renegade is made in Italy and is basically a Fiat 500x. So yea. The renegade is a Fiat. May be a great suv by still a fiat

I did not know that. In that case I could see some reliability issues down the road. Italian built Jeep seems like a bad recipe.
I take back my comment above then. I apologize. This Jeep is a Fiat (screwy)

How come all those people complaining about the transmission issues shifting our of park never used the PARKING BRAKE...(dunno)

People don't care about that. They care that JEEP did the N23 recall which KILLED 4WD low, and Neutral (can't tow it anymore).

Another plus was the audio upgrade I did with just speakers sounds better then the Bose in the Mazda, which I know isn't saying much, but what a let down Bose system was.

Seriously? That sucks. Jeep used to be 5/100k miles.

I traded in my 2014 Trailhawk (Cherokee) v-6 with 22000 miles for my 2016 CX-5 AWD about a year ago and couldnt be happier.
The Jeep's interior / ride were superior but the handling and responsiveness of the CX-5 more than make up for it.
The 9-speed (yeah right) ZF transmission is kludgy and downright dangerous, even after multiple firmware flashes it refused to downshift or upshift reliably.
After multiple trips to the dealer - "sorry, operating as designed" - i gave up and took the hit on resale.
Not to mention the AC that took a week to fix as well as the shorted electronic parking brake module (water infiltration in trunk because of unsealed seam from factory) that left me stranded.
Definitely the first and LAST Jeep I will ever own - if you have any doubts, just go check the Jeep user groups.
If you must own a Jeep, avoid the ZF transmission

I don't think you CAN. The ZF is in all of the Jeep products, as I understand it, unless it's a Wrangler?

It is a built at the Fiat plant, but it's still a Jeep, the Trailhawk has different front and rear bars and has different shocks and some other stuff to make it trial rated like a Jeep. You can see how it does if you search youtube. It is a bit different then your lower model Renegades. It also it very capable of towing.

It is a built at the Fiat plant, but it's still a Jeep, the Trailhawk has different front and rear bars and has different shocks and some other stuff to make it trial rated like a Jeep. You can see how it does if you search youtube. It is a bit different then your lower model Renegades. It also it very capable of towing.

Sorry but it is still a Fiat. The chassis is Fiat 500X, its built on the Fiat 500X assembly line. Adding some different bolt on parts does not change its parents. Its an imported Fiat with Jeep styling cues. If this makes it a good or bad car is a different subject. But it is a Jeep in name only.

The company is Fiat/Chrysler, so to say it's not a Jeep is BS. Lots of cars share platforms. This wasn't a thread to bash Jeeps or Mazda's. Just my opinion on which one I like better. I'm driving the Jeep again and am very happy. The Mazda is also staying, It is a much nicer highway cruiser and will serve us well.

If anything I would say the Jeep engineers had more to do with the Fiat 500x then Fiat had to do with the Renegade.

Never sure why people have to turn every thread into a pissing match.

Last edited:
Back