Side Wind

xb101

:
cx-5
Hi Guys,

I am planning on buying the Sport Nav AWD 175PS CX-5, I had a test drive and enjoyed it a lot, however, as I live in Scotland and drive often on motorways I was wondering how the car was coping with strong side wind blows in openspaces. I also heard a couple of people complaining of wind noise, does anybody have any experience with this ?

cheers,

Xb.

I live in the Derbyshire Peak District and drive over the tops and then on the motorway to work. It barely deviates in bad weather and although I've seen people complaining about wind noise, I've never noticed. I think it's the quietest car I've ever had.

By the way, I can get a really good discount at my local dealer. It would mean a train ride unless you got a vehicle to trade but pm me if you want to speak to them.

Hi Guys,

I am planning on buying the Sport Nav AWD 175PS CX-5, I had a test drive and enjoyed it a lot, however, as I live in Scotland and drive often on motorways I was wondering how the car was coping with strong side wind blows in openspaces. I also heard a couple of people complaining of wind noise, does anybody have any experience with this ?

cheers,

Xb.

From my own experience, the CX5 is a very nice car but wind noise is one of its weaknesses, even for the Facelift version. Compared to the latest Kia Sportage and the now discontinued Accord Euro (Acrura TSX in the US). The wind noise is very noticeable at highway speed.

However, everything is relative. If you have not been in a quiter car before then this probably would not bother you. In any case this is unlikey to be a show stopper for most people unless NVH is your #1 priority. If that being the case then CX5 might not be the right choice.

I would say road noise in the CX-5 is a bigger issue than wind noise and the car can be adversely affected by strong side winds (any vehicle with this much slab-sided sheet metal is subject to this to a degree), but it is not a deal-breaker by any means.

Hi Guys,

cheers,

Xb.

I think this is just physics and alignment (tires/suspension). It has pretty decent sail area, but so does ANY SUV. Toe can determine how easily "pushed" a vehicle is, in my experience.

I find the side wind on the FWD CX-5 to be very noticeable. Its there because the CX-5 is tall and its designed to cut through air going forward. That's said the extreme case of cross winds I experienced was with a Toyota Prius. Think about it they share some common traits. Lightweight cars. Low drag but tall side profiles. Thinner low rolling resistance tires.

I'm assuming the AWD would help but getting wider wheels and stickier tires should keep you planted vs those strong crosswinds.

Back