How to change "Rear" Differential fluid ?

kulkarnipb

:
2012, CX-9 Touring
I have 2012 touring 4wd CX-9.

I found the steps to change transmission fluid at -
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123842378

If I'm not wrong - for cx-9 front differential fluid and transmission fluid are same. However rear differential fluid is different. Is this understanding correct ? If so - how should I change rear differential fluid ?
Can someone please provide steps.

For the front the trans fluid is either j3309 or T-IV. For the transfer case it is 75w140 and that is if they are willing to change it as some dealers will claim that it is a non-serviceable unit. As for the rear differential it is I believe 80w90 gear oil Gl-5. The rear you can do yourself or have a garage do it. The trans I would let the dealer do it which is what I do and the transfer case, if you cannot do it on your own following avidiens instructions then you need to find someone willing to do it for you. Hope this info helps.

For the front the trans fluid is either j3309 or T-IV. For the transfer case it is 75w140 and that is if they are willing to change it as some dealers will claim that it is a non-serviceable unit. As for the rear differential it is I believe 80w90 gear oil Gl-5. The rear you can do yourself or have a garage do it. The trans I would let the dealer do it which is what I do and the transfer case, if you cannot do it on your own following avidiens instructions then you need to find someone willing to do it for you. Hope this info helps.
Awesome. I can try by myself first. Thank you very much.

Thank you. Do I need torque wrench and replacement screw/washer etc ?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nope. The differential fluid is thick and under no pressure so it's just a basic screw in reusable plug.

Be forewarned, used differential fluid is some of the worst smelling stuff in the world. I highly recommend wearing some good rubber gloves because that smell permeates you when you get it on your hands. The new fluid only smells slightly better. :)

A fluid pump will make refilling it a lot easier since I'm going to bet the fill plug hole isn't in a convenient place to try and get a quart bottle up next to. I haven't done the CX9 diff yet but I've never worked on a car where there was room to get to the fill plug without a pump.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Last edited:
make sure you remove the top(fill) plug before you remove the bottom(drain) plug. Also, they do not use the same size wrench - one is 21mm and the other is 22mm (or is it 22 and 23, I forgot). As for the washers, they are aluminum and you can get them online or at an auto store, I don't remember the exact size, or like eskimo said you can reuse them.

Thanks.

make sure you remove the top(fill) plug before you remove the bottom(drain) plug. Also, they do not use the same size wrench - one is 21mm and the other is 22mm (or is it 22 and 23, I forgot). As for the washers, they are aluminum and you can get them online or at an auto store, I don't remember the exact size, or like eskimo said you can reuse them.

Thanks. So I did it finally and created a video too so other beginners can benefit from it ;-).

Back