Throttle Blip on Downshifts?

:
Mazda CX-5 Akera
I hardly shift gears manually in the Auto but can we say the CX-5 throttle blips on downshift only and not on upshifts? I will probably give it a good test when I get a chance when the wife is not driving it. Just not proficient on the knowledge of throttle blipping as I hardly drove manuals. What are the advantages of throttle blipping on upshift and downshifts?

Yes, the automatic gearbox does rev-match downshifts. Upshifts do not usually require a rev match because the rpms are falling. If it didn't rev match the downshift it could upset the balance of the car in a turn and cause a skid. Manual owners automatically know to do this because if it's done improperly it feels very harsh, is hard on the clutch and drivetrain, and will absolutely spin or skid a car on a track. I wish you CX-5 guys got the paddle shifters my 6 got.

Yes, the automatic gearbox does rev-match downshifts. Upshifts do not usually require a rev match because the rpms are falling. If it didn't rev match the downshift it could upset the balance of the car in a turn and cause a skid. Manual owners automatically know to do this because if it's done improperly it feels very harsh, is hard on the clutch and drivetrain, and will absolutely spin or skid a car on a track. I wish you CX-5 guys got the paddle shifters my 6 got.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info. Yes I wished we got the paddle shifters but I believe quite a few members here have installed some aftermarket ones. Always wished we got the HUD too.

Ah ok. Thanks for the info. Yes I wished we got the paddle shifters but I believe quite a few members here have installed some aftermarket ones. Always wished we got the HUD too.

The paddle shift install is pretty straight forward and doesn't take to long. I highly recommend it!

In sport mode downshifts with blip of throttle (rev-match) easy to add paddle shifter for $200 as parts are available from Mazda

automatic transmissions do not need to blip upshifts because they do not shift that slowly.

the blips on the downshifts are fantastic however.

I know, I come from a UX background. But, that's why I mean for Sport mode only. I personally would sacrifice GPS for tach in sport mode in the HUD. Anyways, don't mean to hijack the thread. Downshift blips are great =)

I guess the "blips" are latency issues. Yeah I felt it on my diesel. I would suggest to the TS to shift manually in situations where downshifting is necessary.

I know, I come from a UX background. But, that's why I mean for Sport mode only. I personally would sacrifice GPS for tach in sport mode in the HUD. Anyways, don't mean to hijack the thread. Downshift blips are great =)

Strongly agree with this. Would be a neat little programming after-thought.

I guess the "blips" are latency issues. Yeah I felt it on my diesel. I would suggest to the TS to shift manually in situations where downshifting is necessary.

No, they are not latency issues. You do not follow what the OP is saying when he means blip. He means that the car blips the the throttle to bring the RPMs up as the transmission is engaging the lower gear just like in a manual transmission. Lets say you are in 4th gear at 3000rpm and want to downshift to third gear (roughly 4000rpm) then you will want to bring the RPMs up to the correct engine speed for third gear based on the speed you are going. I find that the Mazda transmission is absolutely excellent at doing this. The downshifts are very responsive, and Downshifting to 3500RPM in the gas engine on the highway results in the most beautiful intake snarl I have ever heard. The downshifts on this transmission are so good, I look for opportunities to downshift and pass while coasting so I can hear that gem of a 2.5L do its work.

I hardly shift gears manually in the Auto but can we say the CX-5 throttle blips on downshift only and not on upshifts? I will probably give it a good test when I get a chance when the wife is not driving it. Just not proficient on the knowledge of throttle blipping as I hardly drove manuals. What are the advantages of throttle blipping on upshift and downshifts?

From how I understand it the reason why people rev match on downshifts is to avoid the wheels from momentarily locking up as the engine catches up to the transmission or vice versa. Many motorcycles now have slipper clutches for this reason to avoid the rear wheel from locking up on hard downshifts. The bike I just sold, a Kawasaki Z1000, did not have a slipper clutch so I always rev matched downshifts on that. I can't say I ever downshifted hard enough to lock up the rear tire, but I surely didn't want to test it out.

This guy explains it much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnXLZg_O1rk

Excellent YouTube channel for car nuts

From how I understand it the reason why people rev match on downshifts is to avoid the wheels from momentarily locking up as the engine catches up to the transmission or vice versa. Many motorcycles now have slipper clutches for this reason to avoid the rear wheel from locking up on hard downshifts. The bike I just sold, a Kawasaki Z1000, did not have a slipper clutch so I always rev matched downshifts on that. I can't say I ever downshifted hard enough to lock up the rear tire, but I surely didn't want to test it out.

This guy explains it much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnXLZg_O1rk

Excellent YouTube channel for car nuts

the whole point of rev matching is to reduce wear/friction to your clutch and improve responsiveness. the shift will be slow and unresponsive if you do not bring up engine speed to the appropriate RPM first.

Yes yes indeed. Another benefit to using certain torque converter auto transmissions compared to other types :)

Thanks for the translation. [emoji16] So I am presuming blip is the normal engine reaction or tranny kinda "forcing" the engine to speed up due to the downshift?

For more advanced versions look at some old Best Motoring videos and see how they rev match the engine before diving into a corner and dropping gears on manual cars.

Thanks for the translation. [emoji16] So I am presuming blip is the normal engine reaction or tranny kinda "forcing" the engine to speed up due to the downshift?

Essentially yes. The transmission wants the engine to be at the correct speed for the lower gear to aid in smoothness and overall response, so its not really a forced reaction from the engine, but something that both units want to operate smoothly with each other.

For more advanced versions look at some old Best Motoring videos and see how they rev match the engine before diving into a corner and dropping gears on manual cars.

Rev matching is not an uncommon term, but I will admit that being able to properly rev mathed largely depends on how your clutch grabs (some arent friendly for smooth rev matching) and also how responsive the engine is when you blip the throttle to quickly bring revs up. You basically just need to know what engine RPM is appropriate for which speed in which gear, along with some practise to get it right.

Back