2016 CX9 Owners Thread

Today temp was 85 at delivery and seems ok. If it changes I'll let you know. But I agree you should wait for more feedback on warmer climates. Are you interested in a cx9?

Since I own a 2010 CX-9 GT, yes, I am interested in owning one again. I dislike CUVs because of how they drive, but my better half would not be caught dead in a minivan, so the CX-9 is our compromise. Before the CX-9, we owned an FX35, another CUV that's fun to drive. Driving dynamics are very important to us. Other than the CX-9, the Acura MDX, Volvo XC90, and Audi Q7 are the only other alternatives for us. All those cost significantly more than a CX-9 Signature for pretty much the same driving dynamics, so the CX-9 is punching above its class. I'm also waiting to see how the 2017 Toyota Highlander SE drives. With its engine and transmission derived from the new RX350, along with the addition of a sport suspension, it has piqued my interest.

This is my Red Cx9 GT

2.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

I debated between Soul Red, Machine Gray, and the Snowflake White Pearl that I finally got.

The fact that I already have a 2016 Soul Red MX-5 kind of eliminated that for me, and the white just "pops" in the sun.

Enjoy your new ride!

Nice!

I debated between Soul Red, Machine Gray, and the Snowflake White Pearl that I finally got.

The fact that I already have a 2016 Soul Red MX-5 kind of eliminated that for me, and the white just "pops" in the sun.

Enjoy your new ride!

Thanks! for me was just the opossite: I already had the old CX9 in white so our options was red or blue. Blue is only available with black interiors so we go for the red one. And we already have a Rogue 2015 white.

Note: I need to take the photos with a good camera. I take the pic with my Blackberry so the color does not really match the real red color. When the day is clear with good sun, the color is amazing!

Ok...let's try this again. For those of you with the new CX9; I have a 2010 and want to know if the reduction in cargo is a deal breaker or do you think there's enough space for the majority of costumers??

I'm nearly at 1,000 miles and I've noticed a few new things.

A really cool feature I enabled is "walk away lock". When exiting the vehicle it beeps, you walk a bit further away from the car and it beeps again and locks the car. Now I only have to touch the door handle when unlocking the car. First world problem solved!

The engine note in mid range is very Subaru boxer like. I actually quite enjoy it now.

A guilty pleasure for me with turbo cars is hearing the turbo spool and forcing the BPV to go off. This engine has a lot of turbo/BPV sound with the windows down. Windows up you don't really hear it.

As far as MPGs, I am hitting the EPA numbers no problem. If I try I can easily exceed the highway number of 27 for my signature.

As far as issues I think the AC is underpowered like others have mentioned. I'm going to take the car into the dealer and ask if the AC is properly charged with refrigerant. It just blows cool air and not cold air. I've gone on 30 minute drives with the AC at full blast on 95 degree days and the car never cooled down. Fan was maxed the whole time and got annoying, I also never felt cooled off. I was borderline sweating in my car with AC on blast!

This has to be the latest in a year an automaker has ever released a new model using that year. To think the new 2016 Sorento came out nearly a year and a half ago (around February of '15) and there's a million of them already on the road. While the new CX-9 just launched.

Clearly Mazda didn't want to skip a model year but didn't want the old model carried into 2016.

Don't remember exactly, but recall dealer said something to do with government standards (NHTSA, EPA?) and what the vehicle qualified for (or something like that??). Meh... could've been blowing smoke...

Looking forward to picking one up, one day, just not now.

So can any owners chime in on the collision mitigation system? Reviewers have complained of oversensitivity even when the sensitivity level is turned down saying the vehicle sometimes makes panic stops where there is no need. This could be a very annoying issue and potentially dangerous, ironically. Wouldn't want to have to shut it off on start up every time.

So can any owners chime in on the collision mitigation system? Reviewers have complained of oversensitivity even when the sensitivity level is turned down saying the vehicle sometimes makes panic stops where there is no need. This could be a very annoying issue and potentially dangerous, ironically. Wouldn't want to have to shut it off on start up every time.

I haven't experienced any issues with it so far. However, I find the lane departure system entirely to sensitive. I am constantly getting feedback that I crossed over a lane when in fact I might just be hugging a corner. I may turn that off.

Ok...let's try this again. For those of you with the new CX9; I have a 2010 and want to know if the reduction in cargo is a deal breaker or do you think there's enough space for the majority of costumers??

Over 38 cu ft behind 2nd row seems pretty adequate. The only time a family of 4 would even use it all is on road trip vacations. And if you were heavy packers, a roof top carrier might be a good idea.

Also, this actually beats the Highlander for space behind the 3rd row.

If you need much more room than a CX-9, then you're probably shopping the wrong segment. A Pilot might do the trick but a minivan (or full size SUV) is what you need if you have 4+ kids.

Over 38 cu ft behind 2nd row seems pretty adequate. The only time a family of 4 would even use it all is on road trip vacations. And if you were heavy packers, a roof top carrier might be a good idea.

Also, this actually beats the Highlander for space behind the 3rd row.

If you need much more room than a CX-9, then you're probably shopping the wrong segment. A Pilot might do the trick but a minivan (or full size SUV) is what you need if you have 4+ kids.

Agree completely!! It has more cargo space than my Edge, but the only thing I agree with an earlier poster was there is a 2 inch gap from 2nd row back to cargo area which I wish wasn't there.

I haven't experienced any issues with it so far. However, I find the lane departure system entirely to sensitive. I am constantly getting feedback that I crossed over a lane when in fact I might just be hugging a corner. I may turn that off.

Thanks. Interestingly enough, reviewers say the CX-9's lane keep system is much more subtle than others where the steering just nudges slightly while others jerk you into lane more aggressively. Of course that quality could be separate from what you are describing.

It's just a nudge and its subtle, I agree. but it happens all the time. It's probably more my driving style

Agree completely!! It has more cargo space than my Edge, but the only thing I agree with an earlier poster was there is a 2 inch gap from 2nd row back to cargo area which I wish wasn't there.

I imagine this is due to the headrests on the 3rd row having to clear the 2nd row seat backs?

It's just a nudge and its subtle, I agree. but it happens all the time. It's probably more my driving style

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do these systems always require turn signal usage to avoid their activation? To me this is a small annoyance since there's many times that you are changing lanes where you know there's no one around and don't want to signal every time. Is this true?

Yes. Changing lanes will trigger it. Also in some cases it will nudge me when there's a fresh line a tar or sealant Ina patched road. I've had that happen

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do these systems always require turn signal usage to avoid their activation? To me this is a small annoyance since there's many times that you are changing lanes where you know there's no one around and don't want to signal every time. Is this true?

Might not be a bad thing cause cops in my city can give a ticket for improper lane change for not signalling.

Might not be a bad thing cause cops in my city can give a ticket for improper lane change for not signalling.

I always signal with the exception of knowing there isn't anyone remotely nearby. I feel kinda silly signalling on the highway when the nearest car in my rear is a half mile away. I guess there's no way around this with such a safety system.

Back