2016 CX9 Owners Thread

@Turborascal, it's been quite warm in Austin the last week or so - just curious any issues with the A/C? Does it give good flow of cold air when you set it to min temperature setting?

@Turborascal, it's been quite warm in Austin the last week or so - just curious any issues with the A/C? Does it give good flow of cold air when you set it to min temperature setting?

The heat and humidity have been a bit oppressive recently.
The A/C thus far is more than adequate.
The fan operates on high speed until the target temperature is reached and then slows to maintain good comfort.

I will point out that the large space takes a few minutes to cool (not nearly as fast as in my Miata), but there's no undue effect on performance.

I'll also point out that I had my windows (including the sunroof) tinted and UV/IR blocking film applied to the windshield.
The "fishbowl" thus absorbs less interior heat; so those with untinted windows may want to chime in with their experience.

The white looks best IMHO even compared to the machine gray ...

Hi all - picked up my Crystal Blue GT AWD CX-9 today. it was 86 degrees in Northern NJ today....blasted the A/C and it cooled down within a minute or so. no issues. no tinted windows (other than the naturally tinted passenger and rear windows). seating position and adjustability was fine for me (5' 7") and wifey (5' 1"). love the car.

Hi all - picked up my Crystal Blue GT AWD CX-9 today. it was 86 degrees in Northern NJ today....blasted the A/C and it cooled down within a minute or so. no issues. no tinted windows (other than the naturally tinted passenger and rear windows). seating position and adjustability was fine for me (5' 7") and wifey (5' 1"). love the car.

Good to hear that the AC doesn't seem to be a problem.

Earlier discussions suggested the seat becomes too flat for shorter people who need to raise the seat up (the rear of the base tilts upward). So your wife isn't having any issue? My wife is about 5' tall as well so I was curious. I'm 6'1" so I'm not worried about it being flat for me.

I have been reading this forum along with the 2016 CX-9 Spied forum for a while now and feel like I have enough miles under my butt to offer some feedback.

My Vehicle
Signature Trim with Machine Gray Metallic exterior

Seats
I am 5' 11" and have found a comfortable position. I do agree with others that Mazda cheated out a little with putting a 6 way power seat in the CX-9 vs the 8 way power seat in the higher trim levels of other vehicles in their line-up such as the 2016 CX-3, CX-5 and Mazda6. This is especially perplexing given the CX-9 tops out at ~ $47K MSRP before TT&L.

AC
I am in the Austin, TX area and things are heating up now. The AC does seem to work really hard if you turn off Air Recirculation where you get fresh air from outside. So far when the AC is set to Auto the thing runs full blast until I intervene by selecting a lower fan speed. I have yet to have the AC idle down by itself with the ~ 95 degree temps we are having. It does keep things cool but it would be nice to not have to touch the manual controls as much as I do now; I know, first world problem.

Blind Spot Monitoring
I have noticed that BSM doesn't always pick up a vehicle while my vehicle is in motion. Most of the time it does but I have seen it not detect another vehicle that I am passing at over 65 MPH.

Gas Mileage
Initially gas mileage was 18 or 19 mpg in mixed driving. I wasn't pushing the vehicle hard but did have a couple of spirited drives. Now I am getting 21-22 mpg in mixed driving when the AC is not running full blast. I will be getting ceramic tint this weekend.

Engine Power
I read A LOT of information about the vehicle including criticisms of the 227 HP motor before people had a chance to test drive it. I have owned good V6s in the past and can tell you this vehicle moves. It may not be the fastest on the block but I have yet to feel the need for more power or that it is under powered. I have not towed anything so can't say for sure how well it will handle those conditions but I expect it to do well. One thing I am noticing lately is when slowing down to make a right turn the RPMs drop below 2000 then when you gently push on the accelerator you can get kind of a lag spin up of the turbo until you hit 2000 RPM again. It doesn't feel very refined during that instant but it's not that big a deal.

Conclusion
Overall the Mazda CX-9 checked all of the right boxes for me. One big thing I feel is missing is ventilated seats. Again, this is considering the cost of the Signature Trim. I cross shopped The 2016 Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Murano, Kia Sorento SXL, Honda Pilot Elite, QX60 and Toyota Highlander. For my needs, the money and overall package I felt the Mazda was a better buy and still feel that way. I told my 10 year old girl it looks mean in the front and she agrees. She does want to give it a girl's name but that's a different story.

If there are any questions I can answer please ask and I will do my best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Congrats on the new ride, NewMazdaFan01. Keep those owner's feedback coming, if you find something interesting and worth sharing.

Good to hear that the AC doesn't seem to be a problem.

Earlier discussions suggested the seat becomes too flat for shorter people who need to raise the seat up (the rear of the base tilts upward). So your wife isn't having any issue? My wife is about 5' tall as well so I was curious. I'm 6'1" so I'm not worried about it being flat for me.

it's a good point...i asked my wife about the seating position feel (without telling her the issues people have complained about) and she said it was fine. i did notice that she sits a bit forward and does not lean back into the seat...but i think she has always driven in that position even in her old CX-9 (to see more in front of her because of her stature). so if your wife likes to sit back into the seat, i wonder if she will experience the issue with the flat seats. a test drive would easily sort that issue out for her. regardless, my wife says she prefers the seats and the view over the old CX-9.

I'm also in Austin with a bit over 300 miles on my new CX-9
Rather than reinvent the wheel; I'll use NewMazdaFan's excellent template and add my own comments/observations in blue.

I have been reading this forum along with the 2016 CX-9 Spied forum for a while now and feel like I have enough miles under my butt to offer some feedback.

My Vehicle
Signature Trim with Machine Gray Metallic exterior
Grand Touring FWD trim with Snowflake White Pearl exterior and tan leather interior

Seats
I am 5' 11" and have found a comfortable position. I do agree with others that Mazda cheated out a little with putting a 6 way power seat in the CX-9 vs the 8 way power seat in the higher trim levels of other vehicles in their line-up such as the 2016 CX-3, CX-5 and Mazda6. This is especially perplexing given the CX-9 tops out at ~ $47K MSRP before TT&L.
I'm 6'1" and have also found a comfortable seating position. The seat base could tilt a bit further back for my taste, but not bad. I particularly appreciate the lumbar support; currently at full extension.

AC
I am in the Austin, TX area and things are heating up now. The AC does seem to work really hard if you turn off Air Recirculation where you get fresh air from outside. So far when the AC is set to Auto the thing runs full blast until I intervene by selecting a lower fan speed. I have yet to have the AC idle down by itself with the ~ 95 degree temps we are having. It does keep things cool but it would be nice to not have to touch the manual controls as much as I do now; I know, first world problem.
The A/C has kept up thus far, but the fan DOES run on high quite a bit to conquer the current heat and humidity. I've kept it on auto, recirculate, and set at 72 degrees. I DO have ceramic tint all around (including the sunroof) and UV/IR blocking film installed on my windshield. All combine to greatly reduce interior heat soak.

Blind Spot Monitoring
I have noticed that BSM doesn't always pick up a vehicle while my vehicle is in motion. Most of the time it does but I have seen it not detect another vehicle that I am passing at over 65 MPH.
I never have a problem with the BSM when a vehicle is approaching from behind. Having had BSM in other vehicles (including my new Miata), I don't think that the system is programmed to detect vehicles that we've passed and are pulling away from. I REALLY appreciate the BSM warning in the heads-up display.

Gas Mileage
Initially gas mileage was 18 or 19 mpg in mixed driving. I wasn't pushing the vehicle hard but did have a couple of spirited drives. Now I am getting 21-22 mpg in mixed driving when the AC is not running full blast. I will be getting ceramic tint this weekend.
I topped my tank off shortly after delivery. My first measured tank (with most driving in traffic) was a miserable 15.9 mpg. The next one with mixed driving was about 17 mpg and this morning's fill-up yielded 19 mpg.
With only 300+ miles on the odometer, I'm pleased to see the upward trend. Regardless, the mileage is far better now than a former 2011 CX-9 was after thousands of miles.

Engine Power
I read A LOT of information about the vehicle including criticisms of the 227 HP motor before people had a chance to test drive it. I have owned good V6s in the past and can tell you this vehicle moves. It may not be the fastest on the block but I have yet to feel the need for more power or that it is under powered. I have not towed anything so can't say for sure how well it will handle those conditions but I expect it to do well. One thing I am noticing lately is when slowing down to make a right turn the RPMs drop below 2000 then when you gently push on the accelerator you can get kind of a lag spin up of the turbo until you hit 2000 RPM again. It doesn't feel very refined during that instant but it's not that big a deal.
Power is more than adequate for my purposes. It feels more spritely off the line than the former CX-9 and passes other vehicles at freeway speeds with ease. I've only experienced the slight lag on one occasion, but it wasn't too bad.

Handling and ride
For a moderately-large SUV, handling is superb. I routinely take turns that have a "recommended" speed at least 25% faster than posted without any excess body roll or squeal from the tires.
Ride is very comfortable and far quieter than the former CX-9, CX-5s, or a series of Mazda3s

Conclusion
Overall the Mazda CX-9 checked all of the right boxes for me. One big thing I feel is missing is ventilated seats. Again, this is considering the cost of the Signature Trim. I cross shopped The 2016 Nissan Pathfinder, Nissan Murano, Kia Sorento SXL, Honda Pilot Elite, QX60 and Toyota Highlander. For my needs, the money and overall package I felt the Mazda was a better buy and still feel that way. I told my 10 year old girl it looks mean in the front and she agrees. She does want to give it a girl's name but that's a different story.
I too wish for ventilated seats. In my climate, all-wheel drive is overkill except in very rare instances. As such the Grand Touring trim works perfectly for me. It has all of the safety nannies and electronic conveniences without requiring a more complex drive train. Though the rosewood trim and additional interior and exterior lighting are very nice, they don't change the vehicle operation. (Had I needed/wanted AWD, or if Signature Trim was available with a FWD chassis, I definitely would have sprung for the extra cost.) Eleven days and 300+ miles in, I remain very pleased with my choice.

If there are any questions I can answer please ask and I will do my best.

Thanks again to NewMazdaFan01 for the excellent comments and template. I'm shamelessly standing on the shoulders of his outstanding work!

@Turborascal
Thank you for the kind words!

Also, thanks for the information on the BSM. It really makes sense when you think about it and it worked exactly like that on the ride home today.

I agree with you on the ride. I am a Michelin fan when it comes to tires but have to admit the factory tires are quiet, composed and smooth. I went for the Signature because I did want the AWD. Once I did a little math I figured I should kick in the extra couple of grand and go all out. I end up keeping my vehicles for a long time and feel it was worth the cash to have the nappa leather and real wood. It also looks more expensive than it is. When my brother first looked at the inside he said it looked expensive. I don't buy for what others think but do really like how it works for me.

Once I wash my vehicle I will post some pics.

How about a few quickie cell phone pics on delivery day; before window tinting and adding the Blackvue front and rear dashcam system?

What model dash cam did you get? Did you get your installation done from a local or national retailer? Thinking about a dash cam system

I'm also getting XPEL ultimate installed as well. I decided to because a) this is my first vehicle I paid over 40k for and b) I'm tied of cleaning off the Rock and tar and bugs from my vehicle. My wife's car (2016 Mazda6) has quite a few dings from road debris on the front fascia.

I'm using theBlackVue DR650GW-2CH purchased here: http://www.thedashcamstore.com/blac...ual-lens-wifi-gps-dashcam-for-front-and-rear/

Having installed 1 channel units on two prior cars, I did the installation myself.
The wiring is visible only where it exits the headliner in front to connect with the camera and the trim in the rear for camera connection.

The linked company has online videos that provide great guidance that helped me run the wire and avoid issues with the rear camera installation.

They also have GREAT customer service ... helping me overcome issues with my first installation a while back.
The entire process took me about three hours; including locating appropriate locations for the fuse-taps fo
r the PowerMagic Pro that allows for camera operation while parked and the engine off.

PowerMagic Pro provides power while the engine is running as well as constant power with the engine off.
It can be set to shut down after a specified time and battery voltage.
I have mine set for 12 hours or 12 volts. Either condition will power the camera system down to preserve starting power.

I have XPel Ultimate on the entire front clip of my new Miata. It has already saved me from some chipping; but it IS pricey.
I also had the front clip of a Porsche covered ... well worth the $ on that car ... and has also protected the paint on numerous occasions.

For the CX-9, I'm doing only the headlights, depressions behind the exterior door handles, and door edges.

Brought my SUV home tonight.

Here's some pics.

Image1467320037.685593.jpgImage1467320053.563297.jpgImage1467320069.397571.jpgImage1467320085.885705.jpgImage1467320094.357936.jpg

First impressions: plenty of power. I didn't buy it to. Trace it but I was easily able to pass at highway speeds.

The heads up displaying awesome. It is much better implementation than the 6.

The A/C concerns I don't think are warranted. It was able to cool the vehicle down comfortably. It did take a bit longer but it's a big vehicle.

I figured out how the seat works to get tot he back easily. It is a slight pull on the lever rather than a complete pull.

The thing I didn't notice and I absolutely love is the black ceiling. I don't know if all those cx9s have it but it makes the interior extremely sharp.

Here's some pics.

View attachment 214388View attachment 214389View attachment 214390View attachment 214391View attachment 214392

First impressions: plenty of power. I didn't buy it to. Trace it but I was easily able to pass at highway speeds.

The A/C concerns I don't think are warranted. It was able to cool the vehicle down comfortably. It did take a bit longer but it's a big vehicle.

I figured out how the seat works to get tot he back easily. It is a slight pull on the lever rather than a complete pull.

The thing I didn't notice and I absolutely love is the black ceiling. I don't know if all those cx9s have it but it makes the interior extremely sharp.

How much did you paid/

Here's some pics.

View attachment 214388View attachment 214389View attachment 214390View attachment 214391View attachment 214392

Congratulations on your new Cx9 turbo. Amazing handling, no?. Better than Pilot and Pathfinder, for sure. Handling, Fuel Economy, Performance, Design, great audio. The list is long.

mthouser said:

Not saying I don't believe you, but I think I'll wait on someone from Florida, Las Vegas, or Arizona to chime in regarding the A/C performing at 95F. The HVAC of our heavily tinted 2010 CX-9 took a few minutes to cool the vehicle and it was about a high 92F today. Window tints really help, if anyone was contemplating it.

mthouser said:

I actually like the 2-tone interior implementation on the current generation. Our 2010 CX-9 has a black lower interior and a tan upper interior. The tan really brightens up the interior.

Not saying I don't believe you, but I think I'll wait on someone from Florida, Las Vegas, or Arizona to chime in regarding the A/C performing at 95F.

Today temp was 85 at delivery and seems ok. If it changes I'll let you know. But I agree you should wait for more feedback on warmer climates. Are you interested in a cx9?

Back