2016 CX9 Owners Thread

MS33SM

:
2016 cx9
Since the spied thread has turned into a seat circle jerk, I figure it's best to start an owners thread.

I've had my cx9 signature for about a week after stepping up for a 2013 Ford Fusion. I'm still finding new things about the car as I drive it. It's been a dream to drive so far.

The HUD for me is a game changer, I use it 100% of the time and only looked at the traditional gauges a handful of times. It has tach, speedo, lane keep, blind spot, cruise control, speed limit, and navigation indicators on it. It's extremely clear except with polarized sunglasses. It's still usable but not as bright or as crisp with them on.

MPGs so far have been exceeding my expectations. It's still early on in owning the car but the built in fuel economy app registered my last few drives at 29+ mpg. I'll be calculating mpgs after filling up for a while to confirm/deny the app readings.

I can't get over the interior quality. This interior is definitely punching up at BMWs, Audis, Volvo, Mercedes. I do wish the aluminum trim of the signature wrapped around to the doors. Just the main piece of the center console is actual metal.

Keys can be programmed to seat memories 1 & 2. I found this in the manual and my wife and I love being able to unlock the car with our respective remotes and have the seat pre adjusted.

I'm still getting a handle on the power curve of this car. Power delivery above 4K is flat, not lacking just flat since HP isn't building like it does is other cars. I do love being able to pass on the highway without the transmission shifting down. The tranny is programmed really well with the engines power band. I find overall acceleration and passing capabilities more than adequate.

Those are my initial driving impressions after a week. Anyone else having similar or opposite experiences? Any other tips/ tricks you've learned about the cx9?

Anyone reading this with a 2016 2.5T CX9, If you are looking to help develop the worlds first retuning for these engines, from one of the most well-known skyactiv remapping company, please let me know.
We will pay you for your time.

I do wish the aluminum trim of the signature wrapped around to the doors. Just the main piece of the center console is actual metal.

Are you sure that the trim on the doors isn't aluminum? It was my understanding that the front doors on the Signature model (and Grand Touring?) have real aluminum trim.

Nice write up MS33SM.

Are you sure that the trim on the doors isn't aluminum? It was my understanding that the front doors on the Signature model (and Grand Touring?) have real aluminum trim.

This is what I understood it to be. Can't believe Mazda would bring so much attention to the real aluminum but then put the corresponding trim in plastic.

I'm 99% sure. The materials have slightly different textures and the aluminum piece feels cool after the AC is going for a bit where the other pieces feel like plastic.

As someone who did a brie test drive of a Signature edition, for those who have the CX9 now how do you feel about the drivers seat and the lack of adjustment on tilting the seat.

As someone who did a brie test drive of a Signature edition, for those who have the CX9 now how do you feel about the drivers seat and the lack of adjustment on tilting the seat.

You can read all about it in the "Spied" Thread....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took mine today & had the front windows tinted. Blocks some of the hot sun here in the deep south (and looks better too)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 2010 GT...I've taken a 16 Touring overnight and I didn't have an issue. Still talking the wife into spending the money! LOL!!

Had my Signature Cx-9 for 2 weeks. One noteable missing feature from the last generation is the memory side mirrors tied to the seat settings. You now have to manually set on every driver.

Also, wish it had touch unlock on the door versus the button.

It really does not bother me. I am 6'3" and no issues. Would the additional setting been noted and appreciated, sure. I just don't rate it as a no buy feature.

We have never owned a Mazda before, but had been watching the CX-9 for the last few months. Picked up our Signature last weekend and is a nice change from our previous Odyssey.

I have owned a lot of new vehicles and so far this one has started off the poorest of any of them! When we took delivery there was a message on the dash that said service past due, but we thought it was just because of a step that PDI had missed and would bring it back in and have it reset (we looked at and purchased it before it had a chance to go through PDI). Later that weekend we noticed that the compass display in the instrument cluster was always stuck going north and would never change. The biggest annoyance was the Bluetooth connection for our phones. The person on the other end hears loud echoing, like the gain is turned up way too far for the microphone in the car.

We scheduled to take the vehicle into the service department yesterday morning and dropped it off. Now it looks like we will be without it for the entire weekend because after talking with the tech assigned the car, they have no idea what to do for any of the issues. They said they are just waiting to hear back from Mazda...

Not enjoying this experience so far.

Last edited:
We have never owned a Mazda before, but had been watching the CX-9 for the last few months. Picked up our Signature last weekend and is a nice change from our previous Odyssey.

I have owned a lot of new vehicles and so far this one has started off the poorest of any of them! When we took delivery there was a message on the dash that said service past due, but we thought it was just because of a step that PDI had missed and would bring it back in and have it reset (we looked at and purchased it before it had a chance to go through PDI). Later that weekend we noticed that the compass display in the instrument cluster was always stuck going north and would never change. The biggest annoyance was the Bluetooth connection for our phones. The person on the other end hears loud echoing, like the gain is turned up way too far for the microphone in the car.

We scheduled to take the vehicle into the service department yesterday morning and dropped it off. Now it looks like we will be without it for the entire weekend because after talking with the tech assigned the car, they have no idea what to do for any of the issues. They said they are just waiting to hear back from Mazda...

Not enjoying this experience so far.

Sorry to hear. Hopefully these are minor issues that get a fix. This is always the risk when being the first to buy a new model.

Don't be too tough on Mazda as a brand, they are among the most trouble free right now. Every new model has some bugs.

Good luck and let us know!

I saw one for the first time today driving in the opposite direction. It was in Blue Reflex I believe. Can't wait to actually sit in one next time I'm in for an oil change! Maybe in a couple years we can get this instead of a minivan... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just traded our 14 cx-5 this weekend for a cx-9 grand touring. The only thing not working is the power lift gate. None of the buttons will activate it (dash, fob, hatch) the fuse is fine and I can manually unlatch it from the inside.

Dealer says it is a low battery issue from sitting on the showroom floor. But no change after 40 miles of driving and an hour on a 6A charger.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Just traded our 14 cx-5 this weekend for a cx-9 grand touring. The only thing not working is the power lift gate. None of the buttons will activate it (dash, fob, hatch) the fuse is fine and I can manually unlatch it from the inside.

Dealer says it is a low battery issue from sitting on the showroom floor. But no change after 40 miles of driving and an hour on a 6A charger.

Do you at least get the warning beep when pressing any tailgate button? If you open the tailgate all the way and hold down the tailgate button on the underside of the door for ~5 seconds it should reset after a few fun noises. Might be worth trying.

Do you at least get the warning beep when pressing any tailgate button? If you open the tailgate all the way and hold down the tailgate button on the underside of the door for ~5 seconds it should reset after a few fun noises. Might be worth trying.
No beeps at all. I'm going to pull the fuse and see what happens. If it starts to beep I'll try your suggestion.

Wonder why the new vehicle is 2016 with the recent release - Mazda usually make them as next year's model year.

Anyone compares this with MDX (ie the soon to be released 2017 with facelift)?

Wonder why the new vehicle is 2016 with the recent release - Mazda usually make them as next year's model year.

This has to be the latest in a year an automaker has ever released a new model using that year. To think the new 2016 Sorento came out nearly a year and a half ago (around February of '15) and there's a million of them already on the road. While the new CX-9 just launched.

Clearly Mazda didn't want to skip a model year but didn't want the old model carried into 2016.

Back