2016 CX9 Owners Thread

ATF Change

Odd, looking at the maintenance schedule, there isn't a line item for replacing transmission fluid?
No, Mazda and many other car manufactures don't list ATF change is a required maintenance item. They're telling you the ATF is a "lifetime" fluid but in fact they're not! VW also doesn't specify ATF change, but on the new OEM ATF bottle it clearly specifies 2-year shelf life!

You can only do drain-and-fill for ATF replacement on SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission. Your old ATF gets "diluted" with about 45% of fresh ATF each time you do a cycle of drain-and-fill. Some people are doing multiple times of drain-and-fill to ensure the ATF is as fresh as possible. Many people with CX-5 change ATF at 50,000-mile interval. But some are doing it at 30,000-mile interval, with multiple drain-and-fills! :)

For our SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission, you can't do fluid flush with special ATF flush machine like other conventional auto trannies. There's no AFT lines to hook up, but only engine coolant lines feeding a cooler inside of transmission.

Since CX-9 uses the same automatic transmission design as CX-5, the following discussions are very helpful, only the total capacity of the ATF could be a little different.

Change automatic transmission fluid?
ATF Drain/Fill

No, Mazda and many other car manufactures don't list ATF change is a required maintenance item. They're telling you the ATF is a "lifetime" fluid but in fact they're not! VW also doesn't specify ATF change, but on the new OEM ATF bottle it clearly specifies 2-year shelf life!

You can only do drain-and-fill for ATF replacement on SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission. Your old ATF gets "diluted" with about 45% of fresh ATF each time you do a cycle of drain-and-fill. Some people are doing multiple times of drain-and-fill to ensure the ATF is as fresh as possible. Many people with CX-5 change ATF at 50,000-mile interval. But some are doing it at 30,000-mile interval, with multiple drain-and-fills! :)

For our SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission, you can't do fluid flush with special ATF flush machine like other conventional auto trannies. There's no AFT lines to hook up, but only engine coolant lines feeding a cooler inside of transmission.

Since CX-9 uses the same automatic transmission design as CX-5, the following discussions are very helpful, only the total capacity of the ATF could be a little different.

Change automatic transmission fluid?
ATF Drain/Fill

Hmm I'm coming from a honda so that why I know about changing it. Since Mazda doesnt include it, can't we blame them for warranty issues? I'm surprised this isn't a bigger issue cause, I'm sure more of their customers aren't on forums like this.

I have a 2014 Mazda 6. I've noticed with the new infotainment you can only turn down the music or mute it but you can't turn it off - is that right? I know in my car you can turn off the stereo. Maybe that's why I don't have (or haven't noticed) any white noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes that is correct. But I found the car still makes sounds for other functionality like speed camera warning even when you mute.
Hmm I'm coming from a honda so that why I know about changing it. Since Mazda doesnt include it, can't we blame them for warranty issues? I'm surprised this isn't a bigger issue cause, I'm sure more of their customers aren't on forums like this.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ATF Change

Yes, you're right! I have a 1998 Honda CR-V with 177,026 miles and the owner's manual does specify 90,000-mile/72-month transmission fluid change interval under normal conditions; 30,000-mile/24-month interval for severe conditions. Mazda believes its "lifetime" ATF should last at least 60,000 miles and it's our problem after 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty being expired! I plan to do drain-and-fill on my CX-5 at 50,000 miles with genuine Mazda ATF FZ. Remember we're mixing 45% fresh ATF with old fluid left in the transmission each time we do a drain-and-fill, so we want to make sure fresh fluid and old fluid are totally compatible.

2016-07-30%2019.31.52.jpg

Here she is - we named her Helen after Helen Mirren - cause she's gray and hot...

That's funny. I thought we were the only ones who name vehicles. New to forum. Looking to purchase signature 2016/17 in may. Hooray(yippy)

I keep seeing an ad online for a Yaris iA - the infotainment system in that car is the same exact as the Mazda, same UI (except their accents are Blue), but other than that, looks exactly the same (uhm)

I keep seeing an ad online for a Yaris iA - the infotainment system in that car is the same exact as the Mazda, same UI (except their accents are Blue), but other than that, looks exactly the same (uhm)

The Ia is essentially a new generation Mazda 2 (no longer sold in North America) with Toyota badges.

Mazda builds the car under contract for Toyota.

Thank you guys for sharing your experience with the new CX 9.

Agreed. Looking at the competition, still the CX 9 provides better value and a very unique vehicle. The Sorentos are similarly priced and its EPA rating is just 17 MPG. Pilot is boxy. I don't like the style of even the 17 highlander. Acadia you have to step up to Denali to even compare with the CX 9 GT. Traverse and Enclave have poor MPG. Pathfinder is styled boxy and has CVT, which I hate. I like the Explorer limited 2.3 T, but most of the online reviews are not good.

I will test drive a CX9 soon.

The low advertised mpg is due to the mpg lawsuit against the Koreans. Almost all Sorento/Santa Fe owners are beating it and getting 20/21 mpg mixed. I am consistently getting 21 in the crazy Bay Area traffic.

The low advertised mpg is due to the mpg lawsuit against the Koreans. Almost all Sorento/Santa Fe owners are beating it and getting 20/21 mpg mixed. I am consistently getting 21 in the crazy Bay Area traffic.

Good information. Thanks

Finally test drove a CX 9. Experienced the heads up display. I initially thought it is a just a fancy feature. It is not. Looks like a very useful feature. It is bright, big and projected in the far end of the hood. Just an amazing vehicle , nothing like it on the planet earth:). Machine Gray or Red GT with sand interior. This is my dream. Should pull the trigger in couple of months.

Last edited:
The HUD is super useful for me, esp with the blindspot, cruise control, and navigation. Everyone who tries it out is impressed; even those with HUDs on more expensive cars.

Now only if mazda adds the missing features like power folding mirrors, panaromic roof, more seat adjustments, heated rear and cooled seats, CarPlay android auto, auto brake hold, 360 camera with articulating lines, parallel park, handsfree liftgate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now only if mazda adds the missing features like power folding mirrors, panaromic roof, more seat adjustments, heated rear and cooled seats, CarPlay android auto, auto brake hold, 360 camera with articulating lines, parallel park, handsfree liftgate.
The only ones you mentioned that i could see wanting are: heated rear and cooled seats, and CarPlay android auto. heated rear seats are in the new CX-5 so i see it coming to the next Model Year CX-9. i''d be hopeful that ventilated front seats are on their way soon as well. the only one i'm not holding my breath on is CarPlay/Android Auto which they have been dragging their feet for 2-3+ years now.

Back