2016 CX9 Owners Thread

Not sure if you guys noticed this, I realized this morning. If you turn off the tachometer on your Heads Up Display, you get a lot more information when the Navigation is turned on. Which is really useful (Street names, graphical distance to turn, detailed lane intersection, etc.). Thus begs the question as to why it's not a standard feature that switches automatically... For example, the tachometer would hide to give the nav priority. When the nav isn't in use, the tach can be displayed again. OR, have settings that would hide the tach unless the car is in either Manual and/or Sports mode. The way they have it set up right now, doesn't really make much sense.

i have the reverse problem: my tach was off by default and i never knew (nor cared) to have it in the HUD.

Not sure if you guys noticed this, I realized this morning. If you turn off the tachometer on your Heads Up Display, you get a lot more information when the Navigation is turned on. Which is really useful (Street names, graphical distance to turn, detailed lane intersection, etc.). Thus begs the question as to why it's not a standard feature that switches automatically... For example, the tachometer would hide to give the nav priority. When the nav isn't in use, the tach can be displayed again. OR, have settings that would hide the tach unless the car is in either Manual and/or Sports mode. The way they have it set up right now, doesn't really make much sense.
The HUD defaults to showing the tach? Just silly; one could argue that there is no need to even have a tach, much less display it in the HUD. Even in manual mode, doesn't the car automatically shift if you get to redline?

Ours defaulted when new do now tach in the HUD. I turned it on for a few days but my wife didn't care for it and shut it off.

I remember the tach being off from factory. I turned it on, and it has stayed on even after factory resets of the infotainment system. I agree there isn't really much to it, unless you're driving in Manual mode or maybe sports. For me, it's usually between 1500-2500 rpm. Rarely exceeds 4000.

In my 50 years of driving and possession of over 40 vehicles, I've owned only a couple of cars that didn't have a tachometer.
I like having the information available in the HUD and don't find it distracting at all.

To prevent someone from just walking up to your car while it's running and just getting in and driving off with it.

Is that possible? Sometimes in my parking garage I open the door and walk away with the keys in my pocket. The cx9 start to sound some beeps and warning on the display keys are not detected, but the engine still works.

Yes, I notice it and I agree with you 100%. I like the tachometer but when NAV is in use, is better to have the tach turned off.

Just fully tested the unlock and latch door button on the 2016 CX-9. No matter what you do, it does NOT unlock the driver/passenger doors. You must use either the remote FOB or the door handle buttons to unlock. <DISLIKE>(rant)(rant)

The latch door have 3 buttons:

(a) to open the latch
(b) to close the latch
(c) to fully close the SUV (I don't know if this same button can OPEN all doors).

The HUD defaults to showing the tach? Just silly; one could argue that there is no need to even have a tach, much less display it in the HUD. Even in manual mode, doesn't the car automatically shift if you get to redline?

If I remember well and you reset the HUD to factory default, you don't have the Tach in the HUD. You need to go to options and enable it. When you enable the Tach, you lost lot of NAV info in the HUD.

Ours defaulted when new do now tach in the HUD. I turned it on for a few days but my wife didn't care for it and shut it off.

The HUD settings is married with the Memory and keys. Remember that. You can have one memory with tach and one memory without it.

Last edited:
I remember the tach being off from factory. I turned it on, and it has stayed on even after factory resets of the infotainment system. I agree there isn't really much to it, unless you're driving in Manual mode or maybe sports. For me, it's usually between 1500-2500 rpm. Rarely exceeds 4000.

Agree. The tach if off by default. When turned ON, nav info is lost in the NAV in the Hud. And HUD setting is adjusted with the 1/2 buttons on the seats and with every key.

US dealers have an update available to firmware version 59.00.441.
Check with your dealer to determine whether an update has been released for your region.

Turborascal, I recently had my software updated and have lost the ability to turn of the tachometer in the HUD. Can you please check to see if your HUD options still allow the tachometer to be turned off?

Checked mine last night.
I've also lost the ability to display or omit the tachometer display.

Thinking about a CX 9 AWD, how noticeable is the torque steer? also looking for comments on AC from people who live in really hot climates.

Thinking about a CX 9 AWD, how noticeable is the torque steer? also looking for comments on AC from people who live in really hot climates.

Regarding Torque Steer (I read about it in Wikipedia), I don't see any issue, but I have AWD.

I see a video on Youtube where a car enthusiast explain this amount of torque is better with AWD in order to avoid torque steer.

Btw the air is good for me and my family., but there is no hot weather in mx city.

Enviado desde mi Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

Last edited:
Back