Stuck unable to remove front struts

vgorilla

:
Mazda 5 Touring
I've got the lower bolt out, the sway link off. I've beat it down about 3/4 of the way and it seems loose (I can twist it easily), but there is still at least 3/4" left before it clears the control arm. It's almost as if I've reached the limit of the cv joint or something. I'm scared to keep banging hell out of it. I'd like to try to compress the spring and pull it up, but my compressor won't fit up in there.

Help please.

You're fighting the lower control arm bushings believe it or not.. What you can do if you have an OEM style scissors jack, place the jack on the steering knuckle and raise it against the lower spring perch on the strut raise it up just enough to to get the bottom of the strut to sit on top of the knuckle. Just be aware that things may start flying if something slips.. So maybe use some rope or something to secure the jack to the strut tube...

There is no need to bang the knuckle to get the shock off. There're two DIY options to make it very easy.

Option 1: See thread below, post #52. Take two bolts, grind one down to oblong/elliptical shape. Use this bolt (+ ratchet to drive it) to split the knuckle via the alignment tab/slit in the knuckle. Insert 2nd bolt to keep it open. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Coilovers-Mazda-5-(Review-and-Install)/page4

Option 2: Reuse the pinch bolt that secures the lower shock. Insert it in reverse order. You can insert a heavy gauge piece of steel (L bracket works well and stays put) into the knuckle alignment tab/slit so that when the screw goes in, it hits the tab and push the knuckle open and keeps it open.

Option 1 is easy in easy out and very quick work. Option 2 takes a bit of time to drive the bolt in and out but that's really nitpicking. Both options work well. I've take my CO in/out multiple times and very fast. I suggest you buy a 3" dia wire wheel to clean the inner bore before you install new shocks. Good luck.

Thanks for the help both of you. I wound up slightly compressing the coil and using the scissor jack. Still though I was going to rip the boot. Fortunately, then new strut was shorter than the OEM and went in easier. Will do the driver's side tomorrow. Hope it goes easier.

Back