Two Issues With The 2016 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring

JasonJYoung

:
2016 Mazda CX-3
Purchased the 2016 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring model in December 2015. Overall, I have been very pleased with the vehicle. But two issues I wanted to ask others about include:

1) Navigation system is somewhat cumbersome when searching and during the actual navigation. In other words, the mapping seems a little outdated and having a difficult time locating various businesses/addresses. Also, there seems to be constant on-screen delay's while navigating, thus causing missed turns, exits, etc.

Yes, I've attempted to tweak various settings on the navigation unit. I have also searched numerous times for mapping updates on Mazda Toolbox since vehicle purchase in December 2015. None have been available.

2) The armrest is starting to become a concern with regards to quality and overall design. It's basically a piece of plastic with very little support. I've noticed some third-party/after market full bodied armrests showing up in the marketplace.

I really wish Mazda would have installed a stronger armrest with storage underneath. Yes, this would eliminate access to the two cup holders. But with the current armrest set-up, the cup holders are not very practical in my opinion.

Again, these might be considered minor annoyances. I'm really interested in the opinion of others.

Oh BTW: Has anyone considered purchasing the Weather Tech floor liners? Kinda pricey and so not sure if they are better option than Mazda Factory floor mats.

I haven't noticed an issue of delay when it comes to the nav system, but I'm with you on the cumbersome searching when driving. I also haven't spent a lot of time using it to see if there are tricks to get it to do what you want while driving. Usually if I'm searching for something, it's not in the immediate area and it's a pain to try to find something that's 20 minutes down the road.

Never got an armrest since it's a dealer installed option in Canada. I've debated getting one is there are times I think it would be nice to have one, but I've adapted and started driving more with the right hand and using the door armrest when I'm driving. I like having the cup holders available and so far that seems to be winning out. That and the fact that sometimes I'm cheap so I don't feel like spending the extra money for it.

The Weather Tech floor liners weren't even available when I made my purchase to I had the dealer throw in the factory all weather floor mats. They did the job decently during the winter months. I haven't done a thorough cleaning yet to see what salt stains weren't prevented. That might be a job for this weekend.

2016 Mazda CX-3 Dislikes

Purchased the 2016 Mazda CX-3 Grand Touring model in December 2015. Overall, I have been very pleased with the vehicle. But two issues I wanted to ask others about include:

1) Navigation system is somewhat cumbersome when searching and during the actual navigation. In other words, the mapping seems a little outdated and having a difficult time locating various businesses/addresses. Also, there seems to be constant on-screen delay's while navigating, thus causing missed turns, exits, etc.

Yes, I've attempted to tweak various settings on the navigation unit. I have also searched numerous times for mapping updates on Mazda Toolbox since vehicle purchase in December 2015. None have been available.

2) The armrest is starting to become a concern with regards to quality and overall design. It's basically a piece of plastic with very little support. I've noticed some third-party/after market full bodied armrests showing up in the marketplace.

I really wish Mazda would have installed a stronger armrest with storage underneath. Yes, this would eliminate access to the two cup holders. But with the current armrest set-up, the cup holders are not very practical in my opinion.

Again, these might be considered minor annoyances. I'm really interested in the opinion of others.

Oh BTW: Has anyone considered purchasing the Weather Tech floor liners? Kinda pricey and so not sure if they are better option than Mazda Factory floor mats.

I agree! I am usually the only one in my car commuting to work, but when I have additional persons in my car the cup holders are really an issue. When I first bought the car I noticed a terrible squeaking coming from the armrest that a few months later I "fixed" by shoving some thin cardboard underneath the armrest where it actually rotates from. Just recently I was getting in my car to go to Mazda to order a new headlight ( because of moisture seeping in) and I put some pressure on my armrest and it apparently could not handle a 5"3' 122lb female. It cracked on the inside, which caused it to have a downward slant. Now, there is NO way a drink would fit underneath. I will be waiting patiently for a new armrest, apparently we are not the only ones having issues, as the armrests are on a lengthy back order. Otherwise, I love the car. 28K miles on my Touring.

The armrest appeared flimsy to me right from the first test drive I did back last summer. I felt it flexed too much even with just putting my arm on it. Far from a nice solid support. Even before I decided to purchase my '17 CX-3 GT, I did some research and found a replacement armrest from this company which I think is in the UK. The part number is DB2WV0630. This is an adjustable armrest with a modest storage compartment under the padded lid. From the picture(s) it looks more sturdy than the stock flip-up design. I plan to email the company (Burrows) to ask about shipping to the USA. In the meantime, I came up with a way to stabilize the front of the stock armrest. I used an tall aluminum travel mug which, when placed in the forward cupholder, contacts the underside of the stock unit when fully folded down. This setup does the job to support the entire armrest.

The armrest appeared flimsy to me right from the first test drive I did back last summer. I felt it flexed too much even with just putting my arm on it. Far from a nice solid support. Even before I decided to purchase my '17 CX-3 GT, I did some research and found a replacement armrest from this company which I think is in the UK. The part number is DB2WV0630. This is an adjustable armrest with a modest storage compartment under the padded lid. From the picture(s) it looks more sturdy than the stock flip-up design. I plan to email the company (Burrows) to ask about shipping to the USA. In the meantime, I came up with a way to stabilize the front of the stock armrest. I used an tall aluminum travel mug which, when placed in the forward cupholder, contacts the underside of the stock unit when fully folded down. This setup does the job to support the entire armrest.

Keep us posted on the UK armrest. Sat for an extended period of time waiting for my daughter's appointment to be done and found myself wishing I had an armrest. Not about to get the factory one. A dealership had one installed on the showroom so I decided to check it out. Squeaked like crazy just pushing down on it slightly.

Keep us posted on the UK armrest. Sat for an extended period of time waiting for my daughter's appointment to be done and found myself wishing I had an armrest. Not about to get the factory one. A dealership had one installed on the showroom so I decided to check it out. Squeaked like crazy just pushing down on it slightly.

Will do. I did email Burrows a couple of days back and am waiting for a reply. I'll post when I receive an answer back (assuming a reply is forthcoming from the company).

Just had my CX5 in for oil change and tires. They gave me a loaded CX3 for the day. First thing I noticed was the arm rest over the cup holders? Seems like an odd design.

Back