Ignition Switch - Is the dealer ripping me off?

2007MazdaCX-9

:
2007 CX-9 Touroing
Hello everyone, new here. Just bought my Mazda. Didn't find this question anywhere in the forums, so I apologize if it's been addressed. Long story first, feel free to skip the next paragraph and just read the questions below, but I wanted to give some background.

When I bought the CX-9 it only had 1 key that was in rough shape but the fob worked. So I went to the dealer and ordered a new one to be programmed. The day before I went the car started acting as though the key was in the ignition at all times. Would beep when door was open and would not lock manually or with fob. So I told them about it when I brought it in to have the key programmed. They were able to make the new key start the car but said they couldn't program the fob while the car thinks a key is in the ignition, so they had to troubleshoot that. They somehow fixed the beeping and car locks now (everything else works fine as well), but they said it has a bad ignition switch and will have to replace it in order to finish programming the key? They quoted me $200 to replace ignition switch. And they said they only got the beeping to stop by removing the ignition switch. Which raises red flags to me because how would the car start and everything work with no ignition switch in there? When I got home and tried the original fob it works just fine, unlocks and starts the car. So now basically I have 1 fob that works, 1 that doesn't, and the dealer is saying they need to replace the ignition switch to program it.

So my questions are, is it possible for the car to start and work without an ignition switch installed? I would think there must be one in there and it must be working fine. My other question is would a bad ignition switch prevent them from programming a fob? If 1 fob works as is I would think they could program another one right now. I get the feeling it was an easy fix to get the car to stop beeping and they are making up the bad ignition switch to squeeze another $200 out of me before they finish programming the key I already paid for.

Even took the car to a locksmith and they said the ignition switch has nothing to do with whether the car thinks the key is in the ignition or not. I'm debating calling another Mazda dealer and seeing if they can program the key with the car as is.

Thanks for any help!!

Sounds like it, it is normal to beep when your door is open and key inside ignition to prevent you left your key inside. I am not a expert, so go to another dealership and see what do they said about it.

Hello everyone, new here. Just bought my Mazda. Didn't find this question anywhere in the forums, so I apologize if it's been addressed. Long story first, feel free to skip the next paragraph and just read the questions below, but I wanted to give some background.

When I bought the CX-9 it only had 1 key that was in rough shape but the fob worked. So I went to the dealer and ordered a new one to be programmed. The day before I went the car started acting as though the key was in the ignition at all times. Would beep when door was open and would not lock manually or with fob. So I told them about it when I brought it in to have the key programmed. They were able to make the new key start the car but said they couldn't program the fob while the car thinks a key is in the ignition, so they had to troubleshoot that. They somehow fixed the beeping and car locks now (everything else works fine as well), but they said it has a bad ignition switch and will have to replace it in order to finish programming the key? They quoted me $200 to replace ignition switch. And they said they only got the beeping to stop by removing the ignition switch. Which raises red flags to me because how would the car start and everything work with no ignition switch in there? When I got home and tried the original fob it works just fine, unlocks and starts the car. So now basically I have 1 fob that works, 1 that doesn't, and the dealer is saying they need to replace the ignition switch to program it.

So my questions are, is it possible for the car to start and work without an ignition switch installed? I would think there must be one in there and it must be working fine. My other question is would a bad ignition switch prevent them from programming a fob? If 1 fob works as is I would think they could program another one right now. I get the feeling it was an easy fix to get the car to stop beeping and they are making up the bad ignition switch to squeeze another $200 out of me before they finish programming the key I already paid for.

Even took the car to a locksmith and they said the ignition switch has nothing to do with whether the car thinks the key is in the ignition or not. I'm debating calling another Mazda dealer and seeing if they can program the key with the car as is.

Thanks for any help!!

What did you find out? My car is also beeping as if the key is in there and I don't know how to fix it.

Latest posts

Back