New G-Vectoring tech to make Mazdas drive even better

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
New G-Vectoring tech to make Mazdas drive even better

http://www.mazda-motors.com/news/new-g-vectoring-tech-to-make-mazdas-drive-even-better/

Mazda has revealed a new engine control technology that helps improve comfort, stability and grip. We got the chance to try the new system, which is called G-Vectoring Control (GVC), in France this week.

The system limits the torque from the engine to create a smooth transition between G-forces. It works at all times, measuring steering wheel movements every five milliseconds bringing benefits on both straight roads and during cornering.

Integrated Control System manager Toru Yoshioka told Auto Express: This system encourages the driver to operate the vehicle like an expert driver.

It does so by optimising the vertical load on different corners of the car, in the same way that a racing driver would modulate their inputs on the throttle during cornering. Because this system uses super-fast computers, its said more accurate than a person could ever be.

During a corner, the system will limit torque by up to 30Nm (most of the time it will be around 10Nm) to shift the load of the car to the front wheels to improve turn-in, allowing the load to move to the back as the driver accelerates away, thus improving stability.

The effect is most pronounced on low-grip surfaces, but had a chance to try the system on both straight roads, as well as on a dedicated handling course. Mazda says the system is designed to go unnoticed by the driver, and thats the exact impression we got on the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 models we tried.

It feels natural and helps with smoother more efficient driving. Its designed to with the balance of the car, reducing the load on things like neck muscles in particular. And while the big red button in our test cars to turn the system on and off was fun, the difference was so minimal that we could only really feel the difference on the low-grip surface. Telematics proved that our tiny steering inputs were reduced over the straight section, too so on a long trip, wed have used quite a bit less energy.

Mazda says the system is part of a human-cantered design philosophy, and will also help your body prepare itself better for corners. Because the steering response feels more natural, you are better prepared to absorb the movement as you go around a corner.

Chassis platform manager Alexander Fritsche described the system as simple in theory, but complex to implement, as the torque control needs to be done instantly. Mazdas latest range of Skyactiv engines and chassis were the only units able to support the system, which has actually been in development for around six years.

Unlike torque vectoring, the GVC system increases grip rather than the amount of wheel rotation but the key difference is that it can be fitted using only engine software and sensors. That means it can be fitted to any current Mazda without much extra cost so its expected to come as standard on the updated versions of the whole range.

Updates will start in the summer, but Mazda isnt saying which car will get the system first. We expect to see the first car with GVC getting it as part of a mid-life facelift, however, which is likely to be the Mazda 3 hatchback.

This system sounds silly.. but than again, Mazda knows what it's doing when it comes to driving dynamics.

I wonder.. does it limit torque only at WOT? or does it limit torque at all throttle openings? what's to stop the driver from just adding more throttle to compensate?

Personally, I hope it comes with a permanent disable button.
Interesting that the picture of the test car shows a manual transmission equipped car.

So their trying to say a computer can emulate the effect of a stiffer sway bar, stiffer springs and struts with higher dampening rate? Seems doubtful. Especially on OEM pizza cutters and the stock suspension. It's already difficult enough to work around DSC, which often kicks in at the worst time, actually making an otherwise clean exit very sloppy as it applies brakes and such. I can increase my grip simply by downshifting, or adding throttle lol. But it sounds like the computer will be adding power to a wheel(s) in lieu of the driver adding throttle, or turning in a specific manner to get a desired result from the car.

As for a stock cx-5, it's too easy to outperform the tires on that wheel, especially at a stock ride height. Now, add that system to a car with a sport suspension and gripping tires, I can see a possible benefit; as long as it still allows the deliberate driver to apply specific inputs because they want a specific result. My all season toyo proxes4 ("sport" tire) are grippy enough to hold considering my tune, and mods at wot. I'd probably lift a wheel or understeer horribly out of line on a stock cx-5 if I even tried half the stuff I can do with my set up. These types of things could end up pushing Mazda more towards the appliance brand type.

This sounds a lot like a rudimentary version of GM's PTM, except in AWD. It is going to actually be really impressive, even though Mazda has work to do.

Sounds like by managing "vertical load" it will keep the car more level during turns? I think its meant to be a subtle effect - hence the desire to do it with software rather than costly additional hardware. Someone should do a slalom test with it and see how it feels.

Sounds like by managing "vertical load" it will keep the car more level during turns? I think its meant to be a subtle effect - hence the desire to do it with software rather than costly additional hardware. Someone should do a slalom test with it and see how it feels.

What it sounds like to me is that it will transfer torque to the outer/rear tires on hard cornering which will keep the vehicle planted with more power being applied. It will also limit power to keep you between the lines. GM has a similar, but more advanced version called PTM, and it's a wonder to behold. There is also an aftermarket type of PTM that was available for the 370Z. Perfect power modulation in any circumstance. Amazing tech. Mazda is only playing with about 20 feet lb of torque, though, which isn't nearly enough to do an all-out job, here. It IS enough that I am sure it will be notable if you push the vehicle hard, but it's nowhere near what I;d like to see. Then again...this is a CUV, lol

Here is the legit version.

This is a very interesting idea. It sounds like another safety nanny to me though. But I could see it being really beneficial in low grip situations. In a way it's like a limited slip I suppose.

*this post was in reference to the G-vectoring, not the PTM.

Last edited:

I think what it does is this:

Lets say you are taking a turn at full throttle with no braking or decel, and so in normal situations there would be a lot of initial steering input since there isnt any weight transfer. With this system, it will sense that the car is entering the turn with too much speed and will cut off some throttle so that some weight gets transferred forward and there will be less steering input needed.

This system sounds silly.. but than again, Mazda knows what it's doing when it comes to driving dynamics.

I wonder.. does it limit torque only at WOT? or does it limit torque at all throttle openings? what's to stop the driver from just adding more throttle to compensate?

Personally, I hope it comes with a permanent disable button.
Interesting that the picture of the test car shows a manual transmission equipped car.

I agree with you. I think a good driver would already know to back off the throttle before hitting a turn too hard. But then again, maybe this system can do it more accurately and efficiently?

It's not always about having to back off the throttle, having power to the wheels is what you want for the AWD use. I'll get better cornering out of a sharp curve at 75mph on 3rd gear wot, or 4th than I ever would in 5th or 6th (assuming the corner can be taken at that speed). Even with my suspension if I just coast in with like 60hp or something coming off my engines to cruise, that's garbage to spread between 4 wheels under high demand and the car will not turn as well. When I read unobs comment about PTM, I can see how 20 or 30lb might not be very effective for "performance"

It's not always about having to back off the throttle, having power to the wheels is what you want for the AWD use. I'll get better cornering out of a sharp curve at 75mph on 3rd gear wot, or 4th than I ever would in 5th or 6th (assuming the corner can be taken at that speed). Even with my suspension if I just coast in with like 60hp or something coming off my engines to cruise, that's garbage to spread between 4 wheels under high demand and the car will not turn as well. When I read unobs comment about PTM, I can see how 20 or 30lb might not be very effective for "performance"

Yeah, it's going to help A LITTLE, no doubt! but it's nothing like what GM is putting in their cars. It's more like Honda/Acura's "thrust vectoring" I guess? I dunno. I want PTM! LOL

If you are just talking about coming out of a corner, I agree with that.

On entry and mid-corner, braking, weight transfer and throttle modulation play a more important role.

If you are just talking about coming out of a corner, I agree with that.

On entry and mid-corner, braking, weight transfer and throttle modulation play a more important role.

PTM modulates throttle (and thereby weight transfer, as well). It's amazing.

Will it add to the safety of the car and how much will it add to the cost? Seems to me that we think of new and unnecessary technology to add without consideration to consequences. In the future you won't drive you'll just get in, program the destination and ride. Is this what you really want?

Oh come on, sliding and drifting is the only fun part of winter, why would you take it out? :)

Indeed, most of the articles in the last few days gave me the impression that it's subtle and barely noticeable. I guess we always know when we start having toothache, muscle pain, ... but we barely notice them when they go away.

Back