Amplifier install on 2016 CX-5 Bose with PAC AOEM-MAZ2 adapter

Thanks for the reply.

Im going to try troubleshooting tomorrow. I agree that taking it to a pro audio shop is the way to go, but the 2 estimates for the install I received were $260 and $220 here in Southern California. Thats why I tried installing it first.

The blue turn-on wire attached to the PAC is in the same condition I received it. I havent cut anything. Thats why I bought it.

It seems illogical to me that the speakers no longer worked when the PAC was connected properly -nevermind the amp.
Ill try to figure it out at least 1 more time before biting the bullet and taking it to a shop.

Thanks for the reply.

I*m going to try troubleshooting tomorrow. I agree that taking it to a pro audio shop is the way to go, but the 2 estimates for the install I received were $260 and $220 here in Southern California. That*s why I tried installing it first.

The blue turn-on wire attached to the PAC is in the same condition I received it. I haven*t cut anything. That*s why I bought it.

It seems illogical to me that the speakers no longer worked when the PAC was connected properly -nevermind the amp.
I*ll try to figure it out at least 1 more time before biting the bullet and taking it to a shop.

Costs $80-90 at an MECP certified shop in my region to install an amp and PAC not purchased through shop.

Thanks for the reply.

I*m going to try troubleshooting tomorrow. I agree that taking it to a pro audio shop is the way to go, but the 2 estimates for the install I received were $260 and $220 here in Southern California. That*s why I tried installing it first.

The blue turn-on wire attached to the PAC is in the same condition I received it. I haven*t cut anything. That*s why I bought it.

I*ll try to figure it out at least 1 more time before biting the bullet and taking it to a shop.

First things first. Just simply connect your PAC and make sure that nothing is loose. If that cuts audio to your speakers, something is wrong. Don't ground the remote wire...you may cause shorts.

If you still have no sound, I'd recommend returning this PAC and getting another one just to try it out. It should be a simple plug and play operation.

First things first. Just simply connect your PAC and make sure that nothing is loose. If that cuts audio to your speakers, something is wrong. Don't ground the remote wire...you may cause shorts.

If you still have no sound, I'd recommend returning this PAC and getting another one just to try it out. It should be a simple plug and play operation.

Once again, thanks for the insight.

I connected the PAC again, and this time the sound on all the speakers worked fine... I still dont know what I did differently, but at least I knew it was working. (Im positive I connected it the same way.)
I verified with a multimeter that the blue ON cable from the PAC was working, and that the powered amp was correctly grounded.
Then I ran the blue PAC cable to the amp harness.

It worked.

I powered a Rockville SS8P under the drivers seat. I still havent played with the settings, but Ill definitely test it out.

Thanks to everyone here!

I did this exact install on my 2017 CX5....wish I could use the interface on my 2020 CX9. And I don't see any for the 2020. Sigh...

Hey everyone, sorry it's been a while since I've logged on. I didn't know the pictures for the original post had stopped working, maybe for years now.

It took me a while to find the old pictures, but I went back and uploaded it back to the original post. Hopefully this will help anyone who is still interested in adding a subwoofer to their Bose audio system.

I just want to let you know that I used all your comments here and this PAC is working well with the CX-5 grand Touring with bose thanks to all of you now I will get a very nice powered subwoofer.

Any suggestions 🤔?

PAC AOEM-MAZ2 Interface That Allows Replacement or Addition of an Amplifier in Select Mazda Vehicles Without a Factory Bose Sound System https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Through firewall no problem but could not use grommet cutter, because I have uk right hand drive and the grommet used is tucked awkwardly behind fan unit behind glove box so I measured and there is a small 10mm moulding on main grommet which I managed to drill with long 9mm bit from under bonnet carefully (note grommet is twin walled) and pushed through last 1mm to avoid hitting anything!! I then used an old brake outer cable off a push bike (or cable threading rod 6mm) and pushed few inches through from bonnet side then managed to grab behind glove box and pull through to tape my 4G to (lightly silicon sprayed), which I then pulled back through into engine compartment - made nice snug fit - then ran cable under door side trims etc - just used a foot or so of split cable cover behind glove box route to protect against rubbing etc.

Does anyone have colour coding for amp output died for door speakers etc - I already have sub on input side but was wary that when I wire 4 channel might lose some functionality if I do this ie/ sat Nav fader? Mazda CX-5 2018 6 speaker non Bose - any help or advice appreciated.

I just want to let you know that I used all your comments here and this PAC is working well with the CX-5 grand Touring with bose thanks to all of you now I will get a very nice powered subwoofer.

Any suggestions 🤔?
Can't go wrong with Rockford Fosgate. Cheaper than JL Audio, and in my opinion, every bit as good. Infinity is also solid, but a half of a step below RF. Again, my opinion.

Can't go wrong with Rockford Fosgate. Cheaper than JL Audio, and in my opinion, every bit as good. Infinity is also solid, but a half of a step below RF. Again, my opinion.

Just a heads up that most every manufacture has a entry level, mid level, and high level product line.

Rockford Fosgate has 3 different product lines :

1628772528724.png

Prime < Punch < Power

Infinity also has three model lines
Primus < Reference < Kappa

It get even more confusing in the JL Audio line
1628772822265.png

What I am saying is not all product lines are created equal and the buyer should be aware of this fact. As to which manufacture has more features, power, and clarity for the buck -- that is a question as old as the first upgrade. Vehicle audio - Wikipedia The History of Car Radios

My son runs the Rockford Fosgate Prime amps in his truck, and for what little they cost, I can't see how you could get better. Even the RF Prime line is premium compared to crap like Lanzar, Crunch, (both of which back in the day were outstanding, but not now), Pyramid, Power Acoustik or Boss.

ahh yes well established brand names vs the copy cats (stuff sold at the swap meet) again a tale as old as time.

here is a list from 2007:

that same list then gets copy/pasted and a bit modified in 2011

there is a reason there are whole dedicated discussion communities on the topic.

r/audiophile - all about quality audio, gear, and reviews (sure it focuses on home audio.. but there is some good info)

and the list goes on; it is quite the rabbit hole to go down. TIL - what to buy depends HEAVILY on budget, listening style (SQL vs DB), casual vs competition, and numerous other factors. My suggestion is to find a local shop with speakers and or amplifiers for a listen and start there. Your ears will tell you if you like the sound of this vs that.

/sorry mods we are WAY off topic here.

last relevant question I see is:

Does anyone have colour coding for amp output died for door speakers etc - I already have sub on input side but was wary that when I wire 4 channel might lose some functionality if I do this ie/ sat Nav fader? Mazda CX-5 2018 6 speaker non Bose - any help or advice appreciated.

Take a peek here:

also realize Mazda with reuse wiring colors from other models

Thanks guys much appreciated had a look at diagrams for the earlier model cx5 I will check colours on the inlet and outlet plugs on tuner amp in footwell - if not I will have to test individually to match up -

Phil

Thanks guys much appreciated had a look at diagrams for the earlier model cx5 I will check colours on the inlet and outlet plugs on tuner amp in footwell - if not I will have to test individually to match up -

Phil

If you test individually definitely report back :)

So can anyone please confirm the PAC AOEM-MAZ2 will in fact work with a 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT with BOSE as plug and play? Receiving conflicting info saying will have to slice RCA’s into the harness before the LOC which would defeat the purpose IMO.

You have to slightly modify it. And I do mean slightly.
With the Bose amp, you don't use the blue breakout box. Instead you use RCA's that you have to connect *to the harness*.

The beauty of this harness is, you don't cut any factory wiring. Everything remains 100% intact.

On the part of the PAC harness that leads to the blue box, that's where you splice in RCA's to feed your amps. And then you don't use that box.

Attachments

• PXL_20230421_180350594.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230421_180350594.MP.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 42
You have to slightly modify it. And I do mean slightly.
With the Bose amp, you don't use the blue breakout box. Instead you use RCA's that you have to connect *to the harness*.

The beauty of this harness is, you don't cut any factory wiring. Everything remains 100% intact.

On the part of the PAC harness that leads to the blue box, that's where you splice in RCA's to feed your amps. And then you don't use that box.
So then the original post of this thread is wrong?!? I have the same CX-5 year model and trim (with BOSE) as the OP… very confused how it could (allegedly) work plug and play for so many before me.

I mean, if you run it through the LOC (blue box), and it will work, it's just you'll have to turn the gain on your amp WAY up to compensate. That decreases sound quality as it greatly increases the possibility of hearing hiss in the system.

To prevent this, take the 5 minutes to add the RCA's.

Besides, almost no modern amp requires the use of an LOC to begin with. I can't think of a single one on the market that won't accept speaker level inputs.

To be clear, the Bose head unit does *not* output a low Z speaker level speaker signal, it only physically looks like it does. It's a high Z output (same as an RCA), but in the physical form of low Z speaker.

Back