Cost of schedule-I maintenance

tting3

:
Mazda, CX-5
I have recently just purchased my 2016 Mazda CX-5 sport. During my purchase my dealer talked me into purchasing the schedule-I maintenance package, which cost a little less than 3k (60 months, 75000 miles). In the process of justifying it he said that the oil change would cost 130 per/6month, amounting to $1300 dollar in 5 years. There is this thing that would be changed when I reach 75k miles, I forgot what it is but he stated it to be $900. Therefore, I thought with tax and other services the cost should be around the price he gave me. However, I was looking through the forum and I see people complaining spending even just $50 for oil change.

So I guess my question is this, was it worth it?

Though it is already too late, it is never too late to learn.

I have recently just purchased my 2016 Mazda CX-5 sport. During my purchase my dealer talked me into purchasing the schedule-I maintenance package, which cost a little less than 3k (60 months, 75000 miles). In the process of justifying it he said that the oil change would cost 130 per/6month, amounting to $1300 dollar in 5 years. There is this thing that would be changed when I reach 75k miles, I forgot what it is but he stated it to be $900. Therefore, I thought with tax and other services the cost should be around the price he gave me. However, I was looking through the forum and I see people complaining spending even just $50 for oil change.

$3,000 for Schedule 1 maintenance up to 60 months or 75,000 miles? And $130 for an oil change? That's a total rip-off! Even with more expensive Mazda moly oil, my dealer charges $60 per oil change. Consider using Schedule 1 "Flexible" maintenance oil change schedule, you only need changing the oil once for 7,500 miles on average (up to 10,000 miles or 12 months with Mazda moly oil). 10 oil changes would cost $600 for 75,000 miles! If you read all things your CX-5 needs to be done from Schedule 1, there're not many up to 75,000 miles. The best way to do your maintenance is to follow the maintenance schedule outlined in your owner's manual, itemize which ones need to be done, and tell your dealer exactly what you want them to do if you're not a DIYer, no more, no less.

If you could, try to back off this Schedule 1 maintenance package deal. It won't hurt to talk to your dealer and you never know.

At a minimum for 75,000 miles, that is:

10 oil changes
10 tire rotations
2 cabin filters
2 air filters
1 Spark plug set

a chimp can do the air and cabin filters... so parts for them 4x$25 =$100,
syn oil changes and tire rotates $80x10= $800
skyactiv plugs from mazda 4x$25=$100

That's only $1000...I wonder where the other $2,000 went?(wedge)

It is not too late...you can get a refund for the prorated/unused portion of the maintenance contract. Typically see a 5/75k go for $1500 on the cx-5

Last edited:
You got gimmicked into one of the biggest screw jobs salesmen use. $3k? Over 10% of what the car cost...a salesman's dream sale occurred. Sorry you fell for this crap. Live and learn I guess...

10 oil changes
10 tire rotations
2 cabin filters
2 air filters
1 Spark plug set

Kobe beef and caviar for that salesman...

10 oil changes
10 tire rotations
2 cabin filters
2 air filters
1 Spark plug set

It is not too late...you can get a refund for the prorated/unused portion of the maintenance contract. Typically see a 5/75k go for $1500 on the cx-5

Thank you for the reply. I indeed called our dealer and he said that I can try the first time at the sixth month of my purchase and cancel it if I don't like it. The $900 dollar something I mentioned in my post is the engine coolant (is this true? this is done at the fifth year/75000 mile) . If I do negotiate with him, what price do you think will be worth it for this package. At last, in my next purchase of car, is it far to say that I should simply never pay for a maintenance package?

Thank you for the reply. I indeed called our dealer and he said that I can try the first time at the sixth month of my purchase and cancel it if I don't like it. The $900 dollar something I mentioned in my post is the engine coolant (is this true? this is done at the fifth year/75000 mile) . If I do negotiate with him, what price do you think will be worth it for this package. At last, in my next purchase of car, is it far to say that I should simply never pay for a maintenance package?

That has to be the most expensive coolant ever created. Hopefully it's good to absolute zero. All they do is drain and refill. $120.00 at the most at a dealer.
I'd ask for all my money back. It's a dealer rip-off. Oil changes at my dealer are $49.00. Sometimes $40.00 if they're running a special. That should also include rotation and if not it's about $20.00 extra. Cabin filters are about $15.00 and you can do it yourself. Took me about 1 minute. Most time was going to buy it.
Air filter should probably run $30-$50 installed. Do it yourself for $15.00 each.
Plugs should be about $100 - $150 but you usually don't need them to 100,000 miles.

Wow , I work at a auto plex , not in sales or service ,that has a Mazda dealership and I know the boys in sales would be doing a happy dance after you drove off.

Definitely get out of that contract if you can. The coolant is due to be changed every 120,000 miles or 10th year. Ed

If I do negotiate with him, what price do you think will be worth it for this package. At last, in my next purchase of car, is it far to say that I should simply never pay for a maintenance package?

If you insist, I guess a $1k would work, but yes, never buy the maintenance package. I had two dealers offer to throw it in for free when I was shopping around. That's the way it should be, and what your salesman did is why car salesmen carry a stereotype; snake in the grass.

If you wait 6 mos and use it, you won't get the full $$$ back, and he gets his big commission still.

If you insist, I guess a $1k would work, but yes, never buy the maintenance package. I had two dealers offer to throw it in for free when I was shopping around. That's the way it should be, and what your salesman did is why car salesmen carry a stereotype; snake in the grass.

I see. Thank you for the input.

I wished I had read this post earlier. I actually went to my dealer quite determined today to cancel this. He first stated that he understands if I really want to cancel and we can definitely do it, but he said he really wants me to try the first service. To show his honesty, he even write down a signed statement saying that he would refund me almost all of the money after the first service. He also mentioned that he had his family member doing the same deal. I've met quite a few bad salesmen along the way during this round of car purchase. Since I should be getting my refund, I think he absolutely deserves the commission with his skills. (Or maybe it's just me falling for sales trick as a newbie doing his first car purchase.)

If you wait 6 mos and use it, you won't get the full $$$ back, and he gets his big commission still.

I actually went to my dealer quite determined today to cancel this. He first stated that he understands if I really want to cancel and we can definitely do it, but he said he really wants me to try the first service. To show his honesty, he even write down a signed statement saying that he would refund me almost all of the money after the first service. He also mentioned that he had his family member doing the same deal. I've met quite a few bad salesmen along the way during this round of car purchase. Since I should be getting my refund, I think he absolutely deserves the commission with his skills. (Or maybe it's just me falling for sales trick as a newbie doing his first car purchase.)

Again, Thank you for the lesson

I have recently just purchased my 2016 Mazda CX-5 sport. During my purchase my dealer talked me into purchasing the schedule-I maintenance package, which cost a little less than 3k (60 months, 75000 miles). In the process of justifying it he said that the oil change would cost 130 per/6month (I spend about $50 per oil change, including oil. I change the oil every 5K. I drive about 20K a year. He over-shot a tiny bit, but not a huge deal as he's within the margin of "what brand of oil"...), amounting to $1300 dollar in 5 years. There is this thing that would be changed when I reach 75k miles (Spark plugs, and no, it damn well better not be $900, lol! My Jeep had 16 spark plugs, and were a PITA to reach, and that was 1/3 of that...), I forgot what it is but he stated it to be $900. Therefore, I thought with tax and other services the cost should be around the price he gave me. However, I was looking through the forum and I see people complaining spending even just $50 for oil change.

I would have gotten an extended warranty instead, for sure!

I wished I had read this post earlier. I actually went to my dealer quite determined today to cancel this. He first stated that he understands if I really want to cancel and we can definitely do it, but he said he really wants me to try the first service. To show his honesty, he even write down a signed statement saying that he would refund me almost all of the money after the first service. He also mentioned that he had his family member doing the same deal. I've met quite a few bad salesmen along the way during this round of car purchase. Since I should be getting my refund, I think he absolutely deserves the commission with his skills. (Or maybe it's just me falling for sales trick as a newbie doing his first car purchase.)

You can try negotiating for just the oil change and tire rotations. I negotiated a Mazda Maintenance plan (good for any Mazda dealership) for oil change and tire rotations @ every 4 months or 5k miles for 36 months or 36k miles. Got it down for $537.

Price for oil change/rotation is $80 x 3 times a year x 3 years = $720. I took the offer considering I don't like rotating my own tires (oil changes are easy on the other hand).

When contract expires after 3 years I'll purchase new tires from a shop which provides free rotations/balancing and just do oil changes myself.

Cabin Filters I purchase in bulk @ under $10 each and can literally change them with one hand. 20 seconds flat. No lie. Most dealerships charge $70-$80 for that service.

Back