Front Console 12 volt socket on 2016

navyflyboy73

:
2016 CX-5
The 2016 model doesn't have a 12 volt socket in the front console but I need one. So I have two questions.
1. Is there room behind the plastic wall just above the USB ports for the socket to go through without hitting something? It's about 2" deep. And if there is room;
2. How the heck can I take the front console off without breaking it so I can drill and mount the socket? If I can just get my hand behind it, that would be plenty good.

Yes. That one's taken up by phone charger. The two USB ports have chips in them and it leaves no place for a GPS.

Yes. That one's taken up by phone charger. The two USB ports have chips in them and it leaves no place for a GPS.
I added a circuit to power a GPS mounted on the window next to the A pillar. There is a fuse block behind a cover next to the drivers door. It has a fuse for the switched power outlet in the center consol. I used a Add- A -Circuit Fuse Tap Piggy Back Blade Fuse Holder available at NAPA and on ebay. To take power from there you just remove the fuse and plug in the tap with two fuses and attach a wire. The GPS now has a wire running down the edge of the dashboard next to the door and then under the dash into the fuse area. With the door closed it is invisible. btw. The fuse block is held in place with a 13 mm nut that is accessible through the fuse access door. It makes a handy ground stud. I installed a in line 12 volt socket in there and the GPS plugs into it. goes on and off with the ignition.

Yeah, I already got the Add-a-fuse. I think I'll mount the socket on the back wall of the little cubbyhole in front of my left knee. There's enough clearance behind it, it's easy enough to get to and it's pretty worthless for anything else.

Resurrecting this thread to see if someone knows if there is space behind the center console pocket, above the USB ports, to insert a cigarette outlet. Or is there an easy way to access behind that area without removing the entire center console?

I have a tablet mounted in the opening and using that location behind the tablet for a switched outlet would make for a very clean installation.

Resurrecting this thread to see if someone knows if there is space behind the center console pocket, above the USB ports, to insert a cigarette outlet. Or is there an easy way to access behind that area without removing the entire center console?

I have a tablet mounted in the opening and using that location behind the tablet for a switched outlet would make for a very clean installation.

Yes, there is space behind it.

To get to it you do have to pretty much take apart the whole center console. It is not too bad, but does take a little bit of time. I have a post on it here https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123856681-2016-Center-Console-Removal&highlight=

Please post where you draw power and how... I want to do the same thing. Also want to put a 120v outlet there....

Thank you. I was thinking more along the lines of cutting a hole for the the power receptacle from inside the cubby and fishing the power leads to the kick panel fuse box. I don't wish to remove a piece of the console, let alone the entire thing. I can't get my hands behind the cubby so i would be cutting blind. I am wary of cutting into a duct or wire harness. I may go with a small pilot hole and probe around.

Back