Innovate Boost controller PROBLEM

:
Mazda,Protege,Mazdaspeed
I have not been able to find this on any forum. Sorry if its somewhere already on the shelf. But i have a innovate scg-1 boost controller on my 2003 mazdaspeed protege, which is having an issue where the Hg (boost) doesn't read any boost over 0.0. Even when the turbo is boosting, it doesnt usually go past -8 or so. it idles at -22. And when the car is off it will just spit out random numbers. Iv taken it too a shop, they said my car isn't boosting past maximum wastegate pressure because of this issue. I plugged in a analog boost gauge and the pressure reads normal up to 6 lbs boost. If there's any more info i can give you, just ask.

Did you use tee into the right hose for your vacuum/boost source? I have mine tee'd into the hose that feeds to the blow-off valve for my boost gauge, I'm guessing you should do the same for your boost controller.

Another possibility (assuming you've tapped into the right boost/vac source) is your waste gate actuator is stuck open causing a boost leak large enough to prevent boost being built. The best way to check is to disconnect the vacuum hose plugged into the actuator and (while connected to the actuator) blow into it. If you're able to blow into it, its shot and needs to be replaced, otherwise its ok.

Last edited:
I replaced my wastegate actuator with an atx 6psi spring(stock) supposably. And the turbo cartridge on my Garrett stock. Still not boosting. Innovate scg-1 Boost gauge has been stuck at -28psi. I have no idea what it is .I'll be checking vacuum hoses tommorow. Any advise or suggestions on why my car is not boosting? My best guess is I somehow installed wastegate wrong?

You should be able to tell if the car is not boosting. You said you tried another boost gauge and it shows 6psi? I think the innovate is malfunctioning. I have had issues with my Innovate wideband, it has been working the last month or so but in the two years I have had it at least 18 months of that time it did not work.

I found out the problem, I had the wastegate adjusted incorrectly. But my boost guage is still malfunctioning. I called innovate and they suggested it to be a connection issue. Or something to do with the map sensor. hopefully checking that it will be an easy fix? But I am not familiar with electrical car work much

How do you have it wired? What connectors did you use to connect the wires? Where is it grounded?

Trying to replace my top o2 sensor. I have an innovate boost controller. Not sure if I need a stock o2 sensor for the top or the wideband. Any advise would help.

Install the wideband after the turbo, the stock O2 sensor must stay in the manifold. If you have the stock downpipe you can install the WBO2 in the spare bung in the J pipe.

I just got a two piece corksport downpipe and a full corksport intercooler kit with injen intake pipe. The corksport downpipe seems like it's the same size as the stock callaway. Doesn't seem it'd make a difference. Tempted to sell it all to get the pope downpipe and smic..any suggestions? Thanks for the replies. You've helped a lot

CS downpipe is 2.5", I would keep it. It definitely flows better than stock. They are known to break though so upgrade the motor mounts before you install.

My innovate boost gauge issue ended up being the "map sensor" that came with the innovate boost gauge. It was faulty, I replaced it and instantly started reading boost numbers normally.

Back