Lines on passenger dash after bring rear ended

chelseadohe

:
2012 mazda 3
Hey there,
So I was rear ended yesterday in my 2012 mazda 3. Pretty hard hit, the car who hit me was totalled. I thought I had escaped with not much damage to my car until I attempted to drive it home and noticed my airbag light on my dash was flashing red and when looking closely at my passenger dash I noticed there are several lines, almost like cuts, maybe where the airbag would or should have deployed ? The car is being towed to the shop now but I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this before. I had a passenger in the front during the accident and his head did hit the dashboard in the accident if that makes a difference. Any info would be greatly appreciated !

That is definitely where the airbag is located. Sounds like your friends head caused those engineered tear lines for the airbag to go ahead and open up.

I took a test drive in a 2016 3i Sport. It had the characteristic engineered lines on the dash already. Is there a defect on some of the dashes? The lines look like 1/2 an wide "X" about 6" wide.

Dash material quality is a huge worry for me as we have lots of direct sun. Also saw some of the "leather" trim tearing on a brand new showroom CX-5 GT.

Anyone have feedback on the current dash material quality? Do you think it is going to be as bad as Nissan/Infinities are after a few years?

No, I believe my 3's dash is the same. Do you have a windshield cover?

Our 2002 Protg dash is perfect after many years of daily sunshine. I do encourage my daughter to remember to place the window shield in-place after she arrives at work or home. My 89 MX6 GT's dash was perfect after 25 years, although at least 20 of those years went by with a dash cover in place. My 3 is always covered at work, so I'm not in the least bit worried about UV damage.

Back