2011 Mazda2 Sport - No Sound from Speakers?

imdy

:
2011 Mazda2 Sport
Hi there...

So, I just got in my car and there's no sound from the speakers. The central display turns on and looks like it's functioning, but that's it. I turned the car off and on a few times to see if it was a fluke, but nothing - a couple times there was a VERY (had to strain to hear it) quiet static.

My car is 100% stock, no modifications to the sound system or otherwise.

It literally worked when I parked it Friday evening, and didn't this morning. I didn't drive it all weekend because it was a holiday weekend, I like to drink, and my car's a stick...

I did search for this on this forum but the only thread I could find on it was from 2010 and mentioned it was a cold nights issue. As we've just had a wave of nasty heat and humidity, I don't think this is related to that. Via Google, I found a lot of hits about the Bose system, but I am pretty sure that's not what my car has.

I tried to check the fuses but I couldn't find an entry in the manual for the audio/stereo specifically. I am not a mechanic or even a hobbyist; the furthest I've gone is changing my oil and my brakes, but I learn quickly and would prefer to fix this myself if at all possible; my usual go-to mechanic is out of town this week and I would really prefer not to go any longer than I have to without audio.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hi there...

So, I just got in my car and there's no sound from the speakers. The central display turns on and looks like it's functioning, but that's it. I turned the car off and on a few times to see if it was a fluke, but nothing - a couple times there was a VERY (had to strain to hear it) quiet static.

My car is 100% stock, no modifications to the sound system or otherwise.

It literally worked when I parked it Friday evening, and didn't this morning. I didn't drive it all weekend because it was a holiday weekend, I like to drink, and my car's a stick...

I did search for this on this forum but the only thread I could find on it was from 2010 and mentioned it was a cold nights issue. As we've just had a wave of nasty heat and humidity, I don't think this is related to that. Via Google, I found a lot of hits about the Bose system, but I am pretty sure that's not what my car has.

I tried to check the fuses but I couldn't find an entry in the manual for the audio/stereo specifically. I am not a mechanic or even a hobbyist; the furthest I've gone is changing my oil and my brakes, but I learn quickly and would prefer to fix this myself if at all possible; my usual go-to mechanic is out of town this week and I would really prefer not to go any longer than I have to without audio.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I have the identical problem.
All fuses are fine... wiring connections appear fine.

I would love any insight here.

thanks

I have the same exact experience. I feel that it happens more when it is hot outside. It happened often during the summer, but once the weather got a little cooler, it started working again. It got warm again this week and now it is not working - again. :( I really hope this is temporary and I hope that someone will know how to fix this.

So after a couple hours of fruitless research, this morning, I resorted to banging on top the dashboard and that seemed to work! Just wanted to throw it out there.

I'll go with a brief "long" story for me. I bought my Mazda 2 2011 2 years ago form one of my friend and this radio problem was intermitent (She had the same problem previously). Headunit had been change on a Mazda recall before problem start happening. We couldn't bring the car to the dealer when it wasn't working when the car was under waranty. 1 month after the waranty expired in March 2015, the audio stop working completly. Since then, the radio didn't produce audio. Recently, we had freezing rain on a long ride and I was forced to put the defrost to the max for about an hour while driving the car to avoid ice on the windshield. The radio start to work back ! The next day, the radio didn't work. Today, I was stuck in the traffic and decided to reproduce the full blast defrost in the windshield, after about an hour in the traffic, the radio start working again ! I already check the fuse, get the head unit out and check the connections. I'll guess it's something in the dash (some people report on other forum also a bang on the right top of the radio on the dash fix temporally the problem). Also, I notice that my driver airbag light, just over the head unit, is sometime blinking, like a bad connection. I'll guess I will have to dissamble the complete dash to fix this problem ( :( )

Same problem here. The problem gets worse in the winter. A few times I've heard a loud 'pop' noise when things are working then no audio.

Usually two or three sharp bangs on the dash above the CD player with my palm gets it to start again, with a loud 'pop' noise. I have to hit the dash hard enough that my wife isn't able to get it to consistently work.

Everything seems to be working with the stereo other than making sounds. My best guess is either a bad cold solder joint in the amp, or a bad component, a cap or transistor likely.

It's a pain that the unit is such an odd shape, no way to put a drop in stereo in without buying a conversion kit.

I have half a mind to open up the dash, and go over the stereo with a multimeter. If it's simply replacing one bum component or reflowing a bit of solder, that's within my realm of capability.

If I ever do it and discover the source of the problem, I'll be sure to post back here with info.

Edit: 2011 Mazda 2 GS, BTW

Last edited:
FWIW, it takes me about 10 minutes to get the headunit out now. (Took me about an hour the first time, was scared to break stuff)

I am having the same problem every now and then, and yes after being frustrated I found out that banging on the dash very hard does usually get it to work lol

Same problem here.
Gotta whack the dash, pretty hard sometimes, to get it to come back on.
Strange.

So after a couple hours of fruitless research, this morning, I resorted to banging on top the dashboard and that seemed to work! Just wanted to throw it out there.

I have been doing the same for the last two years... now finally this method is no longer successful and I have no sound. Is my only option to take apart the dash and see if there is a loose connection?
Is there a recall on this for 2011 Mazda2, even if my warranty is done?

3 days ago I get into my 2011 Mazda 2 Sport and the radio display and audio were not working. It has been like that since.

I have experienced where the display works but no audio and hitting the dash fixed that but it is not working for this.

I have checked the fuse and it seems to be fine.

Any suggestions?

Sorry to bump, but have the same issue.

Initially, hitting the stereo hard with a clenched fist would cause the sound to come back on. Then even hitting it hard wouldn’t work.

Decided to remove and re-seat the stereo head and it worked for a day or two, then stopped again while driving. Now even re-seating the stereo head doesn’t work.

How can I know if it’s the stereo head or the wiring connecting to the back of the stereo head that’s faulty? The stereo head may be easier to replace, can generally find them under $100 on eBay.

I figured it would be easy to diagnose something so responsive to physical impact.
So I opened mine up and tapped around the board with a stick until the sound came back.

Turned out to be the solder on one of the 3 large SMD resistors on the board. I didn't take a photo, but look for 3 parts that look like this on the board:
hero-product-master.jpg

They must get hot, thermal cycle and develop micro fractures over the years.

Mine had gotten far beyond the point of smacking to fix.
I went the extra mile to wick up the old cracked solder, fluxed it up and applied fresh leaded solder to all 3.
Problem solved.

Last edited:
SWEET!
The clocks in the first gen Honda CR-V's have exactly the same issue: solder cracking on the resistors. Every time I go to the junk yard, I harvest the clocks out of any CR-V I find, take 5 minutes to fix them, then sell them on eBay for $40!

I figured it would be easy to diagnose something so responsive to physical impact.
So I opened mine up and tapped around the board with a stick until the sound came back.

Turned out to be the solder on one of the 3 large SMD resistors on the board. I didn't take a photo, but look for 3 parts that look like this on the board:
hero-product-master.jpg

They must get hot, thermal cycle and develop micro fractures over the years.

Mine had gotten far beyond the point of smacking to fix.
I went the extra mile to wick up the old cracked solder, fluxed it up and applied fresh leaded solder to all 3.
Problem solved.
You opened up the stereo head? Interesting... I found a cheap replacement identical stereo head on eBay that I figured would solve the problem but it didn't. For me, removing the stereo head and yanking around the speaker cables (that plug into the back of the stereo head) seemed to have solved the issue for me at least temporarily though.

It doesn't seem to be an issue with the stereo head, at least for me... But if it's not an issue with the stereo head, I wonder why all 6 speakers (Touring model) go out at once.

nice find @jdbens

gvsn8PS.jpeg

assuming it's the 3 by the amp heatsink. Going to reflow them before putting in storage :)

For anyone doing this:
1. Remove faceplate (held by 4 large screws)
2. Remove bottom cover (2 small screws and then pry off)

@jdbens ah thanks. Did the reflow last night and threw it in storage. Not sure I'll ever get to test it though unless I get a harness for it and put it to bench use or something. Unit required occasional smacks but was mostly fine.

Latest posts

Back