Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: 2011 Mazda 2 Sport - No Sound from Speakers?

Registered Member

2011 Mazda2 Sport

2011 Mazda 2 Sport - No Sound from Speakers?

Hi there...

So, I just got in my car and there's no sound from the speakers. The central display turns on and looks like it's functioning, but that's it. I turned the car off and on a few times to see if it was a fluke, but nothing - a couple times there was a VERY (had to strain to hear it) quiet static.

My car is 100% stock, no modifications to the sound system or otherwise.

It literally worked when I parked it Friday evening, and didn't this morning. I didn't drive it all weekend because it was a holiday weekend, I like to drink, and my car's a stick...

I did search for this on this forum but the only thread I could find on it was from 2010 and mentioned it was a cold nights issue. As we've just had a wave of nasty heat and humidity, I don't think this is related to that. Via Google, I found a lot of hits about the Bose system, but I am pretty sure that's not what my car has.

I tried to check the fuses but I couldn't find an entry in the manual for the audio/stereo specifically. I am not a mechanic or even a hobbyist; the furthest I've gone is changing my oil and my brakes, but I learn quickly and would prefer to fix this myself if at all possible; my usual go-to mechanic is out of town this week and I would really prefer not to go any longer than I have to without audio.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Registered Member

mazda 2

Quote Originally Posted by imdy View Post
    Hi there...

So, I just got in my car and there's no sound from the speakers. The central display turns on and looks like it's functioning, but that's it. I turned the car off and on a few times to see if it was a fluke, but nothing - a couple times there was a VERY (had to strain to hear it) quiet static.

My car is 100% stock, no modifications to the sound system or otherwise.

It literally worked when I parked it Friday evening, and didn't this morning. I didn't drive it all weekend because it was a holiday weekend, I like to drink, and my car's a stick...

I did search for this on this forum but the only thread I could find on it was from 2010 and mentioned it was a cold nights issue. As we've just had a wave of nasty heat and humidity, I don't think this is related to that. Via Google, I found a lot of hits about the Bose system, but I am pretty sure that's not what my car has.

I tried to check the fuses but I couldn't find an entry in the manual for the audio/stereo specifically. I am not a mechanic or even a hobbyist; the furthest I've gone is changing my oil and my brakes, but I learn quickly and would prefer to fix this myself if at all possible; my usual go-to mechanic is out of town this week and I would really prefer not to go any longer than I have to without audio.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    I have the identical problem.
    All fuses are fine... wiring connections appear fine.

I would love any insight here.

thanks

Registered Member

2011 Mazda2 touring

I have the same exact experience. I feel that it happens more when it is hot outside. It happened often during the summer, but once the weather got a little cooler, it started working again. It got warm again this week and now it is not working - again. I really hope this is temporary and I hope that someone will know how to fix this.

Registered Member

2011 Mazda2 touring

So after a couple hours of fruitless research, this morning, I resorted to banging on top the dashboard and that seemed to work! Just wanted to throw it out there.

Registered Member

Mazda 2 2011 / Mazda 6 2004

I'll go with a brief "long" story for me. I bought my Mazda 2 2011 2 years ago form one of my friend and this radio problem was intermitent (She had the same problem previously). Headunit had been change on a Mazda recall before problem start happening. We couldn't bring the car to the dealer when it wasn't working when the car was under waranty. 1 month after the waranty expired in March 2015, the audio stop working completly. Since then, the radio didn't produce audio. Recently, we had freezing rain on a long ride and I was forced to put the defrost to the max for about an hour while driving the car to avoid ice on the windshield. The radio start to work back ! The next day, the radio didn't work. Today, I was stuck in the traffic and decided to reproduce the full blast defrost in the windshield, after about an hour in the traffic, the radio start working again ! I already check the fuse, get the head unit out and check the connections. I'll guess it's something in the dash (some people report on other forum also a bang on the right top of the radio on the dash fix temporally the problem). Also, I notice that my driver airbag light, just over the head unit, is sometime blinking, like a bad connection. I'll guess I will have to dissamble the complete dash to fix this problem ( )

Registered Member

2011 Mazda 2

Same problem here. The problem gets worse in the winter. A few times I've heard a loud 'pop' noise when things are working then no audio.

Usually two or three sharp bangs on the dash above the CD player with my palm gets it to start again, with a loud 'pop' noise. I have to hit the dash hard enough that my wife isn't able to get it to consistently work.

Everything seems to be working with the stereo other than making sounds. My best guess is either a bad cold solder joint in the amp, or a bad component, a cap or transistor likely.

It's a pain that the unit is such an odd shape, no way to put a drop in stereo in without buying a conversion kit.

I have half a mind to open up the dash, and go over the stereo with a multimeter. If it's simply replacing one bum component or reflowing a bit of solder, that's within my realm of capability.

If I ever do it and discover the source of the problem, I'll be sure to post back here with info.

Edit: 2011 Mazda 2 GS, BTW
    Last edited by jinker; 02-13-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Registered Member genericmoniker's Avatar

2011 Mazda 2 GS

FWIW, it takes me about 10 minutes to get the headunit out now. (Took me about an hour the first time, was scared to break stuff)
    -2011 Mazda 2 GS - H&R springs, not much else.
    -1988 Mazda RX7 Turbo 2 - some stuff

Probe GT, Mazda 2

I am having the same problem every now and then, and yes after being frustrated I found out that banging on the dash very hard does usually get it to work lol
    2011 Mazda2: HR Springs, K&N, Racing Beat muffler, CS antenna

Current: 1995 PGT, 1998 Subaru Forester
    Gone: 1993 PGT- Scrapped, 1992 Mazda MX3- Sold, 2004 VW Beetle 1.8T- Traded in

Registered Member

2011 Mazda2 Sport (Manual)

Same problem here.
    Gotta whack the dash, pretty hard sometimes, to get it to come back on.
    Strange.

Registered Member

There was a recall for it. The wife had hers done a while back . They swap out the radio

Probe GT, Mazda 2

A recall for everyone or just 3 years old or less vehicles?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.