Steering Clunk Issue

cukaracha

:
Mazda 2 Sport
Hello,

I'm having the same steering clunk issue that I read about here. A couple of questions:

1) Has anyone simply ignored this noise? Any long term detrimental effects?
2) I'm thinking of greasing the intermediate shaft and U joint. Is there a write up on how exactly to get to these parts? I've never done steering work before, although I have experience with suspension work.

Thanks in advance!

2011 Mazda 2 Sport

Can't speak as to the noise itself, but getting to the Ujoint and shaft is pretty easy.

Just stick your head under your steering wheel, and follow the only shaft there. Grease what should be moving.

Hello,

I'm having the same steering clunk issue that I read about here. A couple of questions:

1) Has anyone simply ignored this noise? Any long term detrimental effects?
2) I'm thinking of greasing the intermediate shaft and U joint. Is there a write up on how exactly to get to these parts? I've never done steering work before, although I have experience with suspension work.

Thanks in advance!

2011 Mazda 2 Sport

I drove with the clunk for over a year and it never got worse. A few weeks ago I posted in the thread you mentioned, with a simple fix, and it hasn't returned. Just follow those directions. The U-joint isn't causing the noise, it's the splines on the telescoping portion of the shaft. No experience needed.

I drove with the clunk for over a year and it never got worse. A few weeks ago I posted in the thread you mentioned, with a simple fix, and it hasn't returned. Just follow those directions. The U-joint isn't causing the noise, it's the splines on the telescoping portion of the shaft. No experience needed.

For everyone's benefit, I believe this is the post you are referring to:

Center your steering.
Look under your dash and find the plastic shroud covering the base of your steering rack, just behind the pedals.
Lift up and pull out to remove it.
Use a 12mm socket to remove the bolt. A wrench won't be thin enough. You might need an extension. I used a small impact driver and a 12mm deep socket.
Unlock your tilt by lifting up on the lever.
Push up on the skinny part of the shaft until it detaches from it's base then pull out to reveal the bottom end of some splines.
I used some spray grease because that's what I had laying around. I think a thicker synthetic grease would be better in the long run. Coat those splines and pump it.
Re-assemble and go for a drive.

Back