Mazda 5 vs CX-5

tfigs121

:
Mazda 5
I currently own a 2009 Mazda 5 and love it. It has 82,000 miles and I was thinking of getting a new Mazda. I am torn between a 2015 Mazda 5 and the CX-5. I can't find accurate info on the internet regarding cargo space. I love the versatility of the Mazda 5 and don't want to give up cargo space, plus the sliding doors are super convenient for loading. From what I can find, they seem almost identical in size. I know the CX-5 has the Skyactiv engine. Any other advantages of the CX-5 over the 5?

Thanks for any info anyone can share.

Thom

I currently own a 2009 Mazda 5 and love it. It has 82,000 miles and I was thinking of getting a new Mazda. I am torn between a 2015 Mazda 5 and the CX-5. I can't find accurate info on the internet regarding cargo space. I love the versatility of the Mazda 5 and don't want to give up cargo space, plus the sliding doors are super convenient for loading. From what I can find, they seem almost identical in size. I know the CX-5 has the Skyactiv engine. Any other advantages of the CX-5 over the 5?

Thanks for any info anyone can share.

Thom

Yes. It doesn't look like a miniature Ford Windstar, rofl!

2003_ford_windstar_lx-pic-21704.jpeg

Mazda_5_front_20080222.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I never ever even thought about a Mazda until I drove a Mazda 5 with the wife. That was a very nice car. Just too small to be a real mini-van. The car actually handles better than the CX-5 and feels very nimble. If you only need a 3-5 person vehicle with an occasional 3rd row that is a great car.

If you like your old Mazda5, and don't mind to drive a "mini" van with very convenient sliding doors, go get a new 2015 Mazda5. The 3rd row seating is very nice to have, and it's going to be unavailable soon as Mazda has decided not selling it in the US. Madza5 has a lot more utility part including more useful cabin space, but lack of the latest technologies. Yeah, SkyActiv Technology is the major advantage on CX-5.

Hard to beat the ease of entry into the old Mazda5, especially second row... plus the sliding doors...and even though it is very small, the 3rd row did come in handy a few times... the car like ride is pleasant also. With all the seats folded, could fit more cargo...

The CX-5 Chassis is nicer, SKYACTIV engine better, more power and mpg, more driver legroom, crash tested safer, Blind spot monitoring, infotainment system... the CX5 is a more modern vehicle.

Last edited:
Hard to beat the ease of entry into the old Mazda5, especially second row... plus the sliding doors...and even though it is very small, the 3rd row did come in handy a few times... the car like ride is pleasant also. With all the seats folded, could fit more cargo...

The CX-5 Chassis is nicer, SKYACTIV engine better, more power and mpg, more driver legroom, crash tested safer, Blind spot monitoring, infotainment system... the CX5 is a more modern vehicle.

100% this.

I don't think you can cross-compare the two easily, they are quite different vehicles. I had a 5 loaner for a while when my CX-5 was getting warranty work done and while it was a hoot to bomb around in, it is a very different animal. I can barely fit in the 5, though I am 6'-4". If you are used to the capabilities of the 5 I would stick with a newer model year.

This may not be true for front passenger on 2016 CX-5 according to NHTSA frontal crash test rating.

Although IIHS tests give it a top pick. Variation in the tests?

This thread has useful data: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ting-3-(out-of-5)-for-Frontal-Crash-Passenger

Neck tension was higher. The report below shows that the passenger head didn't evenly contact the head rest - it sort of hit the corner of it. Maybe that's why. Somewhat higher on left femur. Basically seems like the dummy moved around a bit more.

The full report with loads of technical data is available here: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/databa...istvideo=Y&v_tstno=9136&database=v&tstno=9136

Last edited:
I went from a 2010 5 to a 2015 CX-5. I will say I sometimes really miss the Mazda5. I think it was better for storage. The other thing I miss, is to me the Mazda5 was more nimble and more fun to drive. The one thing I like about my CX-5 is I feel there is more car around us and therefore an increase in the safety factor. The AWD has helped on a few occasions but since we are retired we can just stay home during bad weather.
There's just the two of us so my 5 had lots of open space. It just seemed larger.
The CX-5 is a great auto but every now and then...........
Trying again to get my reply on thread. See if this works.

I went from a 2010 5 to a 2015 CX-5. I will say I sometimes really miss the Mazda5. I think it was better for storage. The other thing I miss, is to me the Mazda5 was more nimble and more fun to drive. The one thing I like about my CX-5 is I feel there is more car around us and therefore an increase in the safety factor. The AWD has helped on a few occasions but since we are retired we can just stay home during bad weather.
There's just the two of us so my 5 had lots of open space. It just seemed larger.
The CX-5 is a great auto but every now and then...........
Trying again to get my reply on thread. See if this works.
My brother has a Mazda5 and he likes it a lot too. I can tell although it's smaller, but it offers many "utility" functions like a minivan but more fuel efficient. It can be a "mini" people mover with third-row seating or plenty "useful" cabin space without it. It's easier to get in and out due to its sliding doors and low ground clearance which is great for older people. One thing caught me by surprise is that people keep commenting Mazda5 is more nimble and more fun to drive than CX-5! Unfortunately it's going to be obsolete in the US although it's still popular in other regions. If Mazda would apply full SkyActiv Technology into the Mazda5, we'll seriously consider getting one.

I have both. Wife drives the five. 2012 is what she has I have 2016 cx5

Cx feels more modern a bit nicer. Better infotainment. Higher. Definatley a little wider. She feels it driving smaller streets.

Wish the 5 had sky active. I get slightly better mileage. 5 is low and it's easy to forget I'm driving a van. Cx5 I have to slow more for corners but not for dips!

Much better car for small kids. We would have dented hundreds of cars with the cx5. Now that our kid is over 6 she's better about it so it's ok.

Cargo wise. Both are pretty similar. The extra row comes in handy often. And it doesn't feel like a van. Oh and it's actually a mini van. Odessy? Sorry nothing mini about that thing. Regardless lets say with the 3rd row down. And no row down in the cx5 I can get more stuff under the cargo cover. But I think overall if I have too I can get more into the 5. Strange.

We love both. Would have liked to have seen more updates to the 5, i.e. Same infotainment as the other cars and sky active. Sad it's not going to be around

Back