Future CX-5 owner concerned about transmission

estebanfj

:
cx5 2016
hello everyone,

I just bought a brand new mazda cx5 2016 s grand touring 2wd in mexico, I will have it with me on Friday.

I am very concerned about possible issues with the automatic transmission, I've been reading some complaints with it regarding some delay while engaging the gears and stuff like that

should I've be seriously concerned about it ?? can anyone post some experiences with cx5 2016 2.5 automatic transmission ??? high mileages without issues ??

I want the truck mostly for highway traveling and it would be very bad if it comes with such an issue

thanks

The failure rates of the auto transmissions has been very low. Have they failed? Yes but replaced under warranty.

All new car manufacturers experience issues and with Mazda maybe a bad batch of trans parts might have caused this. Hard to say. Once again, the failures have been very, very low and the trans gives a warning before it fails. Usually delaying going into reverse or drive or a neutral rev and bang into gear. If that starts happening, you have time to get to the dealer and have the trans replaced.

does anyone in this forum has their transmission replaced and being issue free after that ?? Im wondering why this issue seems to be more present on 2016 models :S, maybe the sport mode has something on it ?? can people with issue free cx5 2016 mention their current mileage ??

does anyone in this forum has their transmission replaced and being issue free after that ?? Im wondering why this issue seems to be more present on 2016 models :S, maybe the sport mode has something on it ?? can people with issue free cx5 2016 mention their current mileage ??

I've had my CX-5 Touring for 13 months now. Although I don't put many miles on it, it's basically our second car, I've had no problems. Currently have 6,600 miles on odometer.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it as some member with replaced transmission had confirmed with Mazda North American Operations that the failed transmissions in 2016 CX-5 is caused by a batch of bad parts. If they know this, the problem should have been fixed with good parts and no more worries for new car purchasers.

I had mine replaced 20 thousand miles ago at 32k and have been incident free. When I had an issue Mazda stepped up and took care of the matter right way. It's a complex part of the drive train for every manufacturer and no one makes a 100% problem-free trans these days. Everything is software and electronics. I believe Mazda has a better track record than most and wouldn't worry about it. I know I don't. I really enjoy driving this vehicle even after 3years of ownership. Just enjoy your ride and stop looking for something to worry about.

good to know mazda fixes it, what were the issues with yours ?? delay between P-D P-R and stuff like that ??

I had mine replaced 20 thousand miles ago at 32k and have been incident free. When I had an issue Mazda stepped up and took care of the matter right way. It's a complex part of the drive train for every manufacturer and no one makes a 100% problem-free trans these days. Everything is software and electronics. I believe Mazda has a better track record than most and wouldn't worry about it. I know I don't. I really enjoy driving this vehicle even after 3years of ownership. Just enjoy your ride and stop looking for something to worry about.

Engine and transmission are both made in Japan.
Do NOT worry!

Welcome to this beautiful community and enjoy your Mazda life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good to know mazda fixes it, what were the issues with yours ?? delay between P-D P-R and stuff like that ??

Mine made a weird whistling noise, possibly due to a bearing going bad. I had no issues with the trans acting up. Acted completely normal.

Our 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring just started doing the delayed engagement from Reverse to 1st. Wow, it is such a shock the first time it happens... When it engages, it is so sudden and harsh you think for a minute someone has hit you from behind.

Have an appointment with the dealer Monday. Our car is 9 months old with 6600 miles.

Mike

Quick question and please don't be offended. When you change from forward to reverse and vice verca, do you come to a complete stand before shifting?

Quick question and please don't be offended. When you change from forward to reverse and vice verca, do you come to a complete stand before shifting?

Always. In the past people never took the time to do this and the bands inside older trannies took the impact like a champ but newer transmissions do not tolerate that very well so I made an habit of stopping completely before going from D to R and viceversa. Simple common sense.

BTW I do own a 2016 CX-5 Touring with the 2.0 engine and has been trouble free for 4500 miles.

Could you please tell me your date of manufacture and transmission serial and part number? You can see it on the right side beside the engine.just to compare with other cases
Our 2016 CX-5 Grand Touring just started doing the delayed engagement from Reverse to 1st. Wow, it is such a shock the first time it happens... When it engages, it is so sudden and harsh you think for a minute someone has hit you from behind.

Have an appointment with the dealer Monday. Our car is 9 months old with 6600 miles.

Mike

Could you please tell me your date of manufacture and transmission serial and part number? You can see it on the right side beside the engine.just to compare with other cases

No problem.
Car was built 06/2015
Engine #: PY30435852
Transmission #: 5TN0611129

Mike

But what was your part number?mine is a cx5 2016 2.5 made in 02/16 Just 300 miles transmission part Fwhd0 serial number 6tr0230394 no issues now. Could you provide me your part code please?Its in the same sticker
No problem.
Car was built 06/2015
Engine #: PY30435852
Transmission #: 5TN0611129

Mike

But what was your part number?mine is a cx5 2016 2.5 made in 02/16 Just 300 miles transmission part Fwhd0 serial number 6tr0230394 no issues now. Could you provide me your part code please?Its in the same sticker

Part #: FW7R0

Mike

For those of us who have older ones unaffected by the defective units, 55k mi later mine trans/transfer/rear diff are doing great. And I pretty much shift my own gear 1-2-3 and shift anything below 5th usually because I always like to be in the powerband. I also down shift into 3rd with 400-300rpm of redline when I need max grip on a corner or want max acceleration when passing on a regular basis. I wot redline shift all day. I also do my own fluids and changed the trans/dif/transfer fluid every 30k.

Back