Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

The cracked area is dry. It just caught my eye today when I looked over at it. Pictures kinda suck I know. This cracked area is over the top of a bolt. The threads show up on the right side behind crack. It doesn't look like it is cracked very far down though if it is. Just looks kinda sloppy in that area. I only took off the front half of splash shield this time so inspection in this area doesn't require the whole shield to be removed. It does help to have vehicle on some ramps though.

IMG_6182.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like I do need move up my planned schedule to change gear oil in transfer case and rear differential for possible low factory fill, and ATF drain-and-fill to have a reason to drop the belly pan and check the possible leak like yours at the same time.

Don't drop it until the issue is resolved. You will recieved a lot of hassle if you do.

If one does want to look at this area no need to remove fasteners further back than the first set of silver screws. This will allow you to remove the front piece of the splash-shield. It is actually two main pieces.

They usually dump some dye in the motor or trans then let you drive for a few miles and then you come back and then they hit the affected area with a black light to determine where it's leaking from.

Another trick is to spray athelete's foot powder in the area. The oil will leave a track back to the source.

Just checked mine just to see if there was anything. Dry @ 9,xxx miles. I do have the manual tranny though.

ohRQEeY.jpg

ViFpRne.jpg

I might have a ghost leak... dealer wants me to put some more miles on it. They didn't think that small residue was related. I didn't look at how clean area was after last visit so I can't argue that. They also said the crack is just a casting artifact and won't affect structural integrity. It's on record if it does become an issue. Nothing showed up on black light so if the leak does appear I would think AT.

I might have a ghost leak... dealer wants me to put some more miles on it. They didn't think that small residue was related. I didn't look at how clean area was after last visit so I can't argue that. They also said the crack is just a casting artifact and won't affect structural integrity. It's on record if it does become an issue. Nothing showed up on black light so if the leak does appear I would think AT.

Can you describe the color/texture of the "ghost oil". I ask since I recently came back from a trip to Disney land with AC full blast for about 6 hours. Stopped at a Walmart and left car running. Noticed lots of fluid dripped unto the parking lot as if I spilled a large 64 oz cup of soda. Its the AC condensation.

It could have been leftover from the original incident as per this original pic.

IMG_6088.jpeg

At least I have a baseline of what it looks like right now.

Hmm sounds like dealer can't do much or maybe doesn't want to deal with it. Interesting how another owner was able to get a new engine on the first try. I would track this and if it keeps happening, keep bugging them. Or try a different dealer?

I plan to... there was no denying from service writer & mechanic that there was something there the first time. I just wish I had dropped splash shield after the first work to see if what I thought was "new" residue was just leftover from before.

I really like my current dealer. They took me back and even let me stand under the car on lift talking about the issue. My next oil change is at the end of July so we'll see if anything shows up since dye is still in the oil.

Yeah, right! Any of these kind of cracks will affect the structure integrity. The question is just how much. That part of casing cracked either under standard torque of the bolting process which means the weak spot during improper casting, or the machine applied too much torque on bolt and cracked the casing. Either way, that casing should get replaced under warranty due to defect or poor workmanship.

But in reality, Mazda dealer or Mazda North American Operations would only say, "it's normal...", a standard answer for something in gray area which costs too much to fix under warranty.

I was planning on taking some measurements with my caliper next time I drop splash shield. Obviously... it could just crack all at once but this is something I can do to help counter the "normal" argument if it appears to be spreading.

I need to see if I can track down the torque specs of the bolt behind the cracked area in the FSM.

I had a Hyundai that only leaked in colder weather, once the weather warmed up the thing healed itself. I had it in repeatedly for an oil pan leak that finally let the dye seep out in late fall. s*** happens.

If you rub the "cracks" a bit with a file I think you will find that they are surface blemishes from residue in the cast mold and are not deep and do not weaken the part significantly.

madar: Good idea to check on it in the cold season. It is primarily garaged but it gets to see plenty of cold during the day in winter.

GAXIBM: I might do as you suggest later with file....I'm not too worried about it right now... I get a little OC at times when I am looking at things from a detailed perspective. :)

I didn't notice anything further seepage while changing the oil today. One thing I did notice for those that are curious on their own vehicles is that the separate inspection door right in front of the oil filter/ plug door offers a good view of the area.

If you can remove one screw to remove the panel and use your phone to take pictures this should give you an idea if you have a problem or not on yours. If you have your car up on ramps you can also see in there fairly well.

IMG_6336.JPG

I was rotating the tires today and doing a typical examination for wear and leaks. Up near the front right tire while wheel was off some wetness around the oil pan on the passenger side caught my eye. I thought it was oil pan gasket but seems to be coming from somewhere around the AC compressor on the back of motor near to the AC pulley. Pictures aren't really good but here are a few to at least give orientation. Not enough to accumulate on the splash shield or drip.

This will be a dealer visit... and not spilled oil from an oil change as I do those.

EDIT: Maybe my AC compressor is leaking oil?

IMG_6560.JPG

IMG_6566.JPG

IMG_6568.JPG

IMG_6569.JPG

Good grief! What the hell is "Made in China" on that thing?
Oh, it's the drive belt. Whouda' thunk it?!

Back