Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

I already have that with a front bushing groan up in the front left. There is a TSB but I'm past 3/36 so will let it be. If I have a warranty I use it. If this rig already had 100k miles on it I would probably care less.... at 40K miles and up to three leaks/weeps (one cam cover, either engine/AT or both on the bottom) not acceptable to me. It took nearly 15 years and 120k miles for my rear main seal to start seeping on my old 5.0L '96 Explorer. Otherwise everything else was dry.

Just think, you could have had Apple and Andrlid interface and more power and luxury with a used jeep grand Cherokee. Now all you got is Chryslers issues with none of the perks:(

Seriously, trade it in and move on. Appliances shouldn't cause stress.

I agree with you. On my 180,878-mile 1998 Honda CR-V the engine / transaxle area looks better than yours with only some minor oil seepages around the oil pan gasket. We should take care of these small seepages if we still have warranty. Unobtanium's CX-5 has no warranty now and he should just ignore these issues as those fixes however minor usually are very expensive.

I have a warranty, extended, and I had one for 30k miles of ownership. I just dont care. Because life is too short to worry about minor inconveniences that are highly unlikely to cause a real issue with my appliance. If this happened to my Corvette or other luxury purchases, hell yeah, but this is a commodity.

No.. I've got my GX for that... sure it doesn't have Carplay or Android and a dated infotainment but just but every other modern convenience out there. I hear ya on the Jeep.. I have a '00 Wrangler and while the 4.0L is bullet-proof with the 5-speed manual... little things like broken manual climate control and shocks that seem to break the bushing gets old.

I came from a family with grandparents who lived through the depression and my parents were born during the war. It was instilled in me at an early age to fix things rather than replace if possible. I still believe this can be fixed and I plan to own long term. Nothing says this won't become a river over 100k miles. I also never trade and only sell my cars "by owner" at the 10+ mark. Everyone has their way of doing things and if it is convenient for one to turn over to another car every few years or replace when there are problems that is their choice. Just trying to keep myself on track for retirement at 55.

Just think, you could have had Apple and Andrlid interface and more power and luxury with a used jeep grand Cherokee. Now all you got is Chryslers issues with none of the perks:(

Seriously, trade it in and move on. Appliances shouldn't cause stress.

Yep, mine is leaking again. Repair lasted a whole whopping 10k miles, 9 months. I went to change the oil today and noticed oil on the access door underneath, thought maybe the oil filter or drain plug started dripping...nope, timing chain cover. Just checked it a few weeks ago and it was dry, must not like the cold weather.

Mine seeps merrily along. Or maybe it's just "wicking" like the Mazda paperwork says on it. 97K miles and counting though, and runs fine.

Mine seeps merrily along. Or maybe it's just "wicking" like the Mazda paperwork says on it. 97K miles and counting though, and runs fine.

If I was close to 100K it wouldn't be much of an issue, mainly because I would've traded it for a Toyota way before then. I'm at 24k miles, shouldn't be doing this. This is 2018, you'd think they would've nailed this kind of problem by now.

I think the cold weather will bring it out for me again soon. Earlier in year when cooler it was noticeable then dried up over summer but now has started to weep again. This is in reference to timing chain cover... I haven't dropped the splash shield lately to check on status there. The weep/leak on the bottom is one thing as it does not cause a noticeable drop in oil but I definitely do not want any amount of oil dropping on the belt or pulleys that could occur with this timing chain cover leak.

If I was close to 100K it wouldn't be much of an issue, mainly because I would've traded it for a Toyota way before then. I'm at 24k miles, shouldn't be doing this. This is 2018, you'd think they would've nailed this kind of problem by now.
It may be 2018, but yo car still living in 2016!

Why even buy a mazda if youre going to trade in less than 100k miles? They lose value so fast. At least go lexus or toyota so you dont lose your shirt on trading every 3 years.

It may be 2018, but yo car still living in 2016!

Why even buy a mazda if youre going to trade in less than 100k miles? They lose value so fast. At least go lexus or toyota so you dont lose your shirt on trading every 3 years.

Umm, I said I was going to go with Toyota, I actually plan for the 2020 Rav4. Too many other annoyances with this CX5. I wonder why any car made in the 2000s leak, automobiles have been around for over 100 years, you'd think they'd have oil leaks solved by now, and it's really ridiculous that a timing cover leak can be a problem on this engine for so many years. First TSB came out what...3 or 4 years ago?

Umm, I said I was going to go with Toyota, I actually plan for the 2020 Rav4. Too many other annoyances with this CX5. I wonder why any car made in the 2000s leak, automobiles have been around for over 100 years, you'd think they'd have oil leaks solved by now, and it's really ridiculous that a timing cover leak can be a problem on this engine for so many years. First TSB came out what...3 or 4 years ago?

My GM products didnt leak. My chrystler and mazda did/do. Where i draw the line is: does it soil the garage floor? Does it cause functional issue?

Car is at the dealer now. Apparently there's some kind of TSB regarding the oil pan leaking which requires replacement?? Tech was telling me about it because he said my oil pan was leaking. I didn't agree with him but we'll see what he finds when he takes it apart.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20181107_104820254.jpg
    IMG_20181107_104820254.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 454
The colder temps seem to increase the weep/leaks so I will likely be taking mine back in soon as well. I am really in the home stretch by next July if I will be a repeat buyer.

The colder temps seem to increase the weep/leaks so I will likely be taking mine back in soon as well. I am really in the home stretch by next July if I will be a repeat buyer.

Yep, that's when mine started leaking a few weeks ago, during the first cold snap. I'm surprised at the amount of oil that leaked out. There was a small puddle on the oil filter access door just ready to drip out.

Yep, that's when mine started leaking a few weeks ago, during the first cold snap. I'm surprised at the amount of oil that leaked out. There was a small puddle on the oil filter access door just ready to drip out.
I agree with you that the oil leak doesnt look like caused by oil pan from the picture you posted as we can see oils way above the pan. It seems to be from timing chain cover area again and I believe your dealer didnt do a proper job fixing the original leak based on the TSB. I didnt see any oils in that area last time when I changed my oil, but thats a couple of months ago when the weather was warm.

How did you get that Japanese made OEM oil filter by the way? Or is there the -MV we cant see after the PE01-14-302A on the oil filter? ;)

I agree with you that the oil leak doesn*t look like caused by oil pan from the picture you posted as we can see oils way above the pan. It seems to be from timing chain cover area again and I believe your dealer didn*t do a proper job fixing the original leak based on the TSB. I didn*t see any oils in that area last time when I changed my oil, but that*s a couple of months ago when the weather was warm.

How did you get that Japanese made OEM oil filter by the way? Or is there the *-MV* we can*t see after the *PE01-14-302A* on the oil filter? ;)
It's the MV...just changed the oil and filter a week ago for nothing...

Car is at the dealer now. Apparently there's some kind of TSB regarding the oil pan leaking which requires replacement?? Tech was telling me about it because he said my oil pan was leaking. I didn't agree with him but we'll see what he finds when he takes it apart.

attachment.php

Where'd you get the Japanese oil filter?

Edit: I fail at reading lol, never mind.

Last edited:
Just got the car home, Engine oil is overfilled by about a half quart! Brakes feel spongy. Almost didn't stop the first time I used them. Guess I have to make another trip down there. Really looking forward to that customer survey.

Last edited:
Just got the car home, Engine oil is overfilled by about a half quart! Brakes feel spongy. Almost didn't stop the first time I used them. Guess I have to make another trip down there. Really looking forward to that customer survey.
Those incompetent techs at the dealership are really screwing things up. I listed 10 items needing attention right before my new car warranty expired. The tech screwed several items up and refused to perform the EPB TSB. I talked to a master tech and he checked and agreed the EPB fix is needed. I requested that master tech to do the job in person as I no longer trust the tech who made several mistakes, he agreed and the brake works fine afterwards without introducing any air into the system like you did with rear caliper replacement.

Did you get a new oil pan or just a new oil pan gasket?

Back