Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

I thought I cleaned the timing chain area pretty good before taking CX-5 in for the recent work. I think I am seeing some fresh oil so gonna really clean it well with some brake cleaner today and check back in 2-3 weeks. If fresh oil shows up I will be taking back in for timing chain area repair #2. It appeared to be leaking again on that side but dealer said it wasn't....but I didn't push as I wanted to get the main leak sorted first.

5 months of warranty left.

Things still seem dry around the timing chain cover.... then as I was checking things out to see where the PCV valve is at under the intake area I noticed two 10mm bracket bolts that were loose. Bracket appears to hold the wiring harnesses on front of the transmission. Just barely threaded in... something overlooked on recent repair. Oh well... I wasn't gonna tear things apart to get to them directly but was able to reach in with a really long 1/4 extension and and universal joint socket adapter on the socket. These small bolts probably would have fallen out in a year or so.

Things still seem dry around the timing chain cover.... then as I was checking things out to see where the PCV valve is at under the intake area I noticed two 10mm bracket bolts that were loose. Bracket appears to hold the wiring harnesses on front of the transmission. Just barely threaded in... something overlooked on recent repair. Oh well... I wasn't gonna tear things apart to get to them directly but was able to reach in with a really long 1/4 extension and and universal joint socket adapter on the socket. These small bolts probably would have fallen out in a year or so.
It's one of the reasons I hate big tear-downs and reassembly jobs. Even the most diligent person can overlook something if they get distracted even a little bit.

Yeah... I wasn't gonna get all bent out of shape over it. Just wanted to get them locked down. Fortunate I could just tighten them topside without having to remove anything.

Yeah... I wasn't gonna get all bent out of shape over it. Just wanted to get them locked down. Fortunate I could just tighten them topside without having to remove anything.
Just goes to show that it is a good idea to be diligent and double check these things.

I did an inspection today and think my timing chain cover still has a slight leak. I'd say more a seep than a weep. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and gonna keep a close watch over this month. Powertrain warranty ends at the end of July so may have to live this one if I don't get resolution. I guess it could be worse...it's not an oil burner :)

I did an inspection today and think my timing chain cover still has a slight leak. I'd say more a seep than a weep. I cleaned it with brake cleaner and gonna keep a close watch over this month. Powertrain warranty ends at the end of July so may have to live this one if I don't get resolution. I guess it could be worse...it's not an oil burner :)
Yeah once there's a problem sometimes it's hard to fix it even if dealer has tried many times. I did the oil change to my CX-5 on the other day and had tried to check any leaks underneath the timing chain and oil pan area but couldn't see any. Eventually I need to take the whole belly pan down and check entire area making sure there's no leaks before my powertrain warranty runs out.

yeah, mine still has an oil film creeping out from the timing cover working its way down to the replaced oil pan. I'm not going back until I see a drip, though, after a call to Mazda. Ridiculous! I only have 30k miles on it. But, when you see all the engine problems Honda and Subaru are having, it really pales in comparison. Must be the new quality standards of this time...

A high pressure fuel pump and fpr were what deadlined my gen 1. Its always the s*** you don't expect. Id honestly motor on, man. The oil weep wont be what gets it.

A high pressure fuel pump and fpr were what deadlined my gen 1. Its always the s*** you don't expect. Id honestly motor on, man. The oil weep wont be what gets it.

If it had over 50k miles on it, I'd probably give it a total pass. But at this mileage? I don't want it to look like a Texas oil well at 50K! Like I said I'll wait for the drips. Should be any day now...It's not about what's going to get it, it's about the mess it's going to cause down the road.

If it had over 50k miles on it, I'd probably give it a total pass. But at this mileage? I don't want it to look like a Texas oil well at 50K! Like I said I'll wait for the drips. Should be any day now...It's not about what's going to get it, it's about the mess it's going to cause down the road.

My Jeep was leaking ATF from day 1 nearly (the owner plugged it with a random bolt in to the bellhousing!), and made it to almost 100K miles. Transmission never died, and the leak never sped up.

No residual leak from the fixed rear main seal but notice this apparent engine mount bolt loose as I had dropped the underbelly plastics for my AT fluid check.

I need to look in FSM for torque specs as it was half threaded out. Unless anyone knows off the top of their head.

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

No residual leak from the fixed rear main seal but notice this apparent engine mount bolt loose as I had dropped the underbelly plastics for my AT fluid check.

I need to look in FSM for torque specs as it was half threaded out. Unless anyone knows off the top of their head.
Not surprised after any major work by the dealer. You may have other bolts or nuts loose or missing but you just don't know yet. Hopefully the tech simply just forgot to tighten up the bolt, not because the tech was cross-threading the bolt and left it at the half way.

Not surprised after any major work by the dealer. You may have other bolts or nuts loose or missing but you just don't know yet. Hopefully the tech simply just forgot to tighten up the bolt, not because the tech was cross-threading the bolt and left it at the half way.

Fortunately not cross threaded. I tightened it up snug for now but trying to find torque specs in FSM.

Frankly not sure if this is an engine mount or not but it appears to be supporting something substantial. It is near the front transfer.

Looks like part of No.1 engine mount and need to torque to 41-50 ft-lb

I'm sure not a good day when this bolt had fallen out.

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-30%20at%206.09.54%20PM.jpg

Looks like part of No.1 engine mount and need to torque to 41-50 ft-lb

I'm sure not a good day when this bolt had fallen out.

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-30%20at%206.09.54%20PM.jpg
I believe the one next to your loose bolt with 104~120 ft-lbf torque carries the most load. I'd also check all related bolts just to make sure the tech actually applied proper torque to these bolts.

Back