Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

Rustproofing??????????? You really need to go somewhere else...

I'm in the process with mazda customer relation. Will see what's their response.
The affected area is completed clean. I'm afraid other dealership won't do anything until it reoccur again

I'm in the process with mazda customer relation. Will see what's their response.
The affected area is completed clean. I'm afraid other dealership won't do anything until it reoccur again
You should send your original oil leak pictures to CR rep at Mazda's Customer Experience Center. Tell them the "rust proofing residue" story and that excuse is not acceptable! At least Kedis82ZE8's dealer had put dye in the engine trying to find the source of the oil leak. You can also request Mazda sending out a field engineer to your dealer, or set up an appointment to meet with corporate regional service manager who is routinely visitsing their dealers. But I do believe madar is correct, go some other Mazda dealer with good reputation may be your better option.

Also looks like they used some kind of a pry bar to see what's going on instead of removing that flywheel cover...

I was just gonna state that as well about being pried.. here is one of my original pics for comparison:

IMG_6088.jpeg

attachment.php

Didn't notice it until you mentioned! That's ridiculous! Make sure sending these pictures to Mazda and demending the replacement of the damaged flywheel cover!

cuppagogo's before and after:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Kedis82ZE8's:
IMG_6089.jpeg

I sure did! Let's see how this turn out. Mazda customer relation will contact me tomorrow. I did not bring this matter to my dealer yet. Simply have no faith whatsoever. I hope the corporate level will step in and resolve this issue.

Also looks like they used some kind of a pry bar to see what's going on instead of removing that flywheel cover...
Didn't notice it until you mentioned! That's ridiculous! Make sure sending these pictures to Mazda and demending the replacement of the damaged flywheel cover!

cuppagogo's:
attachment.php

Kedis82ZE8's:
IMG_6089.jpeg

Fwiw, all 3 of the flywheel covers I've had across 2.0/2.5 engines were gapped like that. It doesn't mean they pryed it, and that vover doesn't seal any fluid.

No kidding. If it did seal fluid, how would that work? Lol
None of us would think the flywheel cover seals any oil or fluid. And there shouldn't have any oil or fluid in that area anyway! But cuppagogo's cover does look crooked comparing to Kedis82ZE8's, and cuppagogo's dealer did claim they "removed the starter and inspected the rear main seal and bell housing including engine oil pan rear sealing". I believe this flywheel cover should look like Kedis82ZE8's with no gap from factory, which prevents any foreign objects to get in for flywheel protection.

None of us would think the flywheel cover seals any oil or fluid. And there shouldn't have any oil or fluid in that area anyway! But cuppagogo's cover does look crooked comparing to Kedis82ZE8's, and cuppagogo's dealer did claim they "removed the starter and inspected the rear main seal and bell housing including engine oil pan rear sealing". I believe this flywheel cover should look like Kedis82ZE8's with no gap from factory, which prevents any foreign objects to get in for flywheel protection.

One would think/hope, but I am not sure. It likely doesn't matter to be honest.

His first picture shows the cover snug against the engine, others show separation, last one looks like maybe there's pry marks on the cover, may be an illusion. It's not there to prevent leaks, but it is there to protect the spinning parts behind it and keep dirt out.

My experience with it is that it's kind of like an old aluminum or hard foil baking pan. It pops into position depending on where you put pressure on it. In my own experience, its typically gapped. It's something I noticed very early when I started doing things under the car.

Maybe like suggested the cold winter temps brought it back. It's been about 4 months and 3500 miles since timing chain cover gasket was repaired. So this new seepage in original concern location occurred in that time. I know bad pics but wasn't going to pull the entire bottom cover off. This was from small the mid-access panel. I need to take back into dealer so they can put dye back in.

EDIT: Pics are rotated 90' to the left. I'll have to fix to them later but you get the point.

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Maybe like suggested the cold winter temps brought it back. It's been about 4 months and 3500 miles since timing chain cover gasket was repaired. So this new seepage in original concern location occurred in that time. I know bad pics but wasn't going to pull the entire bottom cover off. This was from small the mid-access panel. I need to take back into dealer so they can put dye back in.

EDIT: Pics are rotated 90' to the left. I'll have to fix to them later but you get the point.

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG

Oh wow, since my last cleaned out, technician decided not to replace the gasket because they could not identify the leak. So I brought my car to the other dealership with master technician to look at. They didn't put the dye but did use UV light to identify tranny fluid leak. They still cant conclude this was a leak. Since tranny fluid and engine fluid are all normal. The affected area is so well cleaned so I have to wait till it reoccur again.

Last edited:
I was doing an oil change today and thought it was a good time to reinspect the area. Of course temps are warming up again for us so it will probably go away after the next clean up and dye introduction. I'll probably take it back in within the next couple weeks.

I was doing an oil change today and thought it was a good time to reinspect the area. Of course temps are warming up again for us so it will probably go away after the next clean up and dye introduction. I'll probably take it back in within the next couple weeks.
From your very first post I thought the leak area is in flywheel area which means either engine rear end such as rear crankshaft main seal or transmission front end such as front input shaft seal was leaking. Oil pan gasket / seal can be the culprit too. I wasn't sure why your dealer thought the leak is from timing chain cover and decided to re-seal that part which is at engine front end. Anyway I was thinking all along that your small leak problem didn't get fixed properly by your dealer.

I was poking around the limited engine bottom area while changing oil last week but saw nothing about the oil seepage. Eventually I need to take the whole undercover down to check any sign of oil leakage throughly before my warranty expires! And I wonder these kind of problems can be covered under longer powertrain warranty?

Actually I have two different issues in thread. The leak I got fixed in November (11/16) was definitely from the timing chain area. It was draining down that area of engine on passenger side toward firewall. After that fix dry & normal.

I have high confidence this original issue will get fixed at some point during the warranty as I have no plans to let the issue go and will continue to take it in to dealer as needed. I don't think it is the oil pan seal though so either engine or AT.

You can get a pretty good view of things too just taking the front half of cover off. Far less screws. I find it easier to have up on my Rhino Ramps though and use an electric screwdriver... you will save lots of time.

Latest posts

Back