Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

The right rear leak that was repaired before is here.... it actually drains down some onto the rear of the oil pan. You can see a little bit of the residue here.

IMG_7671.jpg

Pulled the rear 2/3 cover off this morning just to get some current pics before I take in Monday. This is the middle leak and original issue. Remember there are two different leaks here.

They may want to do another dye test and that is fine... I want this engine dry as bone before powertrain warranty expires July 2019. I'm upping the priority to get this fixed now.

IMG_7679.jpg

IMG_7680.jpg

IMG_7682.jpg

IMG_7683.jpg

IMG_7684.jpg

IMG_7685.jpg

IMG_7686.jpg

So this is current diagnosis of the center leak. They opened case with Mazda as well.

“Found only assembly oil weeping from the bell housing. Contacting tech line, tech line states if oil is not clearly leaking, most likely cause would be excessive assembly oil used on torque converter being slung around inside bell housing. Used borescope in bell housing. Torque converter seal not leaking, rear main seal not leaking. No repair at this time.”

Service rep said to bring back just after next oil change and they will throw dye in and also do a visual inspection of what it looks like in January. I’ll be keeping an eye on it myself in that time as well. I think tech may have just looked at this core leak issue and didn't look at the one that was previously repaired on the right rear of motor. I'm gonna clean that one up and see how bad that one is weeping out.

Service rep said tech sprayed a good amount of cleaner up in inside in hope of getting any residual oil out of there. We'll see...I'm determined to get a final resolution on this now and dealership wants to work with me on it so I will give them the chance.

Last edited:
Honestly, stop looking at it unless it is dripping in your drive-way. It doesn't matter. You will drive yourself crazy with this kind of thing.

Honestly, stop looking at it unless it is dripping in your drive-way. It doesn't matter. You will drive yourself crazy with this kind of thing.

Right...let's wait until it's out of warranty and leaking a lot more so he can actually pay to have it fixed....after all, synthetic oil is cheap....(rolleyes)

So this is current diagnosis of the center leak. They opened case with Mazda as well.

“Found only assembly oil weeping from the bell housing. Contacting tech line, tech line states if oil is not clearly leaking, most likely cause would be excessive assembly oil used on torque converter being slung around inside bell housing. Used borescope in bell housing. Torque converter seal not leaking, rear main seal not leaking. No repair at this time.”

Service rep said to bring back just after next oil change and they will throw dye in and also do a visual inspection of what it looks like in January. I’ll be keeping an eye on it myself in that time as well. I think tech may have just looked at this core leak issue and didn't look at the one that was previously repaired on the right rear of motor. I'm gonna clean that one up and see how bad that one is weeping out.

Service rep said tech sprayed a good amount of cleaner up in inside in hope of getting any residual oil out of there. We'll see...I'm determined to get a final resolution on this now and dealership wants to work with me on it so I will give them the chance.
”Excessive assembly oil used on torque converter being slung around” after 4 years of driving? It simply can’t be true! This oil/fluid has to be coming from somewhere, but not from “assembly oil”!

Right...let's wait until it's out of warranty and leaking a lot more so he can actually pay to have it fixed....after all, synthetic oil is cheap....(rolleyes)
Yes Id try to get these oil leaks fixed under warranty.

Why do I have a feeling that many old-timers, if theyre still here, tend to have problems on their CX-5? (uhm)

I'm gonna get resolution to this one way or another. I'm gonna pull the cover off again next week to get a quick baseline of pics on the cleaned up area. I can't accept these leaks while under warranty or current mileage. This issue may result in a TSB.

That's what's going to happen, anyways. They will hem and haw and dick around like they have been, and then he can pay to replace a bunch of stuff and fix his non-issue later.

Or did I miss something and is he actually losing enough oil to register on the dip-stick or any in the drive way? If not, I'd let it be since they've already messed with it. The car will be dead and done before this kills it.

Yes I’d try to get these oil leaks fixed under warranty.

Why do I have a feeling that many old-timers, if they’re still here, tend to have problems on their CX-5? (uhm)

My CX5 remains free of any real issues thus far at least. That said, trade-in value is an accurate measure of how long a vehicle lasts (excluding exclusives, like a TT 300ZX or Turbo Supra). The CX5 has very low trade-in value. Issues are to be expected.

I'd much rather come out of warranty having a dry engine and all leaks resolved. Waiting for drips on the driveway?? You do realize they have to collect on the lower plastic covers first before they'll make it to the driveway, probably have to be something severe to do that, just throwing that scenario out there. Sounds to me that they didn't have proper adhesion on that first leak repair, maybe didn't clean all mating parts well enough. I've never had a Japanese car with any kind of engine oil leaks from covers. ( valve, oil pan, timing gear, etc.)

I'd much rather come out of warranty having a dry engine and all leaks resolved. Waiting for drips on the driveway?? You do realize they have to collect on the lower plastic covers first before they'll make it to the driveway, probably have to be something severe to do that, just throwing that scenario out there. Sounds to me that they didn't have proper adhesion on that first leak repair, maybe didn't clean all mating parts well enough. I've never had a Japanese car with any kind of engine oil leaks from covers. ( valve, oil pan, timing gear, etc.)

I nice thought, but often not possible. They aren't going to replace his engine and transmission for him, and those things sometimes just weep. I've played this game before...it's expensive and not very gratifying. Good luck!

Kedis, just out of curiosity, have you in fact seen oil on the inside of the lower plastic covers?

I nice thought, but often not possible. They aren't going to replace his engine and transmission for him, and those things sometimes just weep. I've played this game before...it's expensive and not very gratifying. Good luck!

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> You actually have a valid point. Some engines are prone to leak and that’s just the way they are. I had a ’97 Plymouth Voyager with a 3.0 Mitsubishi engine and it always leaked around the distributor area, and I had heard from numerous sources that that was just the way they were. So, when it came time to have the timing belt replaced, the dealer wanted to “resolve” these oil leaks also, so I let them. At issue was a 25 cent o-ring in the distributor which was replaced and started to leak in a few months. I called them on it and they said it wasn’t a covered part, I reminded them that they had a 12 month/12 thousand mile warranty on all parts replaced by them. They hemmed and hawed and finally replaced it, involved tearing down the front of the engine to get at this 0-ring. Thing started leaking again after a few months, which at this point they said that that was just how these engines were, which I already knew.
I don’t believe these Skyactive engines have this characteristic, been around a few of them in the 70 to 80k mile range and all were dry. Just my experience.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

⋯ I dont believe these Skyactive engines have this characteristic, been around a few of them in the 70 to 80k mile range and all were dry. Just my experience.
Well, seeing these examples from several CX-5s in this and other threads I can only hope youre right. Kedis82ZE8s SkyActiv engine underneath looks a lot worse than my 19-year-old、180K-mile 1998 Honda CR-V which has no oil seepage in any areas other than around the oil-drain plug. And remember not many people would take down the belly pan and check the oil/fluid seepage like Kedis82ZE8 did, hence Id bet therere a lot more of this small oil leak on SkyActiv engines but just the owners havent been aware. And if there's a TSB for it, it must be happened too many times.

The timing chain cover leak goes down the rear right side of motor and drips form on back of oil pan. The other center leak had dripped enough to leave a few drops on the lower plastic covers. This is an area most wouldn't see as it is not exposed during oil changes. I too have never had a Japanese car with any hint of weeping or leaks. It took around 130K miles and 18 years for the rear main seal on my old Explorer to start leaking a little bit. I can accept at that age and over 100k miles and just drop in a little extra oil from time to time. At this time this is not causing noticeable oil loss on dipstick.

EDIT: Let me correct that...except for my '84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo that ate a quart every 200 miles... serious leaks and worn valve guide seals...it was over 100k miles though.

Last edited:
The timing chain cover leak goes down the rear right side of motor and drips form on back of oil pan. The other center leak had dripped enough to leave a few drops on the lower plastic covers. This is an area most wouldn't see as it is not exposed during oil changes. I too have never had a Japanese car with any hint of weeping or leaks. It took around 130K miles and 18 years for the rear main seal on my old Explorer to start leaking a little bit. I can accept at that age and over 100k miles and just drop in a little extra oil from time to time. At this time this is not causing noticeable oil loss on dipstick.

EDIT: Let me correct that...except for my '84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo that ate a quart every 200 miles... serious leaks and worn valve guide seals...it was over 100k miles though.

May I ask how bad it was before the work was done on it? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Well, seeing these examples from several CX-5’s in this and other threads I can only hope you’re right. Kedis82ZE8’s SkyActiv engine underneath looks a lot worse than my 19-year-old、180K-mile 1998 Honda CR-V which has no oil seepage in any areas other than around the oil-drain plug. And remember not many people would take down the belly pan and check the oil/fluid seepage like Kedis82ZE8 did, hence I’d bet there’re a lot more of this small oil leak on SkyActiv engines but just the owners haven’t been aware. And if there's a TSB for it, it must be happened too many times.

I have not taken mine down. Until it drips on the floor, I really don't care/want to know about it.

May I ask how bad it was before the work was done on it? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

The right rear now seems to be leaking about the same as before the work was done last year. The center weep/leak has only been inspected at this point.

Last edited:
That is correct.. and I will see to it that both issues are fixed.

I simply will not tolerate an engine with less than 100k miles having weep/leak issues. Dealership is close to my job and easy to telework from there if need be.

Latest posts

Back