Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
Looks like I will paying the dealer a visit. I noticed some of this residue when I changed my front diff and cleaned it up as well. I thought somehow it was leftover from oil change. Apparently not. Nothing big enough to accumulate on the floor but you won't see it unless you drop the front under-shield. Not hard but just a lot of screws and fasteners. Sorry for big pics... may not be easy to see on phone.

Attachments

• MC-10111007-9999.pdf
    653.6 KB · Views: 74
  • MC-10169509-0001.pdf
    735.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Just trying to cover all the angles. It seems to be weeping from somewhere around that solid cover.

Crankshaft cover I guess...

EDIT: Pics in this thread look the same as mine

EDIT2: It was about the same as pics but there was some residue on the top of the front plastic splash shield when I changed diff fluid in January. It was solidly clean when that fluid was changed about 4K miles ago. I only removed the small cover to change oil a couple months back and didn't look further.

Last edited:
I also had an oil leak on my 2014 2.5. Dealer replaced the valve cover gasket, timing cover and oil pan. I don't know why they did the oil pan when it clearly wasn't leaking. Maybe to charge Mazda USA?

Thanks for info! .... leak is so minor I am going to wait until after Memorial Day weekend to schedule a visit. I will probably have to go out of my way insisting they put moly back in it. It only has about 2500 miles on current oil change.

Thanks for info! .... leak is so minor I am going to wait until after Memorial Day weekend to schedule a visit. I will probably have to go out of my way insisting they put moly back in it. It only has about 2500 miles on current oil change.

Who does the oil changes on this vehicle? If you do it, never mind. I was going to blame the oil change place...

All engines can leave a little oil mist at times. Some are really bad. My 2015 BMW X5 left oil mist EVERYWHERE. It covered the engine from top to bottom. It never dripped but the entire engine was coated in oil mist.

I remember someone here had a leaky PCV o-ring seal on the cam cover. He discovered it by removing the plastic engine shroud/cover. Easy to check and the oil could be leaking down from there to the underside of the engine.

All dry up on top.

I think it might be coming out of the hole that sits at the bottom of the cover.

This was solidly clean everywhere 4K miles ago after I cleaned it the first time. There was some accumulated oil in the top of the splash shield. I will keep you all posted on what gets replaced.

Last edited:
So this is between the engine and tranny?

Correct... hard to see if you don' t drop the under-shield as this area is mostly obstructed by oil pan. One might be able to see by just removing front fasteners on splash shield and shining flashlight back there though...

EDIT: This would not be easily seen with an oil change.

Last edited:
It looks fresh. Does it smell like gear oil?

Nevermind, its an AT. So it must be engine oil. Possible rear main seal. I've seen it happen on certain new vehicles. Sometimes it's residual from factory, but you've had the CX-5 for awhile and it was clear 4K miles ago.

Last edited:
I cleaned it up about 4K miles ago.. it looked similar at the time when I changed diff oil but thought it was just spilled oil from previous oil changes. The only other time I dropped the front splash shield was when vehicle was new to just look at things. It was clean at that time.

EDIT: I suppose this could be a small transmission leak as well.

Last edited:
Well if it makes you feel any better, I've seen a customer have an oil leak on his new car very similar to yours. After switching out parts and revisiting the dealer 3 times, Corporate finally decided to give him a new motor.

Hopefully it's nothing a simple fix can't solve. Good luck.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I've seen a customer have an oil leak on his new car very similar to yours. After switching out parts and revisiting the dealer 3 times, Corporate finally decided to give him a new motor.

Hopefully it's nothing a simple fix can't solve. Good luck.

Was that on another SkyActiv motor?

Was that on another SkyActiv motor?

It was not for a Mazda. It was for another make with a, coincidentally, DIG 4-cyl engine. Now Kedis, you seem like a responsible car owner. I would like to ask: do you fill your oil all the way to the full mark on the dip stick?

I did on first couple changes just below full mark... actually exactly on those changes. The last one I just did 5 quarts which still leaves it down a little bit from top mark.

EDIT: It will be kinda sad if filling to a point considered in the safe range is really an overfill condition and causes the rear main seal to blow out.

Last edited:
I did on first couple changes just below full mark... actually exactly on those changes. The last one I just did 5 quarts which still leaves it down a little bit from top mark.

EDIT: It will be kinda sad if filling to a point considered in the safe range is really an overfill condition and causes a rear main seal blowout.

Eh I doubt it. Just throwing out some thoughts. For something like this to happen so soon is odd. Is it at the dealer now?

Latest posts

Back