Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

I was just gonna state that as well about being pried.. here is one of my original pics for comparison:

IMG_6088.jpeg

attachment.php

Using these pics for reference, my tranny is clean as a whistle with no leaks after 65k+ miles. Could not find any weird inconsistent gaps.

Now need to inspect my Mazda6 before its warranty expires in like 3 years from now.

I still haven't taken it in. I do plan to in early May though when I have time and will report back. I was going to do a transmission fluid partial swap but just in case the leak was from that area I thought I would wait as it would essentially be a waste of the supplies I purchased.

Looks like it is going to be early June before I take in. I plan to schedule an appointment this week for after Memorial Day.

I dropped front again this morning to take some fresh pictures.

IMG_6931.JPG

IMG_6926.JPG

IMG_6928.JPG

IMG_6930.JPG

IMG_6928.JPG

IMG_6932.JPG

⋯ I dropped front again this morning to take some fresh pictures.
Unfortunately like I expected these oil leaks won't go away by itself unless you find the source of leak and fix it. Now your dealer should have no excuses but separate the engine and transmission to find where the leak is coming from. My guess is from transmission front input shaft seal. I really don't know if Mazda is willing to cover this kind of leak which could be expensive as they may choose to replace the whole transmission instead of taking the torque converter and transmission apart. Are you sure you've never heard any whining noise from your transmission?

Looks like it is going to be early June before I take in. I plan to schedule an appointment this week for after Memorial Day.

I dropped front again this morning to take some fresh pictures.

just my 2 cents, you probably don't want to tell dealers that you noticed the leak while you were servicing the front transfer case,

as soon as they hear that, they'll jump all over that and say you did something bad to car.........

just say you started noticing oil drops in your garage and wanted it checked out.

Oh no... I have just mentioned about noticing when changing the oil and filter. I am typically pretty tight lipped about other misc services I have done myself with dealers. I will say my Mazda dealer has been good to me so far but I have an inherent distrust of dealers. I've been doing some extensive maintenance on my GX (diff, brakes, TC, etc)... one of the Lexus service records mentions greasing the 6 driveline zerk fittings (two yoke and 4 spider). These things have never been touched and look to be fine (vehicle is really low mileage) but previous owner paid for a service that wasn't performed.

EDIT: For a while... call it paranoid..but have been burned too many times... I would put ink marks on parts that were gonna be replaced...to confirm work was done... for piece of mind. :)

Last edited:
Oh no... I have just mentioned about noticing when changing the oil and filter. I am typically pretty tight lipped about other misc services I have done myself with dealers. I will say my Mazda dealer has been good to me so far but I have an inherent distrust of dealers. I've been doing some extensive maintenance on my GX (diff, brakes, TC, etc)... one of the Lexus service records mentions greasing the 6 driveline zerk fittings (two yoke and 4 spider). These things have never been touched and look to be fine (vehicle is really low mileage) but previous owner paid for a service that wasn't performed.
I wish we can trust our dealers more. But unfortunately too many personal experiences that make us simply just can't!

Zerk fittings on drive line? Havn't seen that for a long time although I do have a grease gun hidden somewhere collecting dust in the garage. I guess that's your next maintenance item on your list for your new GX.

Zerk fittings on drive line? Havn't seen that for a long time although I do have a grease gun hidden somewhere collecting dust in the garage. I guess that's your next maintenance item on your list for your new GX.

Yeah... any of the Toyota/Lexus trucks or BOF SUVs have zerks on front and rear driveshafts. Nothing around the wheels though.

I could use standard Amsoil grease on the standard spider/u-joints. The two slide yokes I had to source this Mobilegrease apparently used in mines. It is Molybdenum-disulfide lithium base chassis grease. With high mileage of some of these rigs it is likely damning to any fitting claimed as grease-less on any vehicle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

71lZchz94YL._SL1500_.jpg

I dropped the covers again and original seepage seems to still be holding it's own... not really much worse than last pics.
Anyway... notice my other oil leak repaired by dealer last year has apparently occurred again.. this was the timing chain cover from this post. This was the leak on rear right side of engine.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...for-me-too-(&p=6477720&viewfull=1#post6477720

Need to find some time to drop it off at dealer.

This is same spot at time chain cover.

IMG_7099.JPG

A few from original area between transmission and engine.

IMG_7100.JPG

IMG_7101.JPG

IMG_7102.JPG

IMG_7103.JPG

IMG_7104.JPG

IMG_7105.JPG

-Kedis82ZE8. Have you thought about hitting it with a pressure washer to clean it up to see if it's still leaking after a few days?

I'm gonna let the dealer make note of both. I'd like them to do a dealer dye test again on original issue. Comparing pics between the old and new timing chain cover leak it appears it is coming from the same spot as before near the top area. I'll clean up if dealer doesn't.

So I am having a similar leak on my 2014 with 45K miles. I just bought it used and noticed some build up at the back of the plastic belly pan. I pulled the cover to check it out and saw what looked like a decent drip. Not enough to cover a driveway, but if I had taken a picture of the inside of the belly pan, you'd see all the residue. I sent this picture over to the dealer and was able to drop it off and pick up a loaner. It's still well within the factory drivetrain warranty, so I'm hoping that this can be taken care of without much fuss. That was yesterday around lunch and I've yet to hear back on it at the moment.

TzW5kxJ.jpg

Keep us posted on yours... I was gonna take mine in earlier but summer forest fires derailed everything....anyway... hope to get mine back into dealer by next month.

I dropped it off Monday around lunch and got a call Tuesday just before five. No real news, but they were giving an update to let me know that they had been looking at it, but unable to determine the source just yet. My picture is looking towards the back of the car and you can see where excess oil has gunked up all over the cross member just behind the engine and it's pretty wet just at the bottom point. So it's one of those leaks that is definitely there, but not immediately easy to spot.

Anyway, I might not hear anything for a couple of days. But they are definitely giving it proper attention and not blowing me off, so that's nice.

I dropped it off Monday around lunch and got a call Tuesday just before five. No real news, but they were giving an update to let me know that they had been looking at it, but unable to determine the source just yet. My picture is looking towards the back of the car and you can see where excess oil has gunked up all over the cross member just behind the engine and it's pretty wet just at the bottom point. So it's one of those leaks that is definitely there, but not immediately easy to spot.

Anyway, I might not hear anything for a couple of days. But they are definitely giving it proper attention and not blowing me off, so that's nice.
Most likely they'll put a dye in the engine and tell you to drive it for a few hundred miles

I was expecting that, but they seem to be inclined to hold on to it and find it themselves. Maybe they dumped dye in it and ran it for 30 minutes? I don't know. I guess I'll just try and enjoy this 2017 loaner CX-5. Overall pretty nice, but no CD player? I'm already a dinosaur at 35 years old.

I was expecting that, but they seem to be inclined to hold on to it and find it themselves. Maybe they dumped dye in it and ran it for 30 minutes? I don't know. I guess I'll just try and enjoy this 2017 loaner CX-5. Overall pretty nice, but no CD player? I'm already a dinosaur at 35 years old.
Usually takes longer than just 30 minutes for it to show up outside unless it's really bad, unless they're driving it themselves putting miles on. I had a 2017 loaner a few days ago, did not care for it. Ride wasn't as crisp and didn't seem to accelerate like my 2016. Nice interior, though. Quiet, comfortable. Still think the outside is ugly, my wife wouldn't even sit in it.

Well, as expected, it was not immediately apparent where the leak is/was. They called me around 4:45 yesterday to let me know that they had fully cleaned the engine and drove it a bit to see if they could produce a leak, but didn't find anything. However, they actually provide a free oil change after 5K miles (I bought it from the used lot of the group of dealers here) so they recommended that I come in at that time for the oil change and they will inspect again to see if it has shown up again. I still have lots of time and 15K miles left on the powertrain warranty, so if it should pop up I will be covered.

I was also pleasantly surprised that they did not charge me a dime for diagnostic time. The first service adviser I talked to said it would be 130 bucks. I went fully expecting to pay it because no actual problem was found and they did spend time on it as well as let me use a loaner car for four days. AND they washed the car for me. Did not expect that kind of service.

Back