Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

xzsqhbmqst6jbyef6xfe8.jpg

x9d3xwuid9x1ige4slp.jpg

x48b7u86e7ihi7b5s487u.jpg

xfyxpmdjvzmhap5ayyf.jpg

My 2015 Mazda 6 doing the same.....oil seepage from timing chain cover bolt, rocker cover, rear main seal....real frustrated

Wondering does it related to engine oil overfill? Not much , less than 500ml overfill in it from last service.

No, and I'd ignore it. My CX5 has done it for the last nearly 80K miles I bet, certainly the last 50K miles, during which I owned it. It's part of the construction (a flaw, if you will), and it's a capillary action type leak. It will never get worse, nor will it get better, unless they do a lot of mucking around in there, during which they are just as likely to cause an issue as to fix this (non) issue. You aren't eating off of the thing, and it's not an heirloom. Don't stress over it.

No, because I am in Australia, that TSB is stated from Mazda North America, they wouldnt accept that due to the Mazda 6s in AU and USA are probably made by different countries.(boom06)
Although the TSB posted here is from Mazda North American Operations, many times the TSB is applicable to worldwide, especially US Mazda6 is also assembled in Japan like Australia's.

Any chance your VIN falls in the range specified in the TSB:

"2014-2017 Mazda6 with VINS lower than JM1GL******100801 (produced before July 4, 2016)"

Wondering does the dealerships has such "formal procedure" to deal with gasket leakage; to clean it first what so ever to see if the leakage reoccur?

If not then they can get rid of the warranty repair?
In Kedis82ZE8's case his Mazda dealer cleaned up the area and put dye in the oil. They recheck the area later and verified the leak.

You can always contact Mazdx Australia to resolve the issue.

Unless I found this oil leak problem after my warranty expired, I certainly would pursue a fix under warranty
especially there's a TSB!

I need to drop my splash shield or endoscope the area again. I got done swapping my snow tires and noticed the oil pan did have what appeared to be new RTV. We'll see... I might look this weekend. Hopefully this is fix but still need to address the upper cam chain cover one. I have some oil there even after cleaning up with brake cleaner.

On an unrelated note did a stupid one and broke one the custom 3D printed center caps that rsvinylgraphics made for me for my black steelies snow tire rims. I reached out to him and he is gonna print me another set for a very reasonable fee.

I looked through the thread. Is there a central place to find these TSB's? Can someone repost the link? I'm a tool and can't find it.

I have same oil leak issue since last year. Had it monitor for quite some time. Leak didnt get worse, but its there. After several complain,
Dealer finally decide to fix the rear main seal before my warranty runs out.
Will get the car back tomorrow they are also going to replace two of my door lock actuator since they constantly making weird noise especially when its cold out.
Side note, my front shock boots kept getting torn apart, I don't take the car off roading and it happen twice already. luckily its also cover under warranty. Anyone experience same issue?

View attachment 215784
View attachment 215785
View attachment 215782
View attachment 215786
View attachment 215783

Follow up on the leak issue. Today my dealer discover darker fluid. They decided to took out the transmission to get further investigation. I'm glad its still cover by the powertrain warranty. They gave me 2017 mazda 3 as a loaner. Will update in few days when i hear back from them.

cuppagogo: Thanks!

I think I will drop my splash shield tomorrow and look at mine to see if the oil pan work fixed it or not. If I see anything would definitely think transmission as well.

I dropped it this morning and did notice some oil residue. I cleaned off with brake cleaner so I have a baseline and will drop in a month. If there at that time off to the dealer.

I'd post pics but am seeing a "null" error during upload of files in settings area where you manage files. Same on my Mac and PC with multiple browsers.

EDIT: Found a workaround for the current image upload issue.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I dropped it this morning and did notice some oil residue. I cleaned off with brake cleaner so I have a baseline and will drop in a month. If there at that time off to the dealer.

I'd post pics but am seeing a "null" error during upload of files in settings area where you manage files. Same on my Mac and PC with multiple browsers.
i've lost track of your oil-leak fixes as it has been done several times. I feel sorry for you as you should spend time enjoying spring weather, not wast time checking oil leaks on a relative new vehicle. I believe your oil leak is still there, as when your dealer re-sealed the oil pan, they would clean the area. It seems to be the ATF leak after all from beginnng, in addition to the front timing chain cover leak.

I am certain is still there as well. Oh well.. it's a torrential downpour here today so not a biggie in the dry garage :)

At this point I think they are going to need to need to pull motor and transmission. It obviously wasn't the oil pan or residual assembly grease. I do wonder how many people actually have this same issue occurring. The underbody splash shields can conceal a lot.

At this point I think they are going to need to need to pull motor and transmission. It obviously wasn't the oil pan or residual assembly grease. I do wonder how many people actually have this same issue occurring. The underbody splash shields can conceal a lot.
Comparing pictures of your leak posted today and those you posted on 5/26/2016 in the post #1, they look exactly the same. I still believe it's coming from input shaft seal of your transmission like I suspected back then.

Thanks! A leaking engine is one thing... a leaking transmission is another as it isn't exactly the easiest area & method to check fluid level since based on temp.

Wondering does the dealerships has such "formal procedure" to deal with gasket leakage; to clean it first what so ever to see if the leakage reoccur?

If not then they can get rid of the warranty repair?
My dealers formal procedure was looking at it, saying "yep, it leaks", and then fixing it. I guess that's why they're gold cup rated many times.

So my dealer called. They said its the torque converter seal that's causing the leak. seems like they are waiting for the parts to have it replace.

Thank you!!!! I wonder if this requires a drain of AT fluid?
Yes. During routine ATF drain-and-fill, half of the ATF can't get out is mostly staying in the torque converter. I wonder if Mazda is going to replace the whole transmission, or just replace torque convertor/input shaft seal? Hope they have "improved" seal available for the service. ;)

cuppagogo: Once you get your car back from repair can you post any part numbers that show up on the work order? I guess I'm glad I haven't done my partial AT fluid swap yet.

cuppagogo: Once you get your car back from repair can you post any part numbers that show up on the work order? I guess I'm glad I haven't done my partial AT fluid swap yet.
When I took my CX-5 to my Mazda dealer for last-chance warranty service, I had talked to a master mechanic on several issues about some TSB repairs such as getting revised rear brake calipers. Although the transmission of my CX-5 doesn't have issues (yet), I was concerned about many reports on failed transmissions from 2016 CX-5. He said they have replaced plenty. I asked him about what was the problem and he said Mazda North American Operations never let them take apart the transmission and replace any internal parts. And MNAO don't even tell them about the cause of failure on transmission. The only job for the dealer is to replace the whole unit. That's why I believe in cuppagogo's case his Mazda dealer would replace the whole transmission, not just a front input shaft / torque converter seal.

BTW, according to the master mechanic of my dealer, the replacement transmissions mostly are a rebuild. He only saw several brand-new transmissions for replacement only because MNAO had run out of the rebuilds.

Back