Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

Replacing the entire transmission makes business sense due to reduced labor. Most of the removed transmissions get rebuilt and reinstalled along the way.

I believe Mazda corporation is paying the dealer for warranty repair. I don’t believe the whole transmission is getting replace. But I could be wrong. I’m going for a business trip, won’t be able to pick up my vehicle after the 25th.

Got confirmed, they are just replacing the gasket as per Mazda Canada.
Thanks for the info. Please post the parts name/numbers replaced in your transmission repair after you pick up the CX-5. These parts should be listed in your invoice.

hey guys, just pick up my car today. here the work order in case anyone need it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x24fjjkw1m6ipw4/IMG_6230.jpg?dl=0
RsCxzGZHJEAwL38_hkuFAXpfTlUi81bki1wRy3N_F24
Thanks for posting your work order. Apparently your Mazda dealer has done a good job to diagnose the oil leak issue. No dyes, no excuses, just go ahead fixing the leak. Kedis82ZE8's Mazda dealer should have replaced these torque converter seals FZ01-19-241 and FZ01-19-242 for him long ago!

Looks like effectively a full fluid swap too with 12 quarts used.
Yep, once the torque converter is out, those we can't get during ATF drain-and-fill can be out from torque converter. But I'm surprised this supposedly small TC in SkyActiv-Drive transmission still keeps more than half of the ATF total capacity in there!

cuppagogo is in Canada and Mazda Canada may have different policy on how far the Mazda dealer can do on transmission. I really doubt Mazda North American Operations will let US Mazda dealers separate torque converter out from transmission based on the conversation with a master tech at my Mazda dealer. That's why I believe your dealer was having a hard time to make decision of fixing your transmission leak because giving you a new (actually a rebuild) transmission is too costly just for some ATF leaks. But I could be wrong.

Another thing which caught my attention is the description on the work order:

"Removed transmission and torque converter, found converter seal area is leaking and there are what look like micro cracks around seal"

This means the TC seals are in poor quality and their life cycle is short. Transmission is working in a sealed environment and there's no maintenance required according to Mazda. In other words these failed TC seals have nothing to do with customers but the Mazda to blame. I suspect a batch of poor-quality TC seals got introduced into the assembly line, and I believe this problem is more wide spread. Unfortunately most CX-5 owners won't bother to take under-shield down and detect the ATF leaks in the area.

And Kedis82ZE8, I just noticed the rear main bearing seal on cuppagogo's CX-5 was also replaced before his torque converter seal replacement. Judging from the pictures he posted the leak looks very similar to yours. You should bring up both issues to your dealer based on cuppagogo's experience, as you could have the worst case scenario that both rear main bearing seal and TC seals are leaking.

I have same oil leak issue since last year. Had it monitor for quite some time. Leak didnt get worse, but its there. After several complain,
Dealer finally decide to fix the rear main seal before my warranty runs out.
Will get the car back tomorrow they are also going to replace two of my door lock actuator since they constantly making weird noise especially when its cold out.
Side note, my front shock boots kept getting torn apart, I don't take the car off roading and it happen twice already. luckily its also cover under warranty. Anyone experience same issue?

attachment.php

View attachment 215784
attachment.php

View attachment 215785
attachment.php

View attachment 215782
attachment.php

View attachment 215786
attachment.php

View attachment 215783

I'll bring it up when I take it back in next month. I agree.... I'm sure more have this even in minor form but it never amounts to enough to drop through the splash shield. For those that don't know that splash shield wouldn't be dropped for an oil change. My powertrain warranty expires in July 2019.

Well, it's been 2 years for both of us. I never even checked to see if mine leaks. You've had hell with it. Both of our vehicles run fine without adding oil in between changes. I'm happy. You're frustrated. My advice is...chill.

Well, it's been 2 years for both of us. I never even checked to see if mine leaks. You've had hell with it. Both of our vehicles run fine without adding oil in between changes. I'm happy. You're frustrated. My advice is...chill.

yeah...and let's hope it doesn't get worse after warranty. Like you said, you never checked yours so you don't know what kind of a mess is under there. Maybe oil slinging all around the place eventually winding up on your belts or making a mess somewhere else, it really doesn't take much. Really bad advice.

yeah...and let's hope it doesn't get worse after warranty. Like you said, you never checked yours so you don't know what kind of a mess is under there. Maybe oil slinging all around the place eventually winding up on your belts or making a mess somewhere else, it really doesn't take much. Really bad advice.

Well, I'm at 80k miles and it runs like a top, so...we will see! If I'm wrong, it's just a car, whatever. If I'm right, I sure saved myself a lot of angst it seems

The next 449 days will be used to ensure all things are sealed up before I take on full mechanical liability of the vehicle.

Yeah.... I bought in July of 2014... 5/60 powertrain will expire on 7/20/2019. I have shy of 42k miles right now.

Old age gonna get it before anything else at that rate. Gonna have a gray muzzle and groaning from sore and worn out suspension far before it racks up any miles.

Old age gonna get it before anything else at that rate. Gonna have a gray muzzle and groaning from sore and worn out suspension far before it racks up any miles.

I already have that with a front bushing groan up in the front left. There is a TSB but I'm past 3/36 so will let it be. If I have a warranty I use it. If this rig already had 100k miles on it I would probably care less.... at 40K miles and up to three leaks/weeps (one cam cover, either engine/AT or both on the bottom) not acceptable to me. It took nearly 15 years and 120k miles for my rear main seal to start seeping on my old 5.0L '96 Explorer. Otherwise everything else was dry.

I already have that with a front bushing groan up in the front left. There is a TSB but I'm past 3/36 so will let it be. If I have a warranty I use it. If this rig already had 100k miles on it I would probably care less.... at 40K miles and up to three leaks/weeps (one cam cover, either engine/AT or both on the bottom) not acceptable to me. It took nearly 15 years and 120k miles for my rear main seal to start seeping on my old 5.0L '96 Explorer. Otherwise everything else was dry.
I agree with you. On my 180,878-mile 1998 Honda CR-V the engine / transaxle area looks better than yours with only some minor oil seepages around the oil pan gasket. We should take care of these small seepages if we still have warranty. Unobtanium's CX-5 has no warranty now and he should just ignore these issues as those fixes however minor usually are very expensive.

Back