Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

Update? I'm intrigued. I've never seen a dealer take 2 years to fix a leak/weep issue. First post was May 2016. Like someone else said, the dealer is going to dick around and not really do anything.

Now they are doing the oil pan gasket? Sounds like they are avoiding pulling your motor. Having worked at a Mazda dealer, I'd push the issue with your service adviser. IMHO of course.

My motor has been leaking for the same 2 years, never worse, never better, never a drip under the car...and ive done nothing and am loving life.

A study in contrast.

My motor has been leaking for the same 2 years, never worse, never better, never a drip under the car...and ive done nothing and am loving life.

A study in contrast.

You keep saying this...plastic panels under the car will catch anything before it gets to the ground.

This should make inspection easier without having to drop anything or just open the oil filter door. So far happy with the way this one works. I have an older one but it is pretty short. $25 and connects to your phone via Wifi.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

s-l1600.jpg

xzsqhbmqst6jbyef6xfe8.jpg

x9d3xwuid9x1ige4slp.jpg

x48b7u86e7ihi7b5s487u.jpg

xfyxpmdjvzmhap5ayyf.jpg

My 2015 Mazda 6 doing the same.....oil seepage from timing chain cover bolt, rocker cover, rear main seal....real frustrated

Wondering does it related to engine oil overfill? Not much , less than 500ml overfill in it from last service.

Last edited:
Havent visit the dealership yet, oil seepage from timing chain cover bolt, rear main seal and rocker cover, attached some photo but dont know why it doesnt appear...

Wondering if the oil seepage related to engine oil overfill? just 3-400 ml

Havent visit the dealership yet, oil seepage from timing chain cover bolt, rear main seal and rocker cover, attached some photo but dont know why it doesnt appear...

Wondering if the oil seepage related to engine oil overfill? just 3-400 ml
We can see your pictures, and they look like typical oil seepage problem from timing chain cover. According to Mazda's TSP 01-005/17 mentioned in post #162:

"This may be caused by oil escaping from a fine clearance created at the sealant applied to joint (A) between the cylinder block (B) and head (C) when the engine was pressurized during leak testing on the engine assembly line."

So it definitely has nothing to do with your recent engine oil overfill, it was some screw-ups applying RTV seal during engine assembly.

I suspect this's a more wise-spread problem and that's why there's a TSB. But most CX-5 or SkyActiv-G owners don't check oil leaks in these area, not to mention in some case you have to take belly-pan down underneath to see these leaks.

The other thing is this problem seems not easy to fix as Kedis82ZE8 have found out. His CX-5 developed same leaks again after dealer's warranty service.

Thanks for the reply

This is the timing chain cover bolt leakage I am talking about

xeml446l3rx4uk48dwq5y.jpg

Seems it is not the A nor B area in that TSB? Not too sure

No but it is highlighted as one of the areas that must be sealed on assembly. The dealer will sort it out for you.

Sent the car to the dealership today for the whole day, from 9am to 4pm, and they spent like 10 mins to have a glance under the hood after I arrived to pick up the car and they form the conclusion: "Dont worry those are only assembly grease, not oil leak"

I was thinking WTF....and asked them it is a 2015 model with 30,000kms, how possible the assembly grease only appear now but not earlier, they cant explain that but insist that it was the opinion from their head of mechanic team. Well I dont know what to say to them. (mad)(mad)(mad)

And they suggested to clean the stain and monitor it, I agreed that, only 4 months warranty left, wish the leakage can appear again before warranty ends.

Sent the car to the dealership today for the whole day, from 9am to 4pm, and they spent like 10 mins to have a glance under the hood after I arrived to pick up the car and they form the conclusion: "Dont worry those are only assembly grease, not oil leak"

I was thinking WTF....and asked them it is a 2015 model with 30,000kms, how possible the assembly grease only appear now but not earlier, they cant explain that but insist that it was the opinion from their head of mechanic team. Well I dont know what to say to them. (mad)(mad)(mad)

And they suggested to clean the stain and monitor it, I agreed that, only 4 months warranty left, wish the leakage can appear again before warranty ends.
Did you show them the TSB and this thread?

Assembly grease near the gasket mating surfaces from the factory?? I wouldn't clean it, take more pictures and if the stain grows ask them where the "grease" is coming from?? That being said I would probably just go to another dealer.

Last edited:
Did you show them the TSB and this thread?

No, because I am in Australia, that TSB is stated from Mazda North America, they wouldnt accept that due to the Mazda 6s in AU and USA are probably made by different countries.(boom06)

Assembly grease near the gasket mating surfaces from the factory?? I wouldn't clean it, take more pictures and if the stain grows ask them where the "grease" is coming from?? That being said I would probably just go to another dealer.

Wondering does the dealerships has such "formal procedure" to deal with gasket leakage; to clean it first what so ever to see if the leakage reoccur?

If not then they can get rid of the warranty repair?

Back