Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

Going to change the CX-5 oil next weekend and then get appt scheduled with my dealer so they can drop the dye in. They wanted to do after an oil change to get the longest duration in to determine source.

Yep, just discovered some wet oil seepage on the timing chain cover area myself. Just got a quick peek tonight while checking the oil. I have a whole whopping 13500 miles on it. Most disappointing.

Last edited:
Yep, just discovered some wet oil seepage on the timing chain cover area myself. Just got a quick peek tonight while checking the oil. I have a whole whopping 13500 miles on it. Most disappointing.
Apparently thiss a common problem from SA-G hence theres a TSB for it. But it seems Mazda hasnt figured out how to effectively prevent the oil seepage on timing chain cover, and it happens on a fairly new 2016.5 CX-5 with only 13,500 miles!

I took a little brake cleaner to whatever residue was left on both leaks. I needed another visible baseline before the dye goes in.

Seems to be leaking onto the cover, not from it. Anyway, tried getting a picture from the top, which is where I view the problem from, but it's just too crowded in there. Hello, service department....

Seems to be leaking onto the cover, not from it. Anyway, tried getting a picture from the top, which is where I view the problem from, but it's just too crowded in there. Hello, service department....
Or you may have to take the whole undercover down like Kedis82ZE8 did to have a better picture of where the leak is actually coming from. Not a job I want to do at this time of the year, I know. :(

Or you may have to take the whole undercover down like Kedis82ZE8 did to have a better picture of where the leak is actually coming from. Not a job I want to do at this time of the year, I know. :(

Nah, removing bottom covers are not my problem right now, it's Mazdas. I have an appointment on Thursday I guess to get my oil dyed. I'm thinking the severe cold snap we had the last 3 weeks might have something to do with it. Never had a Japanese car have an engine cover leak on me until now, and this is my 5th one. Looks like the TSB is describing what I'm seeing after all.

Last edited:
Nah, removing bottom covers are not my problem right now, it's Mazdas. I have an appointment on Thursday I guess to get my oil dyed. I'm thinking the severe cold snap we had the last 3 weeks might have something to do with it. Never had a Japanese car have an engine cover leak on me until now, and this is my 5th one. Looks like the TSB is describing what I'm seeing after all.
So print TSB or show the TSB to your service advisor when you visit your Mazda dealer. This will help him/her easily to locate correct TSB fixing your problem in a right way.

So print TSB or show the TSB to your service advisor when you visit your Mazda dealer. This will help him/her easily to locate correct TSB fixing your problem in a right way.

My dealer seems to be on top of all the latest TSBs, but good idea anyway.

74, Xxx on mine. Still leaks from there just like 50k miles ago. It's just part o the nature of the beast. I've not worried except to ask once about it after reading the tsb. You will note it's a wicking issue, and it's not going to get worse. I'd motor on , or your cx5 experience will continue to suck.

74, Xxx on mine. Still leaks from there just like 50k miles ago. It's just part o the nature of the beast. I've not worried except to ask once about it after reading the tsb. You will note it's a wicking issue, and it's not going to get worse. I'd motor on , or your cx5 experience will continue to suck.

On the contrary, I like the vehicle quite a bit and I don't think it sucks. My vehicle is in the shop right know. They said oil was seeping from one of the timing cover bolts and will do a reseal tomorrow. I'm quite surprised at this, I thought I'd be getting dye in the oil and have to come back. Meanwhile, I'm in another 2017 cx5 loaner reinforcing my dislike for that model year.

Last edited:
What balanced my heart attack worries owning a VW was a dealership on top of TSBs.

I really can't say enough about this dealership, always on top of things and making things right by me. North Penn Mazda in Colmar, Pa. Gold Cup dealership quite a few times.

On the contrary, I like the vehicle quite a bit and I don't think it sucks. My vehicle is in the shop right know. They said oil was seeping from one of the timing cover bolts and will do a reseal tomorrow. I'm quite surprised at this, I thought I'd be getting dye in the oil and have to come back. Meanwhile, I'm in another 2017 cx5 loaner reinforcing my dislike for that model year.
I thought the TSB gives a proper procedure to fix the timing chain cover leaks as Mazda seems to figure out why it happens that some missteps of sealing applied in bolt areas during engine assembly (thats why like Kedis82ZE8 Id get a ATF pan gasket instead of gasket maker when its time to drop the pan)? Your dealer knows the TSB, and apparently youre not the first one they see this problem, hence theres no dye needed. Youd hope the tech can do the job right at the first time according to the TSB, and the leak wont happen again like Kedis82ZE8s situation. That would be frustrating!

Like you I definitely prefer the look of Gen-1 CX-5, especially the one with horizontal bar grille on 2016(.5) MY. We plan to get a 2018 CX-5 originally even though I dislike the look. But the surprising cylinder deactivation thing may force us to get a Lexus RX 350 instead which is much more uglier!

I thought the TSB gives a proper procedure to fix the timing chain cover leaks as Mazda seems to figure out why it happens that some missteps of sealing applied in bolt areas during engine assembly (that’s why like Kedis82ZE8 I’d get a ATF pan gasket instead of “gasket maker” when it’s time to drop the pan)? Your dealer knows the TSB, and apparently you’re not the first one they see this problem, hence there’s no dye needed. You’d hope the tech can do the job right at the first time according to the TSB, and the leak won’t happen again like Kedis82ZE8‘s situation. That would be frustrating!

Like you I definitely prefer the look of Gen-1 CX-5, especially the one with horizontal bar grille on 2016(.5) MY. We plan to get a 2018 CX-5 originally even though I dislike the look. But the surprising cylinder deactivation thing may force us to get a Lexus RX 350 instead which is much more uglier!

As much as I don't like the looks of the '17, I dislike what other manufactures have to offer even more. It actually all depends on the wife. I could live with the newer look. I feel cylinder deactivation problems won't show up for another 2 or 3 years, so no one really knows. Mazda did a great job coming up with Skyactive so maybe they made cylinder deactivation a bit more tolerable.

Update? I'm intrigued. I've never seen a dealer take 2 years to fix a leak/weep issue. First post was May 2016. Like someone else said, the dealer is going to dick around and not really do anything.

Now they are doing the oil pan gasket? Sounds like they are avoiding pulling your motor. Having worked at a Mazda dealer, I'd push the issue with your service adviser. IMHO of course.

Back