'16 CX-5 Oil Change Reminder (Infotainment settings)

jmettee

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT
2016 CX-5 GT with the infotainment system, we've had it for 1 year & have almost 20k miles on it.

Factory setting for oil change was by mileage. At the first oil change (~5000 miles) at the dealer, I reset the oil change monitor before leaving the dealership parking lot & then set the system to Flexible so that it calculated based on speed, type of driving ,etc. A couple months after the oil change, the dash started showing "Change Oil", but when I checked the Maintenance in the infotainment system, it showed we still had 70% oil life left. I ended up changing the oil for the 2nd time at 11k miles, & again made sure I reset the monitor. The next week, the "Change Oil" notification came up on the dash.

Took it to the dealer, & they changed to Mileage-based, turned the mileage interval down to 0, then back to Flexible & reset the system. The car was fine for a few months, but came on again with 60% oil life shown. The mileage was at about 18k (~7k miles on the oil), so I changed the oil & reset the system again.

And.....a few days later, "Change Oil" came up again. This time, I changed to mileage interval, turned the interval up to 50k miles, then changed back to Flexible & reset the system.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I expect the Oil Change notification to come up when the oil life is around 20-30%, not 70-80%. Perhaps there is still a mileage interval built into the system so that no matter what the oil life % is, it will trigger at a mileage. But it still doesn't make sense that it comes up after changing the oil & resetting everything.

The dealer says no one has had complaints or issues with this. So I turn to the internet to see if anyone else has issues.

Justin

Yes, I have had problems with the oil life monitor also. I have asked the service department to reset with each change, but they can't seem to reset it properly. I have switched back and forth from mileage based to flexible. I prefer the flexible monitor, but have to wonder how accurate it is based on the oil change light coming off and on randomly...

Those Mazda dealers are clueless on flexible maintenance schedule for oil change. I started to use Schedule 1 Flexible Maintenance for oil change since our CX-5 was new and I had problem on "Oil change due" message popping up randomly.

Oil%252520Change%252520Due_02_20151215.jpg

But I had PCM software updated according the following TSB and it seems fixed the problem:
http://oemdtc.com/19553/engine-oil-flexible-maintenance-does-not-work-2014-2016-mazda-vehiclesAnd in case the TSB link is not working:

ENGINE OIL FLEXIBLE MAINTENANCE DOES NOT WORK 2014-2016 Mazda Vehicles

Make sure print this TSB out to show your dealer. Here is full TSB text in case the TSB link is broken:

http://oemdtc.com/19553/engine-oil-flexible-maintenance-does-not-work-2014-2016-mazda

ENGINE OIL FLEXIBLE MAINTENANCE DOES NOT WORK 2014-2016 Mazda
By oemdtc On August 10, 2015October 18, 2015

MULTI-MODEL ENGINE OIL FLEXIBLE MAINTENANCE DOES NOT WORK

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2014-2015 Mazda3 vehicles (Japan built) with VINs lower than JM1BM267077 (produced before March 30, 2015)

2014-2015 Mazda3 vehicles (Mexico built) with VINs lower than 3MZBM207478 (produced before April 1, 2015)

2016 Mazda6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1GJ425952 (produced before April 8, 2015)

2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE656820 (produced before April 8, 2015)

COMPLAINT:

Some customer using Flexible setting for Oil Change in the maintenance monitor may notice that the oil change due notification will not work because of improper control logic of the PCM. This TSB is applicable for the following cases.

The oil change due notification does not come on, even after mileage exceeded 10,000 miles.
Oil life in the center display is still less than 40% even though the mileage exceeded 7,000 miles.

To display Flexible setting and Oil life on the center screen, select the Applications screen, Maintenance, then Oil Change tab. For complete details, refer to the MAINTENANCE MONITOR OPERATION PROCEDURE in the Workshop Manual.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Reboot the IDS to clear memory before reprogramming.

2. Using IDS 96.01 or later software, reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration (refer to Calibration Information table) by following the Module Reprogramming procedure.

NOTE:
Verify the current PCM file name in the vehicle by the log view screen. If it is the same as found in the chart below (or later), it is not necessary to reprogram the PCM.
Always update the IDS tool first, then follow the on-screen instructions to download the calibration file for PCM reprogramming.
Refer to Service Caution for reprogramming on MS3 IDS Page.
After reprogramming, verify the file name matches with the chart below.

NOTE:
It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during PCM reprogramming when the IDS screen prompts you to do so. You may accidentally stop power to one of the PCM terminals and cause the PCM to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during the IDS reprogramming procedure.
IDS shows the calibration part numbers after programming the PCM.
Please be aware that PCM calibration part numbers and file names listed in any Service Bulletin may change due to future releases of IDS software, and additional revisions made to those calibrations for service related concerns.
When reprogramming a PCM, IDS will always display the latest calibration P/N available for that vehicle. If any calibration has been revised/updated to contain new information for a new service concern/issue, it will also contain all previously released calibrations.
Start/Stop button vehicles only: DO NOT press the start/stop button during the reprogramming process.
When performing this procedure, we recommend using the Power Supply mode in the Battery Management System to keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If a different charger is used, make sure it does not exceed 20 AMPS. If it exceeds 20 AMPS, it could damage the VCM.

3. After performing the PCM reprogramming procedure, clear DTCs.

4. After clearing DTCs, start the engine and confirm that no warning lights stay on.

NOTE:
If any DTCs should remain after performing DTC erase, diagnose the DTCs using MS3 online instructions or Workshop Manual section 01-02.
After PCM reprogramming, it is no longer necessary to road test the vehicle to relearn KAM (Keep Alive Memory).

CALIBRATION INFORMATION

2014-2015 Mazda3 (Mexico built) for VINs starting with 3MZ

Emissions Transmission File Name Note
Calif (PZEV) M/T PELG-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PELH-188K2-C Denso
A/T PELE-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PELF-188K2-C Denso
Calif (ULEV) M/T PEDG-188K2-D Mitsubishi
PEDL-188K2-D Denso
A/T PEDH-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PEDM-188K2-C Denso
Fed M/T PEDJ-188K2-D Mitsubishi
PEDN-188K2-D Denso
A/T PEDK-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PEDP-188K2-C Denso

2014-2015 Mazda3 (Japan built) for VINs starting with JM1

Engine Emissions Transmission File Name Note
2.0L Calif (PZEV) M/T PELC-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PELD-188K2-C Denso
A/T PELA-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PELB-188K2-C Denso
Calif (ULEV) M/T PE18-188K2-E Mitsubishi
PEAA-188K2-E Denso
A/T PE19-188K2-D Mitsubishi
PEAB-188K2-D Denso
Fed M/T PE5J-188K2-E Mitsubishi
PEAC-188K2-E Denso
A/T PE5K-188K2-D Mitsubishi
PEAD-188K2-D Denso
2.5L Calif (PZEV) A/T PY08-188K2-D Mitsubishi
PY2L-188K2-D Denso
PY2P-188K2-F w/ i-ELOOP, Mitsubishi
PYFG-188K2-A w/ i-ELOOP, Denso
PY2S-188K2-F w/ i-ELOOP, Mitsubishi
PYFJ-188K2-A w/ i-ELOOP, Denso
Calif (ULEV) M/T PYBE-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PYBF-188K2-C Denso
Fed M/T PYBG-188K2-B Mitsubishi
PYBH-188K2-B Denso
A/T PY2J-188K2-D Mitsubishi
PY2N-188K2-D Denso
PY2R-188K2-F w/ i-ELOOP, Mitsubishi
PYFH-188K2-A w/ i-ELOOP, Denso
PY2T-188K2-F w/ i-ELOOP, Mitsubishi
PYFK-188K2-A w/ i-ELOOP, Denso

2016 Mazda6

Emissions Transmission File Name Note
Calif (PZEV) M/T PY9S-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PY9T-188K2-C Denso
A/T PY9V-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PY9W-188K2-C Denso
PY9X-188K2-C w/ i-ELOOP, Mitsubishi
PYAA-188K2-C w/ i-ELOOP, Denso
Fed M/T PYAB-188K2-B Mitsubishi
PYAC-188K2-B Denso
A/T PYAD-188K2-B Mitsubishi
PYAE-188K2-B Denso
PYAF-188K2-B w/ i-ELOOP, Mitsubishi
PYAG-188K2-B w/ i-ELOOP, Denso

2016 CX-5

Engine Emissions Transmission Drive File Name Note
2.0L Calif M/T 2WD PS32-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PS39-188K2-C Denso
A/T 2WD PS33-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PS40-188K2-C Denso
4WD PS34-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PS41-188K2-C Denso
Fed M/T 2WD PS35-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PS42-188K2-C Denso
A/T 2WD PS36-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PS43-188K2-C Denso
4WD PS37-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PS44-188K2-C Denso
2.5L Calif A/T 2WD PYAJ-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PYAR-188K2-C Denso
4WD PYAK-188K2-B Mitsubishi
PYAS-188K2-B Denso
Fed A/T 2WD PYAL-188K2-B Mitsubishi
PYAT-188K2-B Denso
4WD PYAM-188K2-C Mitsubishi
PYAV-188K2-C Denso

NOTE: It is not necessary to order a PCM part for this repair procedure.
Approved J2534 Device with Mazda J2534 Software FMP & MMP

Mazda uses a very similar program to FMP, named MMP, MMP allows for reprogramming of PCMs only, no body modules.

The security information is separate from the programming subscription and you must email information to Mazda for the Immobilizer/PATS codes.

Some reflashes require access to TSBs, and they are not included in the programming subscription.

The MMP software covers model year 1996 and newer models for reprogramming.

Glad to hear that there are others out there. I also can't believe how much dealers are unaware of TSBs & other issues. They don't even offer to look up issues or TRY to help.

Our VIN is earlier than that listed, so I think this TSB will be the fix. I'll print it & put it in the car for the next time we are near the dealer. I wonder what other TSBs might be out there that would be valid updates for our car....

Last edited:
Glad to hear that there are others out there. I also can't believe how much dealers are unaware of TSBs & other issues. They don't even offer to look up issues or TRY to help.

Our VIN is earlier than that listed, so I think this TSB will be the fix. I'll print it & put it in the car for the next time we are near the dealer. I wonder what other TSBs might be out there that would be valid updates for our car....
Service advisor told me he's glad to have a copy of the TSB which made me think it's not easy to find a TSB fixing problems we have. And although the "Oil change due" message doesn't display unexpectedly anymore but the oil life % seems to be stuck at 60% for a long time even though it has over 5,000 miles on oil life. It seems our CX-5's oil life monitor is now having problem meeting the second scenario listed in the TSB!

According to Owner's Manual, the message should pop up "when the remaining oil life distance is less than 500 km (250 mile), or remaining days are less than 15 (whichever comes first)." The first time before the PCM software upgrade the oil life displayed at 30% when I saw the message. In theory, the "Oil change due" should only displayed when oil life goes down to almost 0% or reaches the 10,000-mile / 12-month cap.

Yeah it seems we as the car owners need to spend time and effort to find TSBs for our problems. I know there're a couple of more TSBs on our CX-5 waiting to get resolved - the weathered and crooked plastic A-pillar trim and deformed LED headlights.

A brief followup to this. After the update almost a year ago, there really is no change. Even after an oil change & resetting the oil life monitor in the center infotainment center AND on the dash when it randomly shows up there....the oil change reminder on the dash keeps coming up at random engine starts. It seems like every 5 starts sometimes, then other times it doesn't show for quite a few starts.

Still aggravated as this issue.

A brief followup to this. After the update almost a year ago, there really is no change. Even after an oil change & resetting the oil life monitor in the center infotainment center AND on the dash when it randomly shows up there....the oil change reminder on the dash keeps coming up at random engine starts. It seems like every 5 starts sometimes, then other times it doesn't show for quite a few starts.

The wrench came on this morning. I dont have flexi - just pushed it back 2500 miles. I think its ok to do it 7K miles. 9K if you really dont wanna spend a lot.
Rather use the money saved on a re usable air / cabin filter.

Flexi option is weird because in most circumstances it will go to 10K miles easily - the service rep said dont set it up - engines blow up since buyers dont change oil every 5k miles. I said I will be a nice puppy and change oil every 300 miles - he agreed it was best option. Now I live at my dealers place on weekends to get oil changes done.

I got feeling that either your dealer didn't follow the proper procedure listed in the TSB to update your PCM software, or they used an earlier version hence your Flexible OCI function still does not behave well! My dealer actually had to spend about half an hour just to find the latest version from Mazda support. My Flexible OCI is working fine after the PCM update.

Back