2012 Bluetooth Issues....

tim_arkansas

:
Mazda 5, Touring, 2012
Hello everyone. First post:

I picked up a 2012 Mazda5 Touring 2 months ago with 24,000 miles on it. Absolutely love this vehicle with the exception of one irritation; the Bluetooth! I've searched for a fix, and haven't found a specific thread mentioning the same issues as mine. I have connected 3 different Android phones: Samsung Note 3, Motorola ATRIX HD, BLU One Life X and they all have the same result. I can stream music, and change songs using the steering wheel controls, but when receiving a call, I'll press the "pick up" button and the phone audio is switched to the handset. Sometimes the radio display still shows Sirius radio, or Bluetooth song, but there is silence through the stereo. Other times the display shows that I'm on a phone call, but the Sirius radio or Bluetooth song starts blaring in the car, so then I'm trying to hit the power button, grabbing my phone to talk, etc.

I've tried everything from deleting the car from the phone, resetting the audio system by pulling the negative battery cable, deleting all the pairings in the car with the same result every time. Am I alone on this? I've read that 2013's have USB, so the software can be updated, but 2012 obviously doesn't have the USB port.

At this point it's more important to me to have a functioning hands free phone that connects every time than using the OEM Bluetooth system. I'm debating on purchasing a Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - supports aptX. I have one of these in my 1995 Lexus and it works flawlessly. The only gripe I have with this is not being able to change tracks with the steering wheel and the lack of track information on the dash display. If I do get a call I can toggle to the Aux input from the steering wheel and still have volume control at least. Using the Kinivo I'd also get my "ok Google" function back, and not have to transfer contacts one at a time to the voice control.

I guess I'm just posting wondering if anyone else has had the experience I have, or if it's possibly just a random Bluetooth module issue. Regardless, unless the module is moderately priced, I'm tempted to go with the Kinovo at $35, than changing out a Bluetooth module that may or may not solve my issue.

Back