Brand new CX-5 oil leak

Nothing about a cvt is normal...

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

+1

Was reading in the Honda forums about people having problems with the CVT being "jerky". There's videos on youtube of the Honda CVT issue as well. Lots of them get the run around and are told its normal.

Honda has addressed the issue of vibrations at idle AFAIK with a TSB and the fix is part of 2016 MY.
To be fair, it was "normal" only that it could be very annoying.

To MJLyco

Hello, I have recently had the similar problem. Just bought a brand new 2016.5 CX 5 GT FWD with 8 miles on it. My wife and I drove it home and noticed a burning rubber smell. We thought it wasn't just a new car smell. We then drove to dinner with some friends and noticed the smell was still there. After these two instances we took it back to the dealership the next morning to have the racks installed and to have them check out the bad smell. We had the car for about 18 hours and returned the car with 56 miles on it. We were waiting to hear back from the dealership, who was waiting to hear back from Mazda. The dealership just called and told me that they are going to put a new transmission in this brand new car. This is ridiculous for a brand new car we just bought. I am writing to see how you went about getting a new replacement car if you can write me back I would appreciate it. Thank you

I don't care if the dealer makes money. I want a car free of manufacturing defects.

(hand)
Good luck buying any car in existence.

Consider yourself lucky they warrantied it and took care of you. Most dealers clean off oil leaks in hopes you don't return.
Just because you had a oil leak and engine replacement doesn't immediately deem the car unreliable. Stick to your routine maintenance at a Mazda dealer and they will take care of you since your a repeat customer.

At the end of the day it seems like most of the people on this forum want to immediately jump ship from the CX-5 the moment they have a warranty claim.
Rember folks...warranty repair = Free.

...I am writing to see how you went about getting a new replacement car if you can write me back I would appreciate it. Thank you
I just waited for the process to take its natural course but made sure to tell them what I found was acceptable and unacceptable to me. Mazda offered several solutions, some before others, and I chose the replacement vehicle. That doesn't mean they would always offer that to everyone. The only advice I can give is to know your rights & limitations for your particular claim. Maybe hone your negotiating skills, as that's a great life skill to have for many situations.

(hand)
Good luck buying any car in existence.

Consider yourself lucky they warrantied it and took care of you. Most dealers clean off oil leaks in hopes you don't return.
Just because you had a oil leak and engine replacement doesn't immediately deem the car unreliable. Stick to your routine maintenance at a Mazda dealer and they will take care of you since your a repeat customer.

At the end of the day it seems like most of the people on this forum want to immediately jump ship from the CX-5 the moment they have a warranty claim.
Rember folks...warranty repair = Free.

I realize no car is perfect but expecting an engine that works properly isn't unreasonable. Minor issues that only surface after thousands of cars are driven for many miles is one thing. A leaking engine day 1 is another.

I don't consider myself lucky that my warranty was honored. That's required by law. I do consider myself lucky that Mazda was fair and gracious enough to offer a replacement vehicle, however. They didn't have to.

Who said I want to jump ship? I have over 10k miles on my replacement CX-5 at this point. It's still a great car with good reliability. I just got a lemon. It happens.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! First post and its a doozy..
At the end of March (30th?) I bought a brand new 2016 CX-5 AWD GT with i-Activesense. Fully loaded.
This Sunday (5/15/16) I notice there's a puddle of oil in my garage... my brand new CX-5 (3,200 miles and ~1.5 month old) is leaking oil.
I made a service appt. Tuesday, hoping it was just a drain plug that wasn't torqued correctly. No such luck.
The service manager tells me Wednesday that the leak is coming from somewhere in the lower block and I may be in the loaner (2016 CX-5 touring base that smells bad) for a while. (headshake
Apparently they are in contact with Mazda about how to proceed. I haven't heard back from the dealer since then but I guess I should just let them take their time in case I need to lemon law it.

Has anyone had this happen to them? How good is Mazda with this sort of thing? If I push for a replacement car, how likely am I to get one? How would you proceed? Let them take their time or call for updates?
Also, the exhaust always smelled... off. Perhaps it was burning oil too? Does your CX-5 exhaust smell weird?

Thanks everyone. I'm sad this is my first post. I loved the car until I realized it was a lemon. (sad2)

To make matters worse, I seem to have no luck with cars.. I previously drove a 2010 Golf TDI 2-door that was part of the diesel emission scandal and my 2016 Golf 4-door that was on order had to be canceled because of the scandal. The 2-door was getting replaced with a 4-door because my first child was on her way. I was going to deal with the 2-door annoyance until the scandal settled but then it was added to the Takata airbag recall as well. I went to get a 2016 civic but it had a catastrophic engine failure recall and ongoing entertainment system recalls. I also looked at the 2016 Legacy and it just had a catastrophic steering column failure recall. I reluctantly went SUV with the CX-5 because it was supposed to be rock solid reliable according to consumer reports... now this.
(gah)
It happens. I have currently had 2 vehicles which had their oil-pans replaced. Neither leaked from the engine afterwards, and I knew about it only by checking service records (pre-owned vehicles).

The new engine did not leak. The oil was just residual. I waited for the higher ups to review my situation and they extended the replacement vehicle as an option. There were other options I won't go into but a warranty was offered. I took the replacement vehicle because of the concerns I have already posted about.

Yup. As long as Mazda makes EVs or hybrids in the future. My next vehicle will almost certainly be an EV or hybrid... but that's another thread. :p

ABSURD customer service! That is rare and unheard of. Point for Mazda!

I seem to be having similar issues with my brand new CX-5 as did the OP.

The car has less than 200 miles on it now and is a week old today. It smelled 'funny' the day we brought it home while in the garage but I attributed that to everything being new and coatings getting 'burned' off. Last night after parking it in the garage I clearly smelled what has to be oil making contact with hot exhaust parts. I'll have a looksee today while I'm installing my new splash guards.

I crawled around under our CX-5 over the weekend looking for the source of the burning oil smell. I found nothing. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye (nose) on it to see what develops.

Back