Brand new CX-5 oil leak

Update.
Mazda wants to replace my engine and inspect the old one to find out what went wrong... awesome.
Obviously, I'm not ok with that. The car has less than 3,000 miles.
Now begins my journey with customer care.
::sigh::

Did they ever mention what they thought the cause was?

Apparently they have no clue otherwise they won't replace the whole engine! I'd try to get the whole car replaced too but it won't be easy though... Just look at all of those transmission replacement on many almost new 2016 CX-5's, nobody got whole car replaced by Mazda North American Operations.

All I was told was that gasket like sealant paste appeared to be missing from somewhere in the lower block. Apparently it's in a tough spot to see.

My guess? Mazda wants the engine back to see if this is a systemic problem for engines manufactured at a certain time. Maybe a robot was faulty or ran out of paste or the were air bubbles. Who knows.

It's great that Mazda wants to investigate further. I just don't want to have ENGINE REPLACEMENT in all caps on my carfax. Nor do I trust a dealership with doing such a complex job 100% with no hiccups.

Sunday is day 20. I'll be sending my required "last chance", you have 1 attempt or 10 days, lemon law letter on Monday. They'll get the engine Tuesday. They may as well just give me a replacement car.. After the time the dealer quoted to replace the engine, I'll probably only need 5 days in the shop for any repairs to be able to get a lemon law refund.

If they won't give me a replacement, I'll ask for an extended warranty.

It's great that Mazda wants to investigate further. I just don't want to have ENGINE REPLACEMENT in all caps on my carfax. Nor do I trust a dealership with doing such a complex job 100% with no hiccups.
Right on! Nobody wants to be the guinea pig!

Other than missing sealer, it's also possible that the aluminum block may have crack or defect and somehow fell through the QA and got installed on engine assembly line.

Update:
I guess Mazda fast tracked the delivery and install of the engine because a new engine went in on Friday. (6/3/16)
I couldn't get to the dealer until today to inspect and pick up the vehicle.
Unfortunately there were black smudges on my white leather seats, there were large scratches to the frame in the engine bay (I was afraid of that. Source of rust in the future.), and most egregious of all... there was oil dripping onto the pavement. Awesome... the service manager wasn't there so I'm back in the loaner waiting on a call.

Update:
I guess Mazda fast tracked the delivery and install of the engine because a new engine went in on Friday. (6/3/16)
Unfortunately there were black smudges on my white leather seats, there were large scratches to the frame in the engine bay (I was afraid of that. Source of rust in the future.), and most egregious of all... there was oil dripping onto the pavement. Awesome... the service manager wasn't there so I'm back in the loaner waiting on a call.

Man, I feel you. Trusting the dealer with a engine swap is so risky. Since this is probably under warrantee pay, I wonder how much the mechanic got screwed over. In situations like this I think both the mechanic and the owner get screwed. One doesn't get paid right, the other might not get the quality they should get.

So the engine is still leaking? (mad)

So the engine is still leaking? (mad)

I'm not sure if the new engine is leaking, the old leaked oil wasn't cleaned out properly, oil was spilled filling the new engine, or some combination of issues. No scenario is acceptable though.

Update:

I feel for you. It is a no win situation. I share your sentiment that engine swap is a highly skilled job. Normal dealer mechanics are are not well trained or equipped enough to do such a complex job. Hope it is working out for you otherwise more ammunition for a replacement car. It is all the unwanted hassles though ...

The last time when I was at the dealership for a warranty job to fix up the tow bar software and hardware issue, my white leather seat was smeared as well. The second time, I made a complaint and they put a cover sheet before the servicing job which prevent any smudge or smear on the leather seat. IMHO, they should put a cover sheet on leather seat for every servicing job.

Last edited:
However; for an important job like an engine change you will probably have a real registered mechanic do the installation or at least inspect the work as it is being done. General warranty work is often performed by the floor sweeper or anyone that is free at that time. Ed

I'll do an interim oil change at 6 months or 6000 miles on my diesel. I'll take off the whole undercover, inspect for leaks and have a good look at the oil and filter for wear debris. I think there was a cam hardening problem with early engines but I thought that was all solved.

Update:
The dealer says the oil seen is left over from the last leak.
They're going to detail the car and clean up the oil then fix the scratches so the car won't rust.

Update:
The dealer says the oil seen is left over from the last leak.
They're going to detail the car and clean up the oil then fix the scratches so the car won't rust.

They really cause their own problems. Instead of doing all this in the first place and you go away reasonably content, they risk losing you as a customer. You can sell sand in the desert if your customer service is good.

MJLyco. What's the latest on your vehicle? Did you replace it or take the original with new engine?

MJLyco. What's the latest on your vehicle? Did you replace it or take the original with new engine?

The car was eventually replaced. Mazda USA did right by me in the end.
I think this was some sort of manufacturing glitch. I was just unlucky again. (I don't have great luck with cars)

The car was eventually replaced. Mazda USA did right by me in the end.
I think this was some sort of manufacturing glitch. I was just unlucky again. (I don't have great luck with cars)
What? Mazda replaced a whole car for you?! I thought they'd already given you a new engine and Mazda North American Operations are very persistent not replacing the whole car for you? Was the replacement engine still having oil leaks? Did they give you an exactly the same CX-5? Any further detailed info would be helpful for others with similar issues on their new CX-5.

That alone would sell me as a repeat customer.
Based on MJLyco's last several posts, it's possible MJLyco's replacement engine leaked again and MNAO had no choice but replaced a whole car. Otherwise MJLyco seemed to accept the fact of having a new engine although he definitely was not happy about it.

Based on MJLyco's last several posts, it's possible MJLyco's replacement engine leaked again and MNAO had no choice but replaced a whole car. Otherwise MJLyco seemed to accept the fact of having a new engine although he definitely was not happy about it.

The new engine did not leak. The oil was just residual. I waited for the higher ups to review my situation and they extended the replacement vehicle as an option. There were other options I won't go into but a warranty was offered. I took the replacement vehicle because of the concerns I have already posted about.

Yup. As long as Mazda makes EVs or hybrids in the future. My next vehicle will almost certainly be an EV or hybrid... but that's another thread. :p

+1

Was reading in the Honda forums about people having problems with the CVT being "jerky". There's videos on youtube of the Honda CVT issue as well. Lots of them get the run around and are told its normal.

Back