Anyone install a microphone by the visor for voice/bluetooth calls?

JLiRD808

:
2002 Protege5
Easy install? Go behind the dash and up the left pillar yeah?

Just wondering if I should have a new HU with hands free pro installed or DIY.

Thanks!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Or install anywhere else? Heard some ppl put the mic by the dash gauges.

I no longer have my BT mic, but when I did, I routed the wire behind/under the steering wheel and then up the left side of the dash:

IMG_0296.jpg

Nice! Did anyone say it was hard to hear u or there was background noise?

Also...what mic u used? I was gonna just use the stock mic that comes with a Pioneer 4100NEX. Wondering if I should upgrade the mic.

TKS!!

I have actually done a lot of research into this, it is my job. Literally :) The best place to mount the microphone is to the headliner, centered above the rear view mirror. This will result in the best voice pickup with least amount of road noise. The headliner helps to dampen and isolate some road noise, and you need all the help you can get, these cars have a LOT of road noise.

Nice! Did anyone say it was hard to hear u or there was background noise?

Also...what mic u used? I was gonna just use the stock mic that comes with a Pioneer 4100NEX. Wondering if I should upgrade the mic.

TKS!!

It was a JVC HU. I only had it for a short while, so I didn't have a lot of sample data. But I didn't have any complaints about cal quality.

Thx for replies...I'll keep them in mind!

So it doesnt sound too complex to set up then....hopefully I dont need a pro to help!

I did center of headliner above the rr view. Easy since already had that apart to do compass/temp/homelink/maplight/autodim rr view install. Wiring routed in same place. Also my take was sharing the mic with passenger. Both me and the wife participate in a road call on occasion. No complaints about noise but that would depend on the mic to a large degree. I'm sure they aren't all created equal.

Last edited:
Back