Extended Warranty

jtstott

:
No zoom zoom yet
Yes I know they are a gamble and not always worth the cost.

Has anyone recently bought a Mazda (not 3rd party) Extended Warranty.
What prices and terms were you offered? How much did you actually pay?

With Subaru (wife has an outback) through a similar forum there were a few dealers across the country that sell the extended warranties at a decent discount.
Are there any known Mazda dealers that sell discounted extended warranties?

Thanks

This should be part of price negotiation but with finance guy. I was a bit worried about Mazda's reliability and got talked into 10-year / 100,000-mile 3rd-party EasyCare extended warranty for $1,584. I did ask for Mazda's but she said there isn't one. Later I found Mazda does offer Total Confidence extended warranty and I called and cancelled the extended warranty.

This should be part of price negotiation but with finance guy. I was a bit worried about Mazda's reliability and got talked into 10-year / 100,000-mile 3rd-party EasyCare extended warranty for $1,584. I did ask for Mazda's but she said there isn't one. Later I found Mazda does offer Total Confidence extended warranty and I called and cancelled the extended warranty.

I thought I read that the Mazda TC is still outsourced to a 3rd party, no? I sent Easy Care a request for their extended as I'd seen other Mazda owners say it was decent, but I haven't heard anything back and that was a bit ago.

Total waste of money 'cause Mazda does not offer its own warranty but oursources it. The company out sourced has horrendous reputation.

Only extended mechanical warranty I'd get would be from Geico Insurance. Strictly from the reviews I read. Otherwise I "self fund".

Total waste of money 'cause Mazda does not offer its own warranty but oursources it. The company out sourced has horrendous reputation.

You realize the 3rd party company differs from each dealer or general area right? So your blanket statement doesn't really work unless it is the same company as him.

I bought the 10 year / 100k warranty. Was offered a fairly large discount on it since I knew the sales manager at the location I bought it. I've heard one of the LED headlights can run $1,200 each. I rather have the piece of mind for 10 years. You will spend slightly more monthly, but no unexpected bill for a LONG time.

i got extended form dealer . i did it cuz i got tec and i was told it covered headlights taillights radio and more . i dont want to have to pay the price they want for headlights if some of the leds go out . id have to ask my girl what els it covers cuz i forget .

With Subaru (wife has an outback) through a similar forum there were a few dealers across the country that sell the extended warranties at a decent discount.

Thanks

I bought the Mazda one, but only because I had never owned a Mazda before. I don't think the odds are ever in ones favor that it will get used, but I usually keep my cars for 8 to 10 years so we'll see.

Thanks

I was able to get a Toyota ext warranty for my wife's 08 RAV4 from an out-of-state dealer for $659 for 8 years (+5 on OEM), 86k (+50k) miles, $0 deductible. Dealer wanted 2x that when we bought the car, so we passed. Got $750 worth of repairs covered. [emoji3]

On my 07 VW Eos, I paid $2,500 for 10 yr 100k $0. Got $7500 worth of repairs covered in 9.5 years when I sold it. Loved the car but was afraid to keep it.

I will definitely be getting one for the CX-5 GT with Tech and Sensing for which I'm getting bids now. I'm including the warranty in the bids, but several dealers offer 3rd party which I'm not interested in. (I know the Mazda EW is from someone else, but they will stand behind what they sell if push comes to shove.) Bids for 9 yr/100k/$0 ded. started out at $2,900 but have gotten down to $1,920 as the competition heats up.

Some of the better bids on the CX-5 are from dealers who sell non-Mazda EW's. I'd like to consider them, but lose any leverage for a good discount on the Mazda offering if bought after/alone. So, any good sources for just the warranty? I found a web site that had the 9/100/0 for earlier years for $2,295, but not for the '16/.5. (IIRC)

TIA!

PaulZooms

The Finance guy at the dealer told me how bad the Mazda warranty was or how limited it was. He said "Look these cars have lot of electronics and they are complex to fix." I totally trusted him and got bumper to bumper warranty for 100k Miles and 10 years. I will mostly renew it in 2026.

i got extended form dealer . i did it cuz i got tec and i was told it covered headlights taillights radio and more . i dont want to have to pay the price they want for headlights if some of the leds go out . id have to ask my girl what els it covers cuz i forget .

Agreed, better to get ext warranty if you have the LED tech and i-sense packages, those are very expensive to fix if they go out. just all round better piece of of mind knowing it's covered if it goes out, the std warranty 3 years/36,000 just don't cut it these days with all the electronics involved.

Thanks

Take the money you would of spent on the extended warranty and put it in a money market with half-way decent interest rate. Chances are if you have a problem after the 3 yr/6 yr warranty expires it will be less than the amount you have invested.

My wife took the extended warranty on her CR-V. It was about 1,200.00. In the 5th year there was some problem with the power steering pump. Needed an O-ring. Total came to about $50.00 with labor. Covered by extended warranty. That was the only thing during the life of the extended warranty. Of course after the extended warranty expired the A/C compressor clutch and coil went which cost us $704.00 out of pocket. Wish I would of put the $1,200.00 in a savings account.

You don't have to buy an extended warranty until right before your bumper-to-bumper expires, and the price is the same. Why would you pay for it now?

You don't have to buy an extended warranty until right before your bumper-to-bumper expires, and the price is the same. Why would you pay for it now?

To get the best price. Bundling with car purchase maximizes your leverage.

For some brands, price goes up as you approach the end of OEM warranty.

IIRC, Mazda full coverage is reduced after 1 year (squeaks, rattles, cosmetic stuff covered in yr 1).

Last edited:
To get the best price. Bundling with car purchase maximizes your leverage.

For some brands, price goes up as you approach the end of OEM warranty.

IIRC, Mazda full coverage is reduced after 1 year (squeaks, rattles, cosmetic stuff covered in yr 1).

My dealership told me that the OEM extended warranty could be purchased anytime until the factory warranty expires and price and coverage is the same. If I try to buy it after the 3yr/36k is up, then the coverage/price is different. This is the same for every car I've purchased including BMW, MB, Toyota, Acura. I don't buy extended warranties until before the original one is almost up. Usually, there is a dealership out there that will sell factory warranties for less than retail price.... so if I want one, I have three years to find the best price.

My dealership told me that the OEM extended warranty could be purchased anytime until the factory warranty expires and price and coverage is the same. If I try to buy it after the 3yr/36k is up, then the coverage/price is different. This is the same for every car I've purchased including BMW, MB, Toyota, Acura. I don't buy extended warranties until before the original one is almost up. Usually, there is a dealership out there that will sell factory warranties for less than retail price.... so if I want one, I have three years to find the best price.

FWIW, pricing on the Mazda website for the MEC-TC-VSA is based on mileage. For >12k miles, 9 yr 100k $0 ded is $2,295. ( I'm getting this for $1,920 from my dealer).

http://mazdaextendedwarranty-bachro...r=2016&model=CX5&state=CO&inservice=&prcTwo=y

2016 CX-5 is now listed on that site.

At 12-24k miles, it goes to $2,639. For 24-36k or 36-49.5k, only 7 year coverage is available for $2,679 and $2,784 respectively.

IIRC, Honda has similar mileage-based post-purchase pricing.

Last edited:
Back