Rusty Rear Brake Drums

:
2021CX30GT 2014 2
My 2014 2 is 7 months old and drums are no longer black (rust). Looks crappy with the stock alloys.
I would rather not have to remove the drums, so anybody had any luck painting the drums with heat resistant paint or zinc paint? I was thinking silver or grey might look good.
Any previous experience or recommendations?

You honestly probably don't even need heat resistant paint on them. You're probably fine taking a wire wheel to them, priming, then painting them.

After eight hot laps at Hallet Speedway, (10 turns in 1.8 miles or 2.9K each lap), my rear drums measured 140 degrees Fahrenheit (60 C according to Google) after hard use. I would not expect hitting this temp on the street.

I used grill paint and it lasted 2 years one of which was during winter in the salt belt. They still look good but there are a couple spots coming through. I'm going to hit it with a wire brush and another couple coats next weekend.

I'm also in a salt belt but I didn't expect that much rust after one winter. The dealer will replace them under warranty but what is the point.
I think I will try wire brushing and brush on Tremclad rust paint.
I will try to remember to report back in two years. haha

A few companies make specialty brake caliper paint kits. The stuff goes on pretty thick and looks tough, and I'd imagine it would work just as well on drums. Another option is to get the drums powdercoated; a local place told me they do a surprising amount of business that way.

Back