HCCI Tech

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
Saw this linked over on Mazda 6 forums

Next Generation All-New 2017 Mazda 6 To Feature HCCI Tech

http://www.carlist.my/news/next-generation-all-new-2017-mazda-6-feature-hcci-tech/38635

The next generation Mazda 6 is rumoured to go on sale sometime around 2017, a rather reasonable time frame considering that current generation Mazda 6 has been in production since November 2012.

Production of the previous generation Mazda 6 ran for five years, and assuming that the same model lifecycle is followed by the current generation Mazda 6, an end-2017 timing for the next generation model is just about right.

If this rendered image of unknown origin that has been circulating among Japanese social media sites proves to be accurate, then the next generation Mazda 6 will not introduce any significant stylistic changes, apart from adopting some styling elements first seen in the US-market CX-9.

Machine Grey seems to be the next communication colour (as opposed to the current models Soul Red), and the edges of Mazdas signature grille are likely to be thicker, and cuts deeper in the headlamps. The grilles slates could be also thicker.

Unverified sources are claiming that the next Mazda 6 will be even lighter, featuring a slightly smaller body but with a longer wheelbase, so cabin space remains uncompromised.

Exterior length is likely to be shortened by 65 mm to 4,800 mm, while height will be lowered by 30 mm to 1,420 mm. Width remains unchanged at 1,840 mm. More importantly, while the body might be smaller, wheelbase has been lengthened by 20 mm to 2,850 mm, which in theory should mean a more spacious cabin something which the current Mazda 6 lacks against its peers.

Under the hood, a new generation of SkyActiv-G petrol engines, this time featuring Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) technology, is rumoured to power Mazdas latest D-segment mode

In simple terms, HCCI is an ultra-efficient combustion technology for petrol engines. It combines a very diesel-like auto ignition behaviour, where fuel and air is ignited by means of compression rather than spark.

In the past, Mazdas Managing Executive Officer In Charge of Powetrain Development Mr. Mitsuo Hitomi have mentioned before that the next generation of Mazdas SkyActiv petrol and diesel engines will grow in similarity. Increasing thermal efficiency by doing away with conventional spark ignition for its petrol engines and replacing it with a diesel-like HCCI compression ignition will be the most radical change.

Engine capacity is likely to remain the same, at 2.0-litre and 2.5-litre for petrol variants, and 2.2-litre for the SkyActiv-D diesel variant.

The new petrol engines are rumoured to be more powerful, with the 2.0-litre variant said to hit 170 PS (up from 155 PS in the current 6), while torque is said to reach 215 Nm, up from 200 Nm. Currently, the most powerful iteration of the 2.0-litre SkyActiv-G engine pushes out 165 PS and 210 Nm in the Mazda 3.

The larger 2.5-litre variant is claimed to offer a similar jump in power, from 187 PS to 210 PS, while torque is claimed to increase from 250 Nm to 275 Nm.

As mentioned earlier, these are all merely speculations curated from unofficial sources.

I think the speculation on HCCI is reasonable, as Mazda has mentioned 18:1 compression since 2014. Two years is a reasonable timeframe to make the technology stable for production.
http://techxplore.com/news/2014-03-cleaner-electric-mazda-gasoline-fuel.html

Also, Dave Coleman recently mentioning about shaving even more weight from the Miata instead of adding power, so they are likely going in the same direction for the other models.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a29115/mazda-engineers-lighter-miata/

I know I'm supposed to root for cleaner technology like Tesla, but news from Mazda always excite me :)

I personally have an aversion to turbos so really curious to see what they can do.

Performance..yes..a given.. but I've yet to see data showing me that a "turbo" will provide increased reliable vehicle longevity
Totally agree with you on turbos. The other reason more auto makers elect to offer turbos is they're a lot easier to be programmed with smaller displacement engine for better EPA MPG under its guidelines. The real world MPG would definitely suffer when performance is in demand.

I remember first reading about HCCI from an issue of Sport Compact Car. I don't remember who wrote it, but it was probably Dave. Interesting how now the technology has come to fruition in a company he does R&D for. I am also a N/A engine guy. I applaud Mazda for trying new things. I wonder if this new technology will be implemented into the new RX8?

If it does indeed hit the market, I will wait for the guinea pigs (early adopters) to test it out 1st. No matter how much testing manufacturer did there will be quite a bit of kinks which by 3rd. iteration should stabilize. In other words, if 2017 it does come out, the best bet would be 2019 models, I guess.

There have been multiple reports in 2014 and 2015 about Mazda's HCCI efforts. Some of these report a 2020 time-frame.
Keep in mind that the tech is difficult to master because it is something nobody was able to produce before, so it can easily slip. I would be actually (pleasantly) surprised if this will be available for 2017 MY or even 2018 MY.
It would be wise to skip at least 2 and maybe even 3 years before getting one, to avoid issues which were not discovered in testing.

I was listening to the Autoline This Week podcast a couple of weeks ago and the topic was advanced propulsion systems, and I'm pretty sure they talked about this one.
Direct Link:
http://media.autoline.tv/media/9/164897019.mp3
All of their podcasts:
http://www.autoline.tv/autoline/feeds/autoline-audio-only.xml

All 3 of the ones discussed have been in development for many years, and are about ready to hit prime time.

I will also mention back in Feb. they did a podcast with Senior Vice President of Mazda’s North American Operations, Robert Davis. It was a great interview, and shows that Mazda is still on the right track.
Direct Link:
http://www.autoline.tv/media/9/2066569959.mp3

I listen on my iphone, so you can also find the podcasts in Itunes store, and google may have it as well. Well worth a listen for both.

Latest posts

Back