Automatic Shifting Hard

:
2012 Mazda Mazda5 Sport
My 2012 Mazda5 Sport has 73,000 miles on it. I bought it last October with 64,000. Twice now, when passing cars, I'll press the pedal, not even to the floor, and the engine will start to rev and then SLAM into gear. It is very worrying. I'm going to try changing the fluid this weekend, but is there something else I need to be looking for?

This is my wife's around town, kid-hauler. It is mostly used in town with the occasional two-hour trip to grandma's. We average around 22mpg combined. Other than the hard shift when passing, the transmission seems fine. Smooth shifts and no complaints. It's not as peppy as some other cars I've driven, but I chalk that up to small-ish engine, big car, and an automatic transmission.

Has anyone else heard of this happening? While we bought it from a dealer, the condition of the upholstery makes me believe that this 5 has been a kid taxi its whole life. I can't imagine a mom doing neutral drops at stop lights. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Hmmm.

Of course, make sure the trans fluid level isn't too low. When is the last time the fluid was changed?

While we bought it from a dealer, the condition of the upholstery makes me believe that this 5 has been a kid taxi its whole life. I can't imagine a mom doing neutral drops at stop lights.

Or a rental unit, or an Uber driver's car, etc. My interior has its fair share of stains from the previous owner.

I think my 5 was a personal taxi like an Uber car. It still has three areas of velcro where signage must have been attached. One on the glove box, and one on each of the interior of the sliding doors. As if to be seen by passengers.

I guess that's a possibility. I checked the transmission fluid the first time it happened and the level was within the safe zone on the dipstick, but I didn't make note of the color. As far as I know, the fluid has never been changed, but of course I didn't buy it new. I didn't get around to changing the fluid this weekend. Alas, I'm only one man. I'll get it soon. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
My 2012 Mazda5 Sport has 73,000 miles on it. I bought it last October with 64,000. Twice now, when passing cars, I'll press the pedal, not even to the floor, and the engine will start to rev and then SLAM into gear. It is very worrying. I'm going to try changing the fluid this weekend, but is there something else I need to be looking for?

This is my wife's around town, kid-hauler. It is mostly used in town with the occasional two-hour trip to grandma's. We average around 22mpg combined. Other than the hard shift when passing, the transmission seems fine. Smooth shifts and no complaints. It's not as peppy as some other cars I've driven, but I chalk that up to small-ish engine, big car, and an automatic transmission.

Has anyone else heard of this happening? While we bought it from a dealer, the condition of the upholstery makes me believe that this 5 has been a kid taxi its whole life. I can't imagine a mom doing neutral drops at stop lights. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy,

Regarding the ATF... my dealer's parts department hesitated when I asked about change interval. Said that my vehicle (2014MY so very similar to yours) was filled with a full synthetic Mazda M-V ATF and should be changed at about 60k miles. Service department of the same dealer recommended that it be changed at 30k miles. So there is no consensus at that dealer and to make matters worse, the OM doesn't list an interval either. I'd say change the fluid not once but several times, about one week or 100+ miles apart via a drain and fill method. (Hope that makes sense.) If you don't have access to the M-V fluid then try its Ford sibling (ATF for FNR5 transmissions) or one of the following aftermarket options:
  • Beck Arnley part #252-2005
  • Idemitsu Type-M part #10113-042P
  • Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic (red bottle)
  • Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic (blue bottle)
  • Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle
  • Castrol Transmax Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic
  • Red Line D4

There are probably other choices but that's what I've written down while researching this ATF change subject. Hope it helps a little.

As to the interior, upholstery quality of the 5, in my opinion, is not very high. It tends to stain easily.

Last edited:
I'd try Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle or Red Line. Personally use Castrol and so far no complaints.
I change 4L every 20k just in case. What ever you do, don't use Ford ATF, it is close but far enough apart to cause issues.

If your fluid is black and smelly, which I suspect it will be, try flushing it with 3 gallon size cans of new fluid. Disconnect the tranny line from cooler and pump out a 3/4 gallon at a time till you get red fluid coming.
Drain and fill 3 times is ok but not as effective in getting rid of all the old fluid as you always mix new and old.

I'd try Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle or Red Line. Personally use Castrol and so far no complaints.
I change 4L every 20k just in case. What ever you do, don't use Ford ATF, it is close but far enough apart to cause issues.

Not sure if you mean twenty thousand miles or kilometers... but either way, it is safe with just about any ATF. I bet even Dexron would be fine at that frequency although not worth experimenting of course. :) I did a D&F with Castrol Transmax Import about 6500 miles and 7-8 months ago. So far so good but that is a very short period of time.

I've never heard that FNR5 ATF is dangerously different from M5 but I suppose if other options especially OEM Mazda M5 ATF or Idemitsu Type-M ATF (almost identical to OEM M5) are available then the OP is all set.

Not sure if you mean twenty thousand miles or kilometers...
KM. I did initial full drain at 25k. 20k for me it works out to be every year and a half. Now I just drain and fill one gallon and keep on going :)
I have to say stock Mazda 5 tranny fluid smelled so bad after 25k that I initially though I drained a wrong fluid, I almost threw up from its smell as I did not expect it to be that bad.
Did it only one since changing to Castrol but also after adding an external tranny cooler and the smell and color were "normal".

I've never heard that FNR5 ATF is dangerously different from M5 but I suppose if other options especially OEM Mazda M5 ATF or Idemitsu Type-M ATF (almost identical to OEM M5) are available then the OP is all set.

Mazda actually issues a TSB against using Ford Mercon V, it says 2004-2011 but it is an old TSB with no changes even on 2015 I can't see it not being applied.

MAZDA TSB: 05-002/11 - A/T - Correct Fluid Applications
Last issued: 02/23/2011; supersedes the previous bulletin 05-005/08 issued on 04/11/08

This TSB applies to all 2004-2011 Mazda3s and 5 with A/T. Always be sure to use the correct automatic transmission fluid when replacing the ATF. Using ATF other than ATF M-V (Type M5) in automatic transmissions designed to use this fluid may cause shift quality complaints. Using ATF other than Mercon V or Mercon LV ATF in automatic transmissions designed to use these fluids may cause transmission damage.
NOTE:
ATF M-V (Type M5) is not the same fluid as Mercon V or Mercon LV ATF.
ATF M-V (Type M5) has a greater viscosity than Mercon V and Mercon LV ATF at low temperatures.
ATF M-V (Type M5) has a greater anti-judder specification than Mercon V and Mercon LV ATF.

Last edited:
Mazda actually issues a TSB against using Ford Mercon V, it says 2004-2011 but it is an old TSB with no changes even on 2015 I can't see it not being applied.

Agreed but I mentioned ATF for Ford FNR5 transmissions which is same fluid as Mazda M5 ATF. It is NOT the same as Ford/Mazda Mercon V. I did not recommend Mercon V.

To the OP: Vasy and I were not on the same page about the Ford ATF. You can probably ignore our back and forth about it.

Last edited:
Planning to keep car long? If yes, flush all of the fluid at one go. You have a lot of mileage. You can DIY (uses trans fluid pump) or take it to a shop (use an external machine that applies pressure to drain and fill). Optionally, add an oil cooler. How/Where you use the car determines the cooler BTU rating to consider (should not be much).

http://www.flex-innovations.com/atx_flush.htm
^ This is an old how-to, which at the time there was confusion between Mercon V (aka MV) vs Mazda's Type M-5 (aka M-V, M5, origin is Ford FNR5 -same thing different bottle). MV/M V and M-V/M5 can be confusing. Do NOT use Mercon V, that goes into the power steering only for this car. If you care to know more about any of the fluids, search/read BITOG.com.

Looking to get the car running and you really don't care? If yes, do a drain and fill. IMO, doing drain and fill 3 times takes more effort than a one-time DIY flush, which is also less intrusive than a machine flush. *Internet rumor* is that pressure flushing can (or is that may?) disturb sediments that build-up that allow it to behave a certain way. Sounds like a bunch of phooey to me but it’s been said.

Last edited:
Changed it to Castrol Transmax Import Multi Vehicle this afternoon. She shifts better, feels like a much lighter car, and even full throttle passes are smooth and drama-free. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Agent- I'm curious to know if you've noticed any odor when using this fluid? Typically noticeable at stop light, etc.

Agent- I'm curious to know if you've noticed any odor when using this fluid? Typically noticeable at stop light, etc.

Not sure about OP but I used Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF during my most recent (and only so far) transmission service. Nasty odor was noticeable right as I opened the bottle! And then the more you spill during the re-fill process the more you will smell it for the first couple of weeks. :) Then the smell goes away. Now that it's been in service for several months (since Oct 2015)... no unpleasant smells in the engine compartment and from the dipstick.

My wife's car has 76K and all the engine mounts are/were shot and it greatly increased drivetrain drama.

I replaced the passenger side and dealer is doing tranny and rear a couple Saturdays from now. I'm sure it will be a lot smoother. Pressing on the throttle jerks the drivetrain now.

Good to know. I'll check the mounts. My wife hasn't complained about the smell but she is coming home from her mom's house two hours away. I'll ask.

Good to know. I'll check the mounts. My wife hasn't complained about the smell but she is coming home from her mom's house two hours away. I'll ask.

If you press the gas pedal and get a jerk, you have bad mounts. When new, these cars don't have that.

You can also have someone shift from park to drive and reverse and see the engine moving around way too much. Ours does, anyway.

My wife's car has 76K and all the engine mounts are/were shot and it greatly increased drivetrain drama.

I replaced the passenger side and dealer is doing tranny and rear a couple Saturdays from now. I'm sure it will be a lot smoother. Pressing on the throttle jerks the drivetrain now.

I'm wondering if the motor mounts and transmission mount is the actual problem. I did the transmission fluid change and got smoother results at first, but the harsh shifting is now back. My wife mentioned that when she backs out of the driveway and puts it into drive, she gets a hard jerk in the transmission. I did notice what seems to be a lot of motion in the engine when my wife shifted back and forth from reverse to drive while stopped in the driveway.

Not sure about OP but I used Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle ATF during my most recent (and only so far) transmission service. Nasty odor was noticeable right as I opened the bottle! And then the more you spill during the re-fill process the more you will smell it for the first couple of weeks. :) Then the smell goes away. Now that it's been in service for several months (since Oct 2015)... no unpleasant smells in the engine compartment and from the dipstick.

Just for everyone's information, I did the Transmax ATF change and got no odd smells at all. I don't recall spilling any though.

Just for everyone's information, I did the Transmax ATF change and got no odd smells at all. I don't recall spilling any though.

Really? Huh... either it's my nose :) or formulation changed... or I got an odd batch... I don't have any shifting issues but that ATF smelled differently than Valvoline, Hyundai and some other ATF's I've used in other vehicles. That was my first use of Castrol-branded ATF ever. Maybe it's actually normal smell for Transmax. What do I know...

I'm wondering if the motor mounts and transmission mount is the actual problem. I did the transmission fluid change and got smoother results at first, but the harsh shifting is now back. My wife mentioned that when she backs out of the driveway and puts it into drive, she gets a hard jerk in the transmission. I did notice what seems to be a lot of motion in the engine when my wife shifted back and forth from reverse to drive while stopped in the driveway.

This sounds like a mount. They are fluid filled, so check if you get any oil like substance on any of the motor mounts, if you do see it, replace that one.
Or just buy a pack of 3 on-line and swap them out, not a very hard job, just some wrenching.

Back