A better lubricant (maybe?) helping me go the distance!

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
I went from Mazda Moly oil to, to Mobile One Advanced Fuel Economy (both 0-20), today. I have consistently averaged between 22.5 and 23mpg, per tank, on my information read-out for my 70ish/30ish commute. I am anxious to see if economy will improve, decline, or remain the same. I feel confident in saying that if it breaks 23.5 for more than 2 tanks, I can note, short of "lab testing", that it indeed did improve, same for it it breaks below 22mpg. I get very consistent mileage from tank to tank, as above described. I am sure many opinions will surface in this thread in the interim, but after a tank or two, I'll update it with initial impressions.

I went from Mazda Moly oil to, to Mobile One Advanced Fuel Economy (both 0-20), today. I have consistently averaged between 22.5 and 23mpg, per tank, on my information read-out for my 70ish/30ish commute. I am anxious to see if economy will improve, decline, or remain the same. I feel confident in saying that if it breaks 23.5 for more than 2 tanks, I can note, short of "lab testing", that it indeed did improve, same for it it breaks below 22mpg. I get very consistent mileage from tank to tank, as above described. I am sure many opinions will surface in this thread in the interim, but after a tank or two, I'll update it with initial impressions.

What trim/drivetrain are you driving, that mpg seems very low. Are you 70ish city - 30ish highway?

Not sure where you are from, but here we have a summer blend and it affects MPG a bit.

I thought the Mazda moly oil was suppose to be pretty good stuff and actually help increase mileage. The moly is of higher concentration then other oils. It highly regarded over bobistheoilguy

Heavily skewed towards highway driving.
2.5l awd, 2015 touring, no roof rack or sunroof
36psi or so last I checked
Yeah, I'm used to much better mileage in relation to epa ratings. That is the one area in which this cx5 has been a total let down.

Sounds like a long shot, but the only way to find out is to run the experiment. Signal to noise may be a problem. In which case, the change wasn't material.

I went from Mazda Moly oil to, to Mobile One Advanced Fuel Economy (both 0-20), today.

Do you have a fairly trustworthy dealer? or do you change yourself as well. If dealer... possible they were just giving you a low grade non-moly synthetic. In another thread... I can't remember username.. the Blackstone report showed it wasn't Mazda moly oil even though that's what dealer reportedly sold them.

Like I have said in other threads... I may not know until I have 6 figure mileage if the moly oil was worth it.

Have you tried manual calculation?
Based on past posts of 75-85MPH, have you tried driving closer to the speed limit, e.g. +5 MPH?
Does the engine get full warmed-up by the time you get to work? How long is the commute?
How is traffic along your commute?

Have you tried manual calculation?
Based on past posts of 75-85MPH, have you tried driving closer to the speed limit, e.g. +5 MPH?
Does the engine get full warmed-up by the time you get to work? How long is the commute?
How is traffic along your commute?
Also, what size tires are you running?

Heavily skewed towards highway driving.
2.5l awd, 2015 touring, no roof rack or sunroof
36psi or so last I checked
Yeah, I'm used to much better mileage in relation to epa ratings. That is the one area in which this cx5 has been a total let down.

23MPG highway seems low. I have a 2016 GT with AWD, OEM roof rack, OEM mud flaps, 19" rims, and I average 29-31MPG highway.
I run 40psi COLD on my tires.
I keep speeds below 70MPH. Anything above 70MPH and your MPG will drop fast.

23MPG highway seems low. I have a 2016 GT with AWD, OEM roof rack, OEM mud flaps, 19" rims, and I average 29-31MPG highway.

That's good mileage. What is your average highway speed? And is the terrain flat?

I don't have enough miles to really understand how this car behaves. 20 freeway miles in a strong headwind and the mpg readout was well below 20 (70 mph). 70 - 75 mph cruising, less than 30 mpg it seams. 50 - 55 mph or so on a 2 lane road and it seems to be way way over 30 mpg. All vehicles do better mileage under lesser loads, but I wonder if the Mazda engine is extra sensitive to the throttle. I'm reading about the engine and it operates it has a myriad number operating parameters (Miller cycle, valve advance, fuel injection amount and timing, etc.).

Also, spent some time on BITOG, and there can be some but I suspect not material difference in mileage in the various 0W20 oils. 1%? So this will be a good experiment to see what you find. Thanks for keeping the community informed so we can all learn.

That's good mileage. What is your average highway speed? And is the terrain flat?

I don't have enough miles to really understand how this car behaves. 20 freeway miles in a strong headwind and the mpg readout was well below 20 (70 mph). 70 - 75 mph cruising, less than 30 mpg it seams. 50 - 55 mph or so on a 2 lane road and it seems to be way way over 30 mpg. All vehicles do better mileage under lesser loads, but I wonder if the Mazda engine is extra sensitive to the throttle. I'm reading about the engine and it operates it has a myriad number operating parameters (Miller cycle, valve advance, fuel injection amount and timing, etc.).

Average highway speed is around 55-70mph so around 63mph average.

Terrain is sometimes hilly with inclines and declines so in the end it balances out. Going one way on steep inclines I can see 26 mpg and then on the way back the declines see 34mpg giving me 30mpg average both ways.

I use 91 octane and air my tires at 40psi COLD

If you are averaging 22 MPG for highway driving, sell it and get another car. Whatever driving terrain or style you have does not work well with that car. By comparison, when I drive to DC, I average 65 mph and get 32 MPG. Heck, even driving to Maine with a car full of luggage, 4 people and bikes on the roof and back, I still got 27 mpg. Sell it and move on.

Your milage will likely go up because in Arkansas it is getting warmer. Mine goes up a couple of mpg summer over winter, all other thing the same. My C7 Corvette does also.

When I got 23mpg highway, I was doing 80-85 (speed limit). Most other vehicles I have had will drop 1-2mpg under such, but not 7!

If you are averaging 22 MPG for highway driving, sell it and get another car. Whatever driving terrain or style you have does not work well with that car. By comparison, when I drive to DC, I average 65 mph and get 32 MPG. Heck, even driving to Maine with a car full of luggage, 4 people and bikes on the roof and back, I still got 27 mpg. Sell it and move on.

It gets the job done. It's reliable. It does only take 87 octane. I am disappointed, but not disappointed enough to lose money getting out of it.

Back