Audio Upgrade Advice Needed

PewP3r

:
Mazda 3
Hi all, new to this forum... I have a 2005 Mazda 3 hatchback and the left tweeter went out, so I figured time to replace the speakers anyhow. Went to a local audio shop and the guy said to start with speakers and see how it goes, so I got Kickers (KSC-65 & 68). The sound has totally lost its "richness" and a bunch of bass, and during louder parts of songs (rock) the treble/mids are nearly painful; guessing because I have to have it that loud to get any bass. My question is, what do I do to remedy this and bring it back up to par with the stock speakers? I read a lot of people complaining about the Bose sound quality but honestly, this is way worse. Next step would be either a sub+amp or a new head unit w/more power. Thoughts?

Have you spoken to the folks at Crutchfield? I've found them to be extremely knowledgeable about upgrading auto audio. Of course, comments from those who have experimented and found the right combination is always helpful, as well.

Tell us more about the car. Did it have BOSE? Is the factory stereo still in it? That makes a huge difference. Just "replacing speakers" is a bad idea on factory upgraded sound systems.

If it was a non-BOSE model then there a few reason why your car sounds like crap now.
1. The Kicker speakers are nearly 100W RMS @ 4Ohm. You factory speakers were much more effiecent and the factory radio only outputs like 10W-25W.
2. You know have coaxial speakers were a set of components were. This changes the game especially if they kept the factory tweets
3. The speakers are all 6x8 all the way around. Kicker makes 6x8 components, I would have went for those.

Please let us know.

Have you thought of replacing the stock radio host too? If you replace it with an aftermarket radio like seicane 8701, it will improve the sound quality significantly and add other new features like gps navigation and steering wheel control etc. while keeping the relevant dashboard parts.

Back