How To not be a DB

purplengold

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech and I-ACTIV
Communities are for supporting each other. If you comment negatively on someone's post with your opinion you are a DB. There are ways to disagree with respect. It seems low class individuals aren't aware of this concept. So this is my how-to not be a DB.
1. Positivity goes a long way. If you don't have something nice to say then shut up.
2. If someone posts a question and is looking for knowledge and you don't know, then just stay quiet.
3. Don't respond with "You could find the answer in the owners manual." -this is one of the biggest DB comments on this entire site and if you've ever said it you should be ashamed.
4. Support each other.
5. Don't spout off about the lame rules of the forum.

I think you're completely wrong. Guess I'm a DB? And what adults use that abbreviation anyway?

You said: "If you comment negatively on someone's post with your opinion you are a DB". Really? So we all have to agree? Then what's the point? I don't think you're in the right place if you just want everyone to agree with you. No, all adults don't deserve a trophy just for participating and this isn't cheer leading camp. It's adults discussing cars.

You said: "Don't respond with "You could find the answer in the owners manual." -this is one of the biggest DB comments on this entire site and if you've ever said it you should be ashamed." Why is that? Contrary to what you learned as a child, there really are stupid questions. If you're too lazy to make an attempt to find the answer to your question - whether by looking in the obvious place like the owners manual or by doing a simple Google search - then you may be guilty of wasting the time of people on this forum. Again - man up and TRY to find your own answer before you take the easy way out and ask a question to the group. Luckily most questions here are awesome, but if you ask how to use a car feature with a clear answer in the manual, you just come off as lazy.

Feel free to call me names like you've already done with your "DB" comments. I don't see how someone speaking the way you do can really expect to tell others how to behave.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings on an internet forum now would we. We are all special delicate little flowers that need positive reinforcement and kind words to make us grow and feel good about our selves. I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now that I know there is someone in the world out there that might think I'm a "DB" :cry:

OK, I'm going to try to put some of the OP's How-To to use:

"1. Positivity goes a long way. If you don't have something nice to say then shut up." Great post robertmada! Well said!

"4. Support each other." Ride92. I think you're an important member of this forum and not a DB. (Hands Ride a tissue and a (first) for participating)

One final thought: I've always liked the quote "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak (or type) and to remove all doubt." I'll leave it to the forum to decide who removed all doubt.

Respectfully submitted.

I think you're completely wrong. Guess I'm a DB? And what adults use that abbreviation anyway?

You said: "If you comment negatively on someone's post with your opinion you are a DB". Really? So we all have to agree? Then what's the point? I don't think you're in the right place if you just want everyone to agree with you. No, all adults don't deserve a trophy just for participating and this isn't cheer leading camp. It's adults discussing cars.

You said: "Don't respond with "You could find the answer in the owners manual." -this is one of the biggest DB comments on this entire site and if you've ever said it you should be ashamed." Why is that? Contrary to what you learned as a child, there really are stupid questions. If you're too lazy to make an attempt to find the answer to your question - whether by looking in the obvious place like the owners manual or by doing a simple Google search - then you may be guilty of wasting the time of people on this forum. Again - man up and TRY to find your own answer before you take the easy way out and ask a question to the group. Luckily most questions here are awesome, but if you ask how to use a car feature with a clear answer in the manual, you just come off as lazy.

Feel free to call me names like you've already done with your "DB" comments. I don't see how someone speaking the way you do can really expect to tell others how to behave.

I will just note that:
1. Nobody said that everybody should agree with somebody's opinion. But "There are ways to disagree with respect".
2. Nobody wants to waste the time of people on this forum - If you can help - then do it, if not - do not waste time. But I agree that is senseless to say "Look at the manual".
3. Finally I support good intention and positivity as well. Nobody likes negative emotions.

And this is why there will never be a "dislike" button on Facebook. Millennials rule the internet and equate criticism with "bullying". And while I don't disagree with much of what purplengold says, the world (including internet auto forums) is not a "safe room" nor would I want it to be. I suggest you follow your own "golden rule" and set an example for others.

Disrespectful disagreement and flaming are acts of the Internet "DB". Reasonable discussions are the reasons these forums exist. If someone is wrong, then it must be pointed out that he is, but not flamed to the ground. Argument is not bullying. Just keep a civil tone and don't act like an American politician.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

Back