16' LED daytime running lights?

moJoe

:
2016 Mazda CX5 GT w/ Tech
Hey all, a quick question on the LED daytime running lights on the 2016 models. I have the Tech package and I have never noticed the DRL's on ie reflection off anything. The manual states something to the effect of "the DRL's will turn on when the car is in motion, etc".

Has anyone seen their DRL's and how do you know they are on?

Thanks, sorry if it's been covered elsewhere but didn't see anything,

Joe

Hey all, a quick question on the LED daytime running lights on the 2016 models. I have the Tech package and I have never noticed the DRL's on ie reflection off anything. The manual states something to the effect of "the DRL's will turn on when the car is in motion, etc".

Has anyone seen their DRL's and how do you know they are on?

Thanks, sorry if it's been covered elsewhere but didn't see anything,

Joe

your headlight control @ steering wheel - check to see if in AUTO. Then check DRL status.

The DRLs don't come on while in park (unless your lights are actually on... not just on the auto setting during daylight hours). Turn your headlight switch on to the parking lights setting. Then you can get out and see them illuminated. Or you can turn them all the way on and see all the lights lit up.

You won't always see them reflecting off the vehicle in front of you due to the many different contours of the sheet metal of various vehicles.

Last edited:
The DRLs don't come on while in park (unless your lights are actually on... not just on the auto setting during daylight hours). Turn your headlight switch on to the parking lights setting. Then you can get out and see them illuminated. Or you can turn them all the way on and see all the lights lit up.

You won't always see them reflecting off the vehicle in front of you due to the many different contours of the sheet metal of various vehicles.

Oh ok thanks, I was under the assumption like a few past cars that the DRL's were always on no matter what setting I had the lights on. I was just wondering as I've never seen them pulling into a storefront with reflective windows etc. Kinda odd, what's the point of having DRL's if they aren't always on during the day no matter your light setting?

Oh ok thanks, I was under the assumption like a few past cars that the DRL's were always on no matter what setting I had the lights on. I was just wondering as I've never seen them pulling into a storefront with reflective windows etc. Kinda odd, what's the point of having DRL's if they aren't always on during the day no matter your light setting?

They are always on while you're driving (regardless of the headlights setting), but when you put the car in park to go look at them they shut off if no other lights are turned on. By turning on your parking lights you can get out of the vehicle and see what they look like while they're on.

I see them in glass store fronts all the time... and often reflecting off the vehicle in front of me.

I'm only suggesting turning on the parking lights because it sounded to me like you weren't sure if your DRLs were illuminating.

Last edited:
They are always on while you're driving (regardless of the headlights setting), but when you put the car in park to go look at them they shut off if no other lights are turned on. By turning on your parking lights you can get out of the vehicle and see what they look like while they're on.

I see them in glass store fronts all the time... and often reflecting off the vehicle in front of me.

I'm only suggesting turning on the parking lights because it sounded to me like you weren't sure if your DRLs were illuminating.

Gotcha that makes more sense thanks. Hmmm I have looked for them in many reflections and never saw them, maybe I will have a friend look while I drive around a parking lot and see if they are on. I was thinking by now I should have noticed them. Thanks for the help!

Gotcha that makes more sense thanks. Hmmm I have looked for them in many reflections and never saw them, maybe I will have a friend look while I drive around a parking lot and see if they are on. I was thinking by now I should have noticed them. Thanks for the help!

No problem. Or just have your friend sit in the vehicle while its running and have him/her shift it into Drive or Reverse while holding down the brake pedal. No need to actually drive around.

No problem. Or just have your friend sit in the vehicle while its running and have him/her shift it into Drive or Reverse while holding down the brake pedal. No need to actually drive around.

I actually did that and no lights came on, the dealer mentioned something about the vehicle having to be in motion to a certain speed before they go on so I thought I'd check here.

I actually did that and no lights came on, the dealer mentioned something about the vehicle having to be in motion to a certain speed before they go on so I thought I'd check here.

Odd. Mine come on as soon as I put it into Drive. I even see them reflecting off of the car/truck in front of me when stopped at a red light or stop sign. You might be right about reverse... they might come on as soon as you start moving... I just don't recall. But I always pull into a parking space at my local Verizon wireless store, and see the DRLs come on when I back out of my space.

Drive through an empty leveled parking lot at least 15 mph. Stop and put the car in neutral (ensure no kids are inside). Step out of car and bask in the sweet glorious LED daytime halos. Essentially what I did to take a picture of my car in my avatar.

Drive through an empty leveled parking lot at least 15 mph. Stop and put the car in neutral (ensure no kids are inside). Step out of car and bask in the sweet glorious LED daytime halos. Essentially what I did to take a picture of my car in my avatar.

hah, I will do that with tactical roll and quick shot shutter speed, will leave my pug in passenger seat to stop the car, safety first!

I admit it's just DRL's but when you spend that bank you want to know everything's 100%

It's impossible to get out and look at your LED running lights because putting the car in park, applying the handbrake OR opening the door will switch them off. So will switching on the side lights or headlights. By switching on the side lights or headlights, you can get an idea of what they look like but at a much reduced brightness.

The best way is to get somebody to drive up the road and back while you look or watch out for another 15/16 model to pass you. They are very bright even in bright sunlight.

It's impossible to get out and look at your LED running lights because putting the car in park, applying the handbrake OR opening the door will switch them off. So will switching on the side lights or headlights. By switching on the side lights or headlights, you can get an idea of what they look like but at a much reduced brightness.

The best way is to get somebody to drive up the road and back while you look or watch out for another 15/16 model to pass you. They are very bright even in bright sunlight.

Thanks, I'm just wondering how I haven't ever see them, esp when creeping up to a car in traffic during the day, or when I back out from my garage the door would always reflect my old Honda CRV's DRL's. I'm going to have a friend check on them today, if they are not coming on I'll hit up the dealer.

DRLs turn on automatically when the vehicle starts moving to a speed. They turn off when the parking brake is applied or the automatic transmission is shifted to "Park". For example, if you're backing out from garage very slowly, DRLs won't turn on until you shift your gear and move forward. Yes, I can see DRL's reflection on the glass each time we pull up to the store front.

The other possibility is your DRL function could get turned off in the vehicle setup. Unfortunately this is dealer service only you've to let dealer to change the setup and enable the DRL function.

DRLs turn on automatically when the vehicle starts moving to a speed. They turn off when the parking brake is applied or the automatic transmission is shifted to "Park". For example, if you're backing out from garage very slowly, DRLs won't turn on until you shift your gear and move forward. Yes, I can see DRL's reflection on the glass each time we pull up to the store front.

The other possibility is your DRL function could get turned off in the vehicle setup. Unfortunately this is dealer service only you've to let dealer to change the setup and enable the DRL function.

Thanks so dumb question, if I had my lights switched to off and I was driving at night, would the DRL's come on? Or are they sensored to only come on when it's "day"? Sorry for the all the ?'s I'm wondering how to test them tonight if it's dark out already.

Thanks so dumb question, if I had my lights switched to off and I was driving at night, would the DRL's come on? Or are they sensored to only come on when it's "day"? Sorry for the all the ?'s I'm wondering how to test them tonight if it's dark out already.

Yes, they come on at night too. They're not light sensitive.

Yes the daytime LEDs will still turn on at night even if you turn off the headlights. Its the headlights which are sensored.

When the headlights are on, the daytime LEDs will dim in brightness.

Tell your mother in law to stand in front of the vehicle while in drive.
That will confirm a lot of doubts.

Back