Changing HID Bulbs on adaptive headlights help.

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
Hey all!

I'm a newbe. Just got my CX-5 last week, I've been looking for a how to change the HID bulb on the adaptive headlight. I don't like the color and I want it change it for a 5500k. I've been looking for info on how to do it. cant seem, to find anything on it. Normally I just kind of tinker around and figure it out (scratch) but I don't want to take a chance of messing up the Adaptive system.

I'd like to know if anyone has changed the HID bulb themselves too. The manual stats a Mazda professional needs to do it but I'm sure it can't be that hard but need to ensure the glass bulbs are not touched at all.

I was looking into changing the bulbs too since from close proximity it does emit a yellow hue but driving in front of the vehicle and looking back on my mirrors the light is very white with slight blue / purple hues. The stock 4300k colour temp bulbs provides the most lumens in terms of visibility somewhere around 3200 lumens. If you go a higher temperature colour ie. above 4500k, the lumens will drop and you will get less visibility. 4300k colour temperature is closest to daylight and hence the brightest. After a few months, HID bulbs colour shift anyway and the colour temperature will most likely increase to somewhere just below 5000k. For this reason, I've opted to stick with the stock HID colour temperature bulbs to have maximum visibility.

Last edited:
I've done it. You need to remove, or partially unhinge the bumper to access a covered bolt that secures the light at each rear corner of the housing. The rest of the bolts are unobstructed. Once removed there is a u type clip that you squeeze in and pull down, and then you can remove the bulb. You can try to remove it with the headlight still on, but you risk bending the clip and the light won't secure properly.
PTjWO93.jpg

8uzaOOm.jpg

Thanks Chris. How did you remove the plug attached to the back of the bulb? I'm alittle apprehensive about twisting it too much I can feel it move the headlight. When I've done things like this in the past the headlights are fairly stable because they don't turn. I just don't want to damage The adapter system.

Chris: Thanks for info on CX... changed the DR2 HIDs on my Maxima every 4 years or so.. still stock on my '07 G35x.

Back